AD-900x -> K702?
Jun 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Pana Sonic

Head-Fier
FIRST POST W00T! Ahem, before I start, I've seen a few threads on comparisons between these two headphones, but there was no closure or consensus so I'm reposting. Also I may use K701/K702/Q701 interchangeably since most people seem to say there are no noticeable sonic differences between them. I hope I don't offend anyone.

Although the AKG K701 series seems to be a love it or hate it relationship, I've always had a secret urge to buy one. But after reading many posts on here, I was eventually convinced that the AKG K240 was a much better deal. I was blown away by the sound quality and shocked at the crap I had been listening with for all these years. If the K240's sounded this good, what would $100+ headphones sound like? I wanted more, so I read more reviews and again, I passed up on the K701 and settled on the Audio Technica AD-900x.

While it is still a good headphone (which required burn-in) and really brings out female vocals, for some reason I was just not as impressed as I was with the AKG K240. The AD-900x is a better headphone overall, but I feel like the K240 was a better value for the $70 I paid. My main issue with the AD-900x is that the imaging seems  blurry and the soundstage wasn't as big as I hoped. I remember the AD-700 seemed much bigger to the point where it was actually kinda bad (I was using my company's pair for monitoring an anime and I didn't know about soundstage yet).

Anyway I'm having that headphone buying urge again and I'm still really curious about the K701's I secretely wanted all along.

1. Whether you like the K701 series or not, do you guys feel that the K701 is an upgrade to the AD-900x? Or does it seem like it is in the same class?

2. How well does the K701 series do with female vocals specifically? I know they're bass-light and great with orchestral music, but do they perform similar to Audio Technica headphones in female vocals?

3. I'm leaning toward a used K702 (better headband and detachable cable without that damn Quincy logo). I'm still skeptical that there's any audible difference between it and the others, but is there anything I should be aware of? Quality issues? Mods?

For the music, I only listen to anime music and denpa (stuff like Ave;nue, MOSAIC.WAV, Under17, etc). Lately I've been playing MMO's too.

For the amp, I'm using an O2+ODAC that I built. I don't plan on getting another amp.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 22
Also I may use K701/K702/Q701 interchangeably since most people seem to say there are no noticeable sonic differences between them.

There are measurable differences in frequency response between these three headphones that will be audible:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf

One of those is definitely more likely to fit your personal tastes than another. But I think it might be correct to assume that they are similar enough that reading reviews might make it difficult to decide which one you would like better--you'd have to hear them.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 22
Thank you for the quick reply. Yeah the only way to really know if a pair is good or not is to test it out for one's self. So far, the only thing I've been able to tell is that the Q701 is a bit bassier. And from what I can gather from other posts, it doesn't seem to be due to the driver. I still get the feeling that the overall signature is basically the same and that if I enjoy one, then I'll enjoy the other ones too.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 22
Thank you for the quick reply. Yeah the only way to really know if a pair is good or not is to test it out for one's self. So far, the only thing I've been able to tell is that the Q701 is a bit bassier. And from what I can gather from other posts, it doesn't seem to be due to the driver. I still get the feeling that the overall signature is basically the same and that if I enjoy one, then I'll enjoy the other ones too.

I have the K7XX and definitely prefer it over the Q701, and I know from hearing both that the K701s would be too bass light for me. If you could get to listen to even one of the K/Q7 series, then you'd be able to make a good guess :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 22

What program do you use to play audio and video files?

You might consider the AKG K7XX, over the K701, as the K7XX is a cheaper price but getting about the same thing.
Guess the difference is the K7XX are made in China and the K701 might still be make in Austria.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 22
I have the K7XX and definitely prefer it over the Q701, and I know from hearing both that the K701s would be too bass light for me. If you could get to listen to even one of the K/Q7 series, then you'd be able to make a good guess
smily_headphones1.gif

AWW CRAP! I thought the X's in K7XX were wildcards that specified any K701 series headphone! I didn't realize it was a special model!

That really sounds like an interesting headphone, especially at $200 new. But as good as it seems to be, I don't think I'll even be able to find one when I get more money.

What program do you use to play audio and video files?

You might consider the AKG K7XX, over the K701, as the K7XX is a cheaper price but getting about the same thing.
Guess the difference is the K7XX are made in China and the K701 might still be make in Austria.

I usually use foobar2000 in Windows and XMMS in Linux. But for videos, I use Media Player Classic or mpv (Mplayer clone).

I used to whine about the AKG's being made in China, but I guess I can let it slide since they did away with the bumps. AFAIK the K701 got moved to China a few years ago though.

EDIT: I noticed there's over 1000 people requesting another run of K7XX's. Do you guys know how long that has been going on or if AKG will even do another run?

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 22
I can only comment on the Q701 but for me it was an instrument of torture. The headband bumps were painful for me, although I know others aren't bothered. I guess it's a personal thing. Similarly, there's a spike in the frequency response at 2k which drove me nuts after a while. I just couldn't relax. YMMV.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 22
  I usually use foobar2000 in Windows and XMMS in Linux. But for videos, I use Media Player Classic or mpv (Mplayer clone).
I used to whine about the AKG's being made in China, but I guess I can let it slide since they did away with the bumps. AFAIK the K701 got moved to China a few years ago though.
EDIT: I noticed there's over 1000 people requesting another run of K7XX's. Do you guys know how long that has been going on or if AKG will even do another run?

Foobar2000 and Media Player Classic (K-Lite), those are the two I use the most :)
So all AKG 700 series are now made in China?
Maybe it's the AKG K800 series, that is made in Austria?
I barely made it into the first 2000 batch ( Me # 1944), I think my credit card was charged on Dec 2, expected delivery just before Christmas
It ended up coming at least a month past Christmas, the first batch had a lot of K7XXs come with a wire touching something it should not have.
I guess my K7XX was used to replace a someone who had placed an order long before me.
So my come out of the 2nd batch, so I got my headphones just a few days before the people in the second batch did.
But it was a good thing I liked the K7XX a lot, cheered me up after a long wait.

Anyway, guess if over 2000 people sign up for the K7XX, I could see Massdrop getting another order.
But maybe try to find a used one, any K7XX available used would not be more then 6 months old and most should be in great shape.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 22
  I can only comment on the Q701 but for me it was an instrument of torture. The headband bumps were painful for me, although I know others aren't bothered. I guess it's a personal thing. Similarly, there's a spike in the frequency response at 2k which drove me nuts after a while. I just couldn't relax. YMMV.

LOL! Sorry, I just pictured an electric chair when you said that. But considering I'm going bald, I don't think I'd like the bumps either.

I tried playing with my equalizer to simulate that 2khz spike and it reminds me of my Creative Audigy 2 ZS. Would it happen to be a tinny metallic sound?

Foobar2000 and Media Player Classic (K-Lite), those are the two I use the most :)
So all AKG 700 series are now made in China?
Maybe it's the AKG K800 series, that is made in Austria?
I barely made it into the first 2000 batch ( Me # 1944), I think my credit card was charged on Dec 2, expected delivery just before Christmas
It ended up coming at least a month past Christmas, the first batch had a lot of K7XXs come with a wire touching something it should not have.
I guess my K7XX was used to replace a someone who had placed an order long before me.
So my come out of the 2nd batch, so I got my headphones just a few days before the people in the second batch did.
But it was a good thing I liked the K7XX a lot, cheered me up after a long wait.

Anyway, guess if over 2000 people sign up for the K7XX, I could see Massdrop getting another order.
But maybe try to find a used one, any K7XX available used would not be more then 6 months old and most should be in great shape.

W00t! I personally got MPC from the CCCP (anime-focused codec pack). I love Foobar2000 but...RIP Winamp :frowning2:

Well generally the AKG models start out in Austria and get moved to China when they begin to age. Atleast that's what I've noticed with the K240 and K/Q701 series.

Phew, sounds like I actually have a chance at getting a new K7XX. Seems like the used ones are just being marked up by scalpers on ebay. I'm still worried that they shrunk the soundstage on the K7XX. If not, I'll definitely consider requesting one.

EDIT: I noticed you have the ATH-A900X, the closed version of the AD900X. Did the K7XX feel like a solid upgrade from it?

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 22
You know the high pitched scream of a dentist's drill? That.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 22

EDIT: I noticed you have the ATH-A900X, the closed version of the AD900X. Did the K7XX feel like a solid upgrade from it?

I guess I do like the K7XX a little better then the ATH-A900X.
But I'll have to dig out my A900X and compare (have not used the A900X for several months).

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 22
You know the high pitched scream of a dentist's drill? That.

Uhh...maybe I better stay away from the Q701 then....

I guess I do like the K7XX a little better then the ATH-A900X.
But I'll have to dig out my A900X and compare (have not used the A900X for several months).

If the A900X hasn't been used in months, then that could be a good sign for the K7XX!

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 22

Every headphone has something that some people don't like. The Q701s were a bit bright for my tastes, but I would still recommend them because lots of people do like them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-impressions-thread

Unless you know you don't like a brighter sound signature, then the only way you will know if you like these or not is to try them.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 22
If the A900X hasn't been used in months, then that could be a good sign for the K7XX!

The ATH-W1000X is what superseded the ATH-A900X.
But when I have no need to block noise, I will use the K7XX.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 22
Every headphone has something that some people don't like. The Q701s were a bit bright for my tastes, but I would still recommend them because lots of people do like them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-impressions-thread

Unless you know you don't like a brighter sound signature, then the only way you will know if you like these or not is to try them.

That's a fair comment. There's nothing like trying them out yourself. I can only comment on my own experience and, as ever, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back