AD2000 - My Impressions/Review
Mar 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for the review! They are really open
regular_smile .gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #17 of 28
If anyone is still interested, I do plan to buy an AD900 to compare it to the AD2k and AD1k. Might not be this month but that's ok seeing how much uni work I have to do.

x__x

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 28
Wow! If you were going for definitive, I think you may have succeeded with this review.
biggrin.gif
The AD2000 is absolutely on my list to try, and this write-up makes me want pick one up sooner rather than later. It sounds like it's a pretty good all-rounder with a unique flair, which is exactly what I'd like.

I would, however, humbly submit to you that the HD600 is the HD650 done right.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 28
Well that's possible. I've yet to try the HD600 although it is on my hit list. I did hear the HD580 and favoured the HD650. Who knows.

The AD2000 is my favourite headphone though, flaws and all.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 28
Very nice review. When I first read about the smearing my thought was to ask "Are you sure it's not something in the chain that can't keep up?" and it turned out as I continued reading you'd already discovered your DAC was much the culprit.

One problem I have is that I LIVE in AT-land, yet I hate the very forward mids of most ATs. The most of that I'll tolerate is my Magnums (Grados). There is thankfully a high-end headphone demo table with proper gear at a local electronics store where I can try out the entire line (if I cheat and pull the AD2000s and below out of the regular crappy wall rack). I've read the odd thing about mods and re-cabling that put the mids back a bit, so would really like to know about this "Phat mod" for them. Is it essentially stuffing the pads?

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've yet to try the HD600 although it is on my hit list. I did hear the HD580 and favoured the HD650. Who knows.

That doesn't surprise me, as the HD650 is a great headphone. The main reason I prefer the HD600 is because I perceive it to be more neutral. The closest competitor the HD600 has in my book is the K501, which is quite impressive in its own right.

TBH, I'm thinking that the AD2000 will probably be the last headphone that I seriously audition for some time. I'm really looking forward to snagging one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read the odd thing about mods and re-cabling that put the mids back a bit, so would really like to know about this "Phat mod" for them. Is it essentially stuffing the pads?

The Phat Mod was originally putting some rubber tubing in between the ear pads and the material covering the drivers. I opted to use cheap nylon tubing. Others have achieve the same result with foam.

I'm pretty happy these days without it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't surprise me, as the HD650 is a great headphone. The main reason I prefer the HD600 is because I perceive it to be more neutral. The closest competitor the HD600 has in my book is the K501, which is quite impressive in its own right.

TBH, I'm thinking that the AD2000 will probably be the last headphone that I seriously audition for some time. I'm really looking forward to snagging one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the HD650 was pretty different from the HD580 I used to own.

You really should audition the AD2k instead of doing a blind purchase like myself. I guess I got lucky. It hasn't been the case with my Denon D2000.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 28
I totally agree on listening to it before purchasing. The sound of them can sound quite different to other phones.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review. When I first read about the smearing my thought was to ask "Are you sure it's not something in the chain that can't keep up?" and it turned out as I continued reading you'd already discovered your DAC was much the culprit.

One problem I have is that I LIVE in AT-land, yet I hate the very forward mids of most ATs. The most of that I'll tolerate is my Magnums (Grados). There is thankfully a high-end headphone demo table with proper gear at a local electronics store where I can try out the entire line (if I cheat and pull the AD2000s and below out of the regular crappy wall rack). I've read the odd thing about mods and re-cabling that put the mids back a bit, so would really like to know about this "Phat mod" for them. Is it essentially stuffing the pads?

I would like to hear your AD2000 impressions compared to the Magnum sound (which I have as well- MS-2i Lite). My HD650 and Magnum Lite are very good but I still feel like I am missing something. I almost had that "something" with the HE-5 if it weren't for the brightness with my system. Still waiting on the LCD-2 as well.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 28
MomijiTMO, nice review of the AD2000s. They're a pair of phones that I've been interested in listening to for a long time and, from what I've read, sound perfect for my tastes.

Would you consider letting me have a listen to your pair some time? Our music tastes also seem to be pretty similar.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to hear your AD2000 impressions compared to the Magnum sound (which I have as well- MS-2i Lite). My HD650 and Magnum Lite are very good but I still feel like I am missing something. I almost had that "something" with the HE-5 if it weren't for the brightness with my system. Still waiting on the LCD-2 as well.

I was thinking to take my Magnums along to compare to the AD2000s actually. I hate explaining myself to shop staff though. They took away the Esoteric SACD player from the rig too and replaced it with some cheap Sony POS. Let me find a free weekday morning or afternoon and I'll try and do a mega AT comparison with whatever they have in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back