Active Speaker Help
Jun 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Slimshaddyy

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I've been hanging around the forums for some time now and have encountered a problem I can't quite find a solution for, I am purchasing a maverick d2 DAC and some swan M200MkIi speakers, I have an infinity sub, was replaced by a klipsch in my home theater but I would like to use it with the swans I am concerned how I can connect the two, I have Yamaha receiver from about 1995 and don't know if I need the receiver or can I use DAC and sub or what, I'm stumped.

TIA

EDIT: My dilemma is how do I get an active sub and Active speakers to play nice? This is where i got the sub from http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-1200CHR&cat=HTS&ser=TSS&Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Also, If anyone has any recommendation For a better DAC that would go good with the swans and a Schiit Valhalla.  Just a decent dac under  $300 would be great, i think i am goin with the maverick because it has a tube preamp built in, not needed but its a nice bonus.  But i have one concern and its that it only has one coaxial input for right audio, Concern or no? Thanks.

Picture: 

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Also, If anyone has any recommendation For a better DAC that would go good with the swans and a Schiit Valhalla.  Just a decent dac under  $300 would be great, i think i am goin with the maverick because it has a tube preamp built in, not needed but its a nice bonus.  But i have one concern and its that it only has one coaxial input for right audio, Concern or no? Thanks.

Picture: 

lol. See how theres one giant box around analog out, and one giant box around digital in? Is there a L/R classification inside the Digital In box?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 15
you can go DAC - Speakers with a Y cable to the sub if the sub has adjustable filters
You can go DAC to receiver to preout L/R/Subwoofer as well

You should probably post the exact models with links if you want some better help...(receiver and sub)

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Try and look up NuForce Icon (desktop) range of products, they have either a dedicated subwoofer port on the back, or the headphone output can function as such, depending on the model. You'll have to customize a cable that has a mono phono (3.5mm) plug on one end and an RCA plug on the other; personally thought that's still better than Y-connectors with most other DACs to split the signal between the Swan and the sub since most subs only use a mono input (so just one of the Swans having a Y-cable might actually induce some imbalance or something).

Since you're considering a Valhalla+D2, unless tubes are really that important and you're looking for max power for 300ohm headphones (Valhalla I think is optimized for that impedance), you could save some money by going with just the HDP, and maybe upgrade the power supply later (specs-wise and from my own listening the HDP distorts with the HD600 at my listening level, and I'm not even listening as loud as most people I know, but most people have a positive experience with it even with the stock PSU).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back