AD700 headband mod?
Jul 3, 2009 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

KONAKONA

Banned
Right well this is a bit of a odd preference of mine, but I don't quite like the AD700 headband. Yes it is extremely comfortable, but for someone with a good bit of hair like me, it just comes off way to easily. Personally I wouldn't mind wearing them outside the house once and a while but the fact that they barely stay on my head (and that the AD700s have such a funky headband anyway) keeps me from doing so.

I did a quick search but it didn't bring anything up, so I'm asking here; has anyone ever modded/replaced the headband of the AD700s? Does anyone have any ideas on how it might be done, or even as much as how to get the cups off the current headband?

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 23
I use a small elastic band to help pull the wings together. Here is a snapshot of my phones. The elastic doesn't/should be to strong as the phones will ride up your head otherwise.

dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture2899-ad700-elastic-band-headband-mod.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 23
I did the same as dweaver except I also added a second rubber band that goes under the first rubber band, and over the two bars at the top. Seemed to work considerably better.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 23
hmmm, I'll try that second rubber band and see what it's like
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 23
well I couldn't find a second rubber band but I had a velcro zap strap handy and that has wrooked well, I also doubled up the elastic band to it has more clamp but may adjust back to a single wrap if I find it is to tight. This method allows for more clamping with the phones riding up your head as much. If people are wondering what this looks like let me know and I'll take a second picture.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried that band mod when I had the AD700, but it wasn't enough to make it comfortable. The more radical mod is to bend the over head bars at the apex into a V shape. I've seen pics of this posted by Head-Fiers.

Now that sounds like it might work better. Got any links to those posts?

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that sounds like it might work better. Got any links to those posts?

I can't find any links. I've only seen this mod posted twice with pics. The resident AD700 fanboy, fraseyboy, could tell you about it. Had I preferred the sound of the AD700 to my other headphones, I would have bent that sucker into shape for optimal comfort and posted pics.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 23
Well my AD700s have a very bent headband now. So much so that the cups touch when you have them off your head. None the less, I do think I would like the AD700s with some clamp, so I'll try wearing them tonight and will report back tomorrow, with pics if they work out well.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 23
I remember one guy saying he bent it too far, but then just bent it back to where he wanted it. I think the idea is to make the bend more like a V, instead of a bend with round bars on each side. That would pull the cups up and apart more so they are more parallel to each other, instead of touching at the base. My guess is it probably takes a bit of work and patience to get it customized.

Edit:
But then I don't really know for sure... how you have it now may be optimal. It's been a while since I've seen those pics, and all I remember for sure is the bend in the tops of the bars.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 23
I don't know if it's me or not, but I swear it has just a little more bass kick. Not much, but just a smidget more.

I just took a quick listen to my Q40s to test the cord, and man those things have too much bass. I've gone from liking those to loving the tight bass on the AD700s now.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get better bass with the AD700 better fitting to your ears. What are you plugging your headphones into?

Using my nuforce icon mobile as a DAC and amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember that thread. Those bars were really bent! do a search, you might find it.

I might take a picture of mine, they are pretty buffed up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back