Acoustic Research S700M IEM Impressions
May 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rhcw

Now known as NLNH
Just got a pair of s700m from acoustic research, this is so far the best earphone for western musics ( american pops and some orchestras etc. ) I have heard at that price but no one is talking about it here....

The build is rigid, the enclosure is metallic (tungsten carbide) while the outer layer of the cable has kevlar content which makes it really tough, yet quite soft

Some short impression: (40 hr burn in)

Bass is punchy detailed and well extended (it punches really hard )
Mids is clean and falls back a little bit, while the treble is well extended.
It surprises me as the bass is really punchy but still, the mids and treble are well seperated and clean.

Sensitivity is low so an amp or a hi-end dap is needed, I'm testing with discmans (d-150/250) and also with ipod classic plus different amps, also using cowon J3 which seems to be lack in output power.

They are very comfortable in my ears using their special ear tips. The iem comes with a nice portable case too.

Specs:

I have never writen anything for an iem in head-fi but this time acoustic research impresses me a lot.
size]

Anyone using this iem?

May 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 15
looks like a knock off of the astrotec ax 7 - similar body just different color but its a dynamic driver where as the ax 7 is a dual balanced armature type IEM.

May 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 15
Impedance is quite high so an amp or a hi-end dap is needed, I'm testing with discman (d-150/250) and also with ipod classic plus different amps.

the impedance is 16 ohms! how is it high? - amp is not needed for such low impedance and even a weak source can play it to deafening levels

I notice the sensitivity is 90 dB though - which is very much lower than the competition! - this might be the reason for lower volume and your saying that 'amp is necessary'

May 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 15
This one is heavier than the ax 700( do you mean ax -7 ?), and sound wise I think the s700m is better. also the build quality is better...
I have been listening to the ax 7 for 15 mins and I don't like the sound signature, the mids presentation is too thin and lack in bass to me...

May 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
This one is heavier than the ax 700( do you mean ax -7 ?), and sound wise I think the s700m is better. also the build quality is better...
I have been listening to the ax 7 for 15 mins and I don't like the sound signature, the mids presentation is too thin and lack in bass to me...

yeah I mean the Astrotec AX-7. Now edited^^

thx

May 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 15
from your impressions - sounds like the AX 7 might also be employing TWFK Dual balanced armature which accounts for the thin mids and the insufficient bass- sorry to go off topic but can some one confirm this.

May 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 15
yes they are twfks... anyway the AR IEM is a DD so I won't compare it with the AX-7...

off topic again, got a chance to talk to the engineers from AR today and they confirmed that there will be a lower end and a hi end iem coming soon...

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 15
how it compare to other $120us iem(e.g like 215, westone 1, s4i...), i have listen it in a shop , and find out it have really punchy and extended bass, but clear mid and treble, better than s4i, should i buy this for my friend? she loves electronic music like deadmau5 and other western pop music ,thanks

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 15
See if you like the bass impact 
wink.gif

This one is extra bassy and quite treble lacking, will be good when using some (relatively) neutral machines like ipods,
but when it come to some mobile phones and warm sounding machines this may be too much......

For party musics and western pops this could be a good choice 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 15
My friend use sony xperia s , i don't know it is warm or neutral .But i know all sony player normally boost up in treble and bass , i don't know she likes bass or not but i think she like bass since she listen to dj music, thanks for your information

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
My friend use sony xperia s , i don't know it is warm or neutral .But i know all sony player normally boost up in treble and bass , i don't know she likes bass or not but i think she like bass since she listen to dj music, thanks for your information

Well I tried it with xperia P.....I think the bass is too much...but it depends.....(when you are on trains it may be fine...)

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 15
I got this from an auction for AUD $40

I pretty like this IEM.
#1 I like the sound stage the most
#2 It is very good for listening to "oldies but goodies" or live concert recordings. But also pretty good overall for other genres as well.

The silicon tip is a bit different.
It does not loog like a good quality (the cuts and joints have seams that does not look like a quality one) but it does the job very well.
The isolation of external sound is pretty good. Also, it does not leak sound.

The downfall of this product is the audiophonics.
It is designed to plugin the standard way where you plug into your ear and the cable runs straight down.
Critical Note: You will not be able to enjoy this IEM that way as the cable screeching sound will be too much that the whole brain rattles.
You can just turn it upside down after plugging into your ear and run the cable over and around your ear as the usual IEMs.
This significantly reduce the audiophonics but if you are turning your head too much then it may still be noticible.

For the price I paid, comparing with Xiaomi Hybrid, this is not bad.

And yes, I paired it with an amp and I did not need any bass boost or equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back