Active speakers vs passive+amp?
Mar 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

philipus

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I'm looking to add a pair of speakers to my Mac Pro and have been looking at active speakers mainly.

But then it struck me that perhaps I should look at an amp plus a small pair of normal passive speakers.

Would such a setup cost much more for equivalent-ish sound quality?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts
Philip

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 11
My two cents.
Studio monitors (self powered speakers) are usually better for your situation.
Passive speakers are more about filling up an area with audio.
Studio monitors are more about the audio detail, focusing audio into a small area, like a few people sitting together.
Studio monitors will normally come with two separate (built in) amplifiers, one for driving the tweeter and one for the woofer.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625880

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Rather than the Monoprice linked above I'd strongly suggest (if budget will allow) a pair of JBL 305P MKII.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/2x-jbl-305p-mkii-customer-return.html

($220/pair open box, though I've seen cheaper)

https://reverb.com/p/jbl-305p-mkii-5-two-way-powered-studio-monitor-single

($120 each new)

Edit: note that these take 1/4" mono in, so you will need adapters to use with anything but pro audio gear.

Edit 2: I have a pair of these fed by a Chromecast Audio and Topping D50 as my bedroom system and am very happy with them. My main speaker system is built around a pair of Martin Logan reQuests. It's without question the best sound I have access to; they destroy every headphone and IEM I own. They're also 6 feet tall and a foot and a half wide, each, with 500+ wpc behind them.

Those little JBLs hold their own. I've heard $600+ Bluetooth speakers. These put them to shame.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you both very much for your suggestions. I had not seen or heard of those speakers before. Then powered monitors is what I will be looking for.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music, from various sorts of classical, through rock and pop to death and black metal. I enjoy accurate reproduction of the recording. My IEMs are Etymotic ER4XR which I really like because of how they don't exaggerate any part of the spectrum. So ideally I'm looking for something a long those lines.

The speakers will be placed just over 1m from my position. Unfortunately I'm a bit short of space where they will be put so smaller is better. Those JBLs seem really very good but are sadly too big. Ideally I'd like to stay below 200 Euro.

I found this list which includes a number of speakers. Any thoughts on them? One thing I'm wondering about is that some are bi-amped - does it really make a big difference in sound quality?

https://consordini.com/best-budget-studio-monitors-under-200

Thanks again
Philip

My two cents.
Studio monitors (self powered speakers) are usually better for your situation.
Passive speakers are more about filling up an area with audio.
Studio monitors are more about the audio detail, focusing audio into a small area, like a few people sitting together.
Studio monitors will normally come with two separate (built in) amplifiers, one for driving the tweeter and one for the woofer.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625880

Rather than the Monoprice linked above is strongly suggest (if budget will allow) a pair of JBL 305P MKII.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/2x-jbl-305p-mkii-customer-return.html

($220/pair open box, though I've seen cheaper)

https://reverb.com/p/jbl-305p-mkii-5-two-way-powered-studio-monitor-single

($120 each new)

Edit: note that these take 1/4" mono in, so you will need adapters to use with anything but pro audio gear.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Don't know what's affordable in Europe; hopefully others will chime in.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 11
Thank you both very much for your suggestions. I had not seen or heard of those speakers before. Then powered monitors is what I will be looking for.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music, from various sorts of classical, through rock and pop to death and black metal. I enjoy accurate reproduction of the recording. My IEMs are Etymotic ER4XR which I really like because of how they don't exaggerate any part of the spectrum. So ideally I'm looking for something a long those lines.

The speakers will be placed just over 1m from my position. Unfortunately I'm a bit short of space where they will be put so smaller is better. Those JBLs seem really very good but are sadly too big. Ideally I'd like to stay below 200 Euro.

I found this list which includes a number of speakers. Any thoughts on them? One thing I'm wondering about is that some are bi-amped - does it really make a big difference in sound quality?

https://consordini.com/best-budget-studio-monitors-under-200

Thanks again
Philip
https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_ne...ce-first=60&price-last=200&oa=prd&filter=true

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Hello everyone

I'm looking to add a pair of speakers to my Mac Pro and have been looking at active speakers mainly.

But then it struck me that perhaps I should look at an amp plus a small pair of normal passive speakers.

Would such a setup cost much more for equivalent-ish sound quality?

I wouldn't think of it as equivalent value for money in universal terms since you're comparing one speaker that you have no choice on when it comes to getting only a Class A/B amp vs something that may have a high enough sensitivity for a warmer, lower output Class A amp to not have an obvious disadvantage. Not to mention they also crank up the output on the monitor amps short of obvious distortion for one reason: most of the time they might not even get a subwoofer with it or have no space for the sub in a proper spot (unlike a studio console, ie if you're at home you might not be able to mount all three on the same plane above your display) while you may get a tower with low freq drivers and a bigger cabinet with a bigger port if you're looking at passive speakers without giving up sensitivity (or just go all out and get a powerful amp that doesn't sacrifice THD+N).

I'd think of it more in terms of how you're using them. If you're using them on a desk get the active speakers as they're more likely to have been voiced for desktop use and also not have rear-firing port, unlike trying a passive speaker in a store only to have them sound completely and utterly different at your desk due to how they're voiced for listening from farther out, or have dispersion patterns that are a huge problem with being close to the wall, or heck, a rear-firing port right up against the wall. Not that passive speakers can't sound good in nearfield (I mean, there are passive pro monitors), but there's a lot less to gamble on.

The biggest advantage though is most active speakers have a separate gain control for the tweeters' amp channels so that you can set them lower if the default setting is too bright. Just make sure you do get one that does.

One potential problem : if you get pro monitors you'd need an interface to control the output on both monitors simultaneously, but then since you don't need to worry about the amplifier, you can go as cheap as a Scarlett Solo which has a decent DAC and active preamp, unless you want to go with the 2i4 for balanced TRRS outputs.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate your thoughts and also the fact that you've given me more questions, which is great.

First of all in terms of placement. Because of how my room is set up I will need to place them on the window sill, which means close to the window. The sill is at an elevated position, pretty much perfectly at ear level roughly 1m away when I'm at the desk. But the fact that they will need to be near the window will, I assume, affect which speakers I could get. I'm saying this because isn't it right that speakers with a rear port need to be placed at a certain distance from the wall?

If I'm right in this I guess this will affect my options.

And speaking about options, I'm wondering if I ought to go for a studio monitor or a speaker. With the pandemic going on I'm not able to test speakers personally and I've accepted that I'll be buying sight unseen.

As I mentioned I enjoy to listen to music without trickery. What it means is that I dislike overly bass-heavy headphones or speakers. But it also means that I prefer a bit of warmth in presentation to a clinically neutral or lifeless sound.

I'm not sure how much sense that description makes, because it is difficult to describe how one perceives music. But if it does make sense, would you advise me to go for monitors or normal speakers, and do you have any particular ones to recommend?

Thank you very much again
Philip

I wouldn't think of it as equivalent value for money in universal terms since you're comparing one speaker that you have no choice on when it comes to getting only a Class A/B amp vs something that may have a high enough sensitivity for a warmer, lower output Class A amp to not have an obvious disadvantage. Not to mention they also crank up the output on the monitor amps short of obvious distortion for one reason: most of the time they might not even get a subwoofer with it or have no space for the sub in a proper spot (unlike a studio console, ie if you're at home you might not be able to mount all three on the same plane above your display) while you may get a tower with low freq drivers and a bigger cabinet with a bigger port if you're looking at passive speakers without giving up sensitivity (or just go all out and get a powerful amp that doesn't sacrifice THD+N).

I'd think of it more in terms of how you're using them. If you're using them on a desk get the active speakers as they're more likely to have been voiced for desktop use and also not have rear-firing port, unlike trying a passive speaker in a store only to have them sound completely and utterly different at your desk due to how they're voiced for listening from farther out, or have dispersion patterns that are a huge problem with being close to the wall, or heck, a rear-firing port right up against the wall. Not that passive speakers can't sound good in nearfield (I mean, there are passive pro monitors), but there's a lot less to gamble on.

The biggest advantage though is most active speakers have a separate gain control for the tweeters' amp channels so that you can set them lower if the default setting is too bright. Just make sure you do get one that does.

One potential problem : if you get pro monitors you'd need an interface to control the output on both monitors simultaneously, but then since you don't need to worry about the amplifier, you can go as cheap as a Scarlett Solo which has a decent DAC and active preamp, unless you want to go with the 2i4 for balanced TRRS outputs.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Good news is, with a computer as a source you can run EQ pretty easily if the sound is too flat for you.

Yes, you'll need a front port, not rear. Rear port needs to be at least a foot or so from the wall.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 11
First of all in terms of placement. Because of how my room is set up I will need to place them on the window sill, which means close to the window. The sill is at an elevated position, pretty much perfectly at ear level roughly 1m away when I'm at the desk. But the fact that they will need to be near the window will, I assume, affect which speakers I could get. I'm saying this because isn't it right that speakers with a rear port need to be placed at a certain distance from the wall?

If I'm right in this I guess this will affect my options.

Regardless of port placement always avoid having the speakers right up against the walls, with a few caveats:

1. This tends to have the worst effect on rear-firing ports.

2. Studio monitors may be right up against the walls but they have sound diffusion materials all over those walls to mitigate any problems, not to mention the dispersion pattern on the drivers and near-wall placement tend to be taken into account.

Even if you have a rear-firing port right up against an open window though that's not a good idea as the output on the port should still be audible, just not echoing around too much against the walls due to hitting the wall too soon. To oversimplify things, hitting two walls with one 25mm away from the port is not the same as hitting the same walls from 2.5m away. Kind of like on solid objects propelled by variable and waning energy ie hit the cue ball to bounce and at every impact it'll have less energy.

And speaking about options, I'm wondering if I ought to go for a studio monitor or a speaker. With the pandemic going on I'm not able to test speakers personally and I've accepted that I'll be buying sight unseen.

As I mentioned I enjoy to listen to music without trickery. What it means is that I dislike overly bass-heavy headphones or speakers. But it also means that I prefer a bit of warmth in presentation to a clinically neutral or lifeless sound.

I'm not sure how much sense that description makes, because it is difficult to describe how one perceives music. But if it does make sense, would you advise me to go for monitors or normal speakers, and do you have any particular ones to recommend?

If you're getting studio monitors you can just get KRK Rok Its and then just turn down the gain on the tweeters' amp channels if it's still too bright.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Hello again, I hope I'm not overstaying the welcome by continuing with a few more questions now that I'm slowing narrowing down my choices.

I've realised that with a bit of reorganisation my desk I ought to be able to fit larger units there which would place them up to 30cm from the back and outer (to the right and left of the speakers) walls. So this opens up more options for me, both in terms of larger units and front/rear-facing ports. I'm also increasing the budget to around 400 Euro.

So that puts the speakers you've kindly mentioned above within range. I've specifically looked at the JBL 305P MKII and the KRK Rokit 5 G4 because I like their low frequency response. Could you suggest other options to me?

@silent-circuit Forgive the possibly dumb question but I noticed that you also have the Etymotic ER4XR. Would you characterise the JBLs as similar-ish to the Etys at all?

Looking at how to hook the monitors up to the computer, I found the Audient iD4 which more or less fits within the budget. Would that a good choice or would you recommend another interface?

Cheers and thank you again for bearing with me on this
Philip

Good news is, with a computer as a source you can run EQ pretty easily if the sound is too flat for you.

Yes, you'll need a front port, not rear. Rear port needs to be at least a foot or so from the wall.

Regardless of port placement always avoid having the speakers right up against the walls, with a few caveats:

1. This tends to have the worst effect on rear-firing ports.

2. Studio monitors may be right up against the walls but they have sound diffusion materials all over those walls to mitigate any problems, not to mention the dispersion pattern on the drivers and near-wall placement tend to be taken into account.

Even if you have a rear-firing port right up against an open window though that's not a good idea as the output on the port should still be audible, just not echoing around too much against the walls due to hitting the wall too soon. To oversimplify things, hitting two walls with one 25mm away from the port is not the same as hitting the same walls from 2.5m away. Kind of like on solid objects propelled by variable and waning energy ie hit the cue ball to bounce and at every impact it'll have less energy.

If you're getting studio monitors you can just get KRK Rok Its and then just turn down the gain on the tweeters' amp channels if it's still too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back