Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,381 of 2,161
Very good SQ from LO
P81215-173658-001.jpg

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #1,382 of 2,161
So, just curious for anyone who might have experience - would you still buy this player at $399, especially compared to others (Hiby R6, iBasso DX120, fiio Q5 & phone)?

Right now, i am running a Cowon Plenue 1 stacked with either a Cayin C5 or FIIO E12, feeding a combination of LCD-2 (2018 fazor) and HD650s. I feel like i am happy with the sound, but would love to know if i am missing out anything, and would also like to not have to have a stack (especially for the LCD-2). The class A amp in this guy certainly impresses me, and i love the looks of the device overall, but i am offput by recent comments about it being abandoned and left for dead (so to speak). While i can make it happen, $400 is alot of money for me, and (should i do it at all), i would like to get the most bang for my buck.

And i know people will suggest a desktop setup instead for my cans - unfortunately, I don't have any kind of desk or desktop setup that can accommodate something like that, so a GOOD portable is the most logical solution right now.

399? Where? When? i buy me another one! :smile: That price is very cheap, i would buy it. If you listen to music at a very high volume as i do, maybe it's not enough for the hd650/lcd2. Oh, and if m2 can't , none of the other daps around can.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,383 of 2,161
399? Where? When? i buy me another one! :smile: That price is very cheap, i would buy it. If you listen to music at a very high volume as i do, maybe it's not enough for the hd650/lcd2. Oh, and if m2 can't , none of the other daps around can.
I guess i am just a bit gunshy on buying a player that has been abandoned by the maker, even if it is quality (especially when it is based on an old android build). But beyond that.. is it not good enough for the LCD-2? I don't think i listen at crazy volume, but i do enjoy strong volume.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,384 of 2,161
I guess i am just a bit gunshy on buying a player that has been abandoned by the maker, even if it is quality (especially when it is based on an old android build). But beyond that.. is it not good enough for the LCD-2? I don't think i listen at crazy volume, but i do enjoy strong volume.

I would honestly say don't get it. The sound quality is terrific, especially for high impedance phones, but there are still many software issues that have been left unfixed.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,385 of 2,161
I plug my iem and enjoy the music....yeah, sometimes needs a rescanning, or you may hear some electric pop when unitilized for some minute (amp stop running) but that’s all...

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,386 of 2,161
I plug my iem and enjoy the music....yeah, sometimes needs a rescanning, or you may hear some electric pop when unitilized for some minute (amp stop running) but that’s all...

I've personally had a lot more problems than that, that I've never been able to resolve. Sometimes the player will just refuse to play any tracks for no obvious reason. When it works it's great, although I do wish it had a more up to date android version and better app support. It's definitely far from a terrible buy, if someone was to buy it presently for example.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,387 of 2,161
I guess for me, its a question on how much improvement might i see over the current setup i have (Plenue 1 w/ Cayin C5 *Edit: I also have an iBasso DX90, but i can't imagine that is better than either of them...*). I think i would be less hesitant if the player wasn't abandoned (and on such an outdated build). Still, the thought of a built-in powerful class A amp sounds appealing...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,392 of 2,161
No balanced out = FAIL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back