Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,772 of 2,161
Ewetcr, I’m just curious if your M2 looks like mine when streaming from Qobuz. My iphone shows it can stream in high resolution both mobile network and wi-fi. The M2 shows cd quality only. The Qobuz song titles played on the M2 shows high resolution but actual output is in 16 bit (sounds less detailed than on the iphone).

The same high Rez song titles played on
No worries buddy, yes the M2 is one of the best sounding DAPs. If only there was an M3 :D

through my Bluesound Node sounds/are in high resolution though.
No worries buddy, yes the M2 is one of the best sounding DAPs. If only there was an M3 :D
Thank Electrocrytic &
Thank you for the info Blotmouse & Electrocrytic. Very informative. I’ll look through previous posts from Nayparm regarding topic for reference.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,773 of 2,161
Ewetcr, I’m just curious if your M2 looks like mine when streaming from Qobuz. My iphone shows it can stream in high resolution both mobile network and wi-fi. The M2 shows cd quality only. The Qobuz song titles played on the M2 shows high resolution but actual output is in 16 bit (sounds less detailed than on the iphone).
hires_player.jpg

I bought it from a fellow headfier last december, I can't tell if he had installed a custom rom (he had Neutron installed however). Now the problem I have is I can't open certain albums at the Qobuz section, plus no images. I sometimes use UAPP at my android phone with a dongle-dac, it's rather nice and iirc the creator is a nice dude. I might send him an email to see if it's possible to solve it. Tidal directly doesn't let me even open my fav albums menu. I Didn't mention, I use the AR-HIRES player only, never even tried to get Tidal or Qobuz apks installed.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,774 of 2,161
hires_player.jpg

I bought it from a fellow headfier last december, I can't tell if he had installed a custom rom (he had Neutron installed however). Now the problem I have is I can't open certain albums at the Qobuz section, plus no images. I sometimes use UAPP at my android phone with a dongle-dac, it's rather nice and iirc the creator is a nice dude. I might send him an email to see if it's possible to solve it. Tidal directly doesn't let me even open my fav albums menu. I Didn't mention, I use the AR-HIRES player only, never even tried to get Tidal or Qobuz apks installed.
That’s very interesting that you cannot open certain albums. I know mine doesn’t show all the album art/images. Nevertheless, the M2 is my pride and joy for listening to my downloads on the AR Music Player. Just a bummer that I cannot take advantage of Qobuz high resolution titles at the moment.

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,775 of 2,161
Count yourself lucky. I can't even log into Qobuz via AR Player, and why I was planning on installing UAPP. Just fails outright.
Must have had some tweaks done to your player prior to your ownership, like you said?

I know Tidal had their API access tokens revoked and updated somewhat recently (A&K threads were alive with all that) and that caused older SW to be unable to access. And since we will not be seeing any updates EVER. It's likely why Tidal isn't fully working for you.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #1,776 of 2,161
I have a very random question here to anyone who buyed this player as "new" condition. Does this player orignally come with a protective foil on the front or back that you could pull off?

I watched some unboxing videos and I wondered that no one has that.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,778 of 2,161
I have a very random question here to anyone who buyed this player as "new" condition. Does this player orignally come with a protective foil on the front or back that you could pull off?

I watched some unboxing videos and I wondered that no one has that.

I remember it having plastic over the metal strip on the back, I can't remember for the screen though.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,781 of 2,161
Couple questions about the M2. Mine has a leather flip case affixed to it. From pictures I've seen, most didn't come with that case? Or did it come with it and some decided to remove it? I don't really see how to remove it for fear of damaging it.

Any solution for getting Tidal on my unit? I did a search through this thread but didn't find a answer. I'm running Android 4.3.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,782 of 2,161
Hi,
As far as I remember, mine didn't have such a leather case. I only got a black bag with the brand tattoed on it.

Regarding TIdal, sorry I can't help, I don't use streaming services with my AR2. But sound is great, especially connected to an Oppo headset.

Eric

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,783 of 2,161
Couple questions about the M2. Mine has a leather flip case affixed to it. From pictures I've seen, most didn't come with that case? Or did it come with it and some decided to remove it? I don't really see how to remove it for fear of damaging it.

Any solution for getting Tidal on my unit? I did a search through this thread but didn't find a answer. I'm running Android 4.3.

Thanks!
I have two M2, one has the flip case and the other one has a regular leather case. I removed the flip case from the one that came with that case without any damage to the player. The only thing is that if you want to use it again you will need to glue it back.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #1,784 of 2,161
I think there was a workaround to make Tidal/Qobuz work with the M2, it's in this thread. I didn't get mine to do it, and use it mostly for my library. Once Tidal removed the support I canceled my subscription :>
Qobuz kindof works, but it's far from optimal and you can't play most of the albums, clicking on them does nothing usually. If you make the album a playlist it does play it, but at a reduced quality iirc

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #1,785 of 2,161
Dear all,
Searched the forum but to no avail. But I know I'm not good at searching...
My AR M2 works fine but I'm just wondering if we could easily find a replacement battery in case of need. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back