Active Powered speakers or Bookshelf Speakers with Amp?
Oct 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kyaw

New Head-Fier
I have a budget at £130 highest.

Currently, i own a Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers and AD700 headphones.
I listen to the likes of Pink Floyd, Muse, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson etc although sometimes i like to listen to some drum and bass like Pendulum, Noisia.

I want to upgrade from the current speakers. So i was looking into buying an amp with bookshelf speakers or self powered/amped speakers.

I am looking at Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 bookshelf speakers but i dont know which amp to get.
Also living in UK, Wharfedales are hard to come by and only RicherSounds is selling them instore only.

As for active speakers i was looking at:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-000-AE&groupid=702&catid=22&subcat=

Are they any good? And which amp to power the speakers and also within my budget?
What are your thoughts and input?
I am relatively new to the whole audiophile scene so i would appreciate any help i can get!
Thanks

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 8
The active speakers you linked don't look so good. From the picture you can see they are one way, so they will suffer greatly in the highs department. They are also too small, and they'll probably sound boxy. That said i can't really help you with your question, I'd say go with any amp, secondhand imho. As long as it has the power, and it's not one of those weird brands. Even then it probably wont make a huge difference except at high volumes.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm on +- the same budget and I'm seriously considering buying M-Audio Studiophile AV-40's. The only thing I'm in doubt about is the sound card I'll be combining them with.

edit: I've also read good things about Audioengine A5's, but they might be over your budget (pretty confident that they are)

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I found some good deal on a Cambridge Audio A5, will probably go down that route... just need to make sure if Richer Sounds near me stock Wharfedale 9.0s or not...

If all else fails then i might go for the Audioengine A2s.

Is the bookshelve speakers good for bass though? I dont want banging bass, just smooth and natural bass.

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 8
The audioengine A2 are very small you won't get any bass out of it, its technically impossible, for good bass you can't beat a sub-woofer. 

I say keep your speakers and save money for better ones with sub-woofer

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 8
As a long term investment that is an audio system I think the separate amp is a better idea.  It allows you to upgrade the system over time to better things and if a single part of the system fails you can easily replace it.

With the all in one systems is part of it breaks pretty much the whole set is a goner.

I went through two of the cheapo $100.00 pc speaker sets before I spent the $300 for my amp and some speakers.  Both of the $100 sets only last about a year, but the amp is still going strong 4 years later.  So in the long run it was actually the better value and of course its much more flexible (tuner, mutliple inputs, speaker selection of my choosing) all the while also better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back