Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Mar 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #917 of 2,161
  Hi folks at AR. I have a few questions for you and hopefully you can help with them.
- I've read that my AR-M2 does not actually sound at its best with  low impedance IEM (I use UE900s at 30 Ohms) even though I think they produce a fantastic sound. Do you think a 100 Ohms impedance adapter would improve the sound?
- Also the battery only lasts around 6 hours on Flac CD quality. What kind/model/brand of battery could I buy in order to replace the original one when it wears out?
- About a case, is there any case available with some bumper protection?
Huge thanks for any info and help.

Some answers from HQ for you

FYI - Playtime of PCM file can reach 8 hours after the unit is fully charged.  The official way to measure playtime was to loop the preloaded 24/96 FLAC files with screen off wifi off after a complete 100% charge.  DSD playtime will be about 6 hours.  Sennheiser HD650 was used for our reference test.  The volume level does not affect playtime due to class A design.

As a reminder, LCD screen activity can shorten the playtime significantly.

Ref impedance, try the  iFi IEMatch - http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

As far as battery replacement is concerned, it has to be serviced by authorized agent/distributor only.  For safety and compliance considerations, customers should not consider any third party service/option.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #920 of 2,161
Hi guys,
the combo Lcd4/ Mr2 with Silver Dragon is extraordinary!

I had some doubts about the output high impedance but I must say that finding the right headphone, the satisfaction is great.
without arriving at LCD4, I found great synergy between mr2 and hd565 Sennheiser, wonderful sound!

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #921 of 2,161
I've compared my new AR-M2 to my older modified AK120, the Mezzo MS-AK120, using stellar recordings of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concerti with Alpha Dog and HE400i as headphones, and found that the MS-AK120 drive these two headphones better than the AR-M2.
In general, I felt that the two DAPs have similar flavor - musical and somewhat warm in nature - but there are clear differences:
- The AR-M2 has faster and better response and dynamics with bigger soundstage and sub-bass.  
- The MS-AK120, on the other hand, has smaller soundstage and less resolving presentation, but it has far better separation and neutrality of presentation. 

I would describe the MS-AK120 as the more analytical, while the AR-M2 is more musical.  I felt that AR-M2 is less fatiguing for a concentrated long period, but there are either moments or musical pieces where the analytical powers of the MS-AK120 seems to be appropriate and required.
The next step - for another post - would be the addition of the Questyle QP1R to the mix...

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #922 of 2,161
  I would describe the MS-AK120 as the more analytical, while the AR-M2 is more musical.  I felt that AR-M2 is less fatiguing for a concentrated long period, but there are either moments or musical pieces where the analytical powers of the MS-AK120 seems to be appropriate and required.
The next step - for another post - would be the addition of the Questyle QP1R to the mix...

Hello, MBK1Musica -

What does the "Mezzo" modification do? What about the AK120's stock configuration--do you think you'd still prefer the 120's sound as originally offered?

Thanks,
Brian

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #923 of 2,161
The modification done by Phanom slisatkorn from Mezzo Hifi (mezzohifi.com) boast both the digital-to-analog convertor and the amplification of the stock AK120,and as such both better drive headphones and have better SQ. You can read more about the technical aspects of the Mod at the site I've included above or the relevant threads here.
For my ears, the MS-AK120 has a clear SQ and amp'ing advantage over the stock AK120, which I liked a lot for its warm presentation and prefer it over the II gen AK100 & AK120.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #924 of 2,161
Acoustic Research AR-M2 vs. Questyle QP1R:

I used HE400i and Alpha Dog for headphones, and used jazz music (mostly the immortal Clifford Brown) and chamber music (Beethoven's String Quartets played by Artemis Quartet.

This was a very interesting comparison game without a clear knockout, and mostly with opportunities for the future, as the basic flavor of these two DAP's is not only very different, but mostly complementary: the AR-M2 is warm, musical and very resolving; while the QP1R is colder, more analytical better separation and neutral sounding presentation.

There are much more to describe on the difference of these two, but it might be better to describe the user case: 
I found the QP1R to be perfect for chamber music and unplugged rock - its neutral separation SQ is perfect for these absolutely sparkled with jazz music, and might be the best DAPs for people who listen mostly to jazz.

In Symphonic and Vocal music things became more interesting because I didn't find a clear advantage or preference, and enjoyed the different flavors and imaging I listened by using the two players.  This might be my new thing - hearing the same piece once in the warmer tube-like sound of the AR-M2 and then with the accurate neutral flavor QP1R.

Both DAPs are large and relatively heavy - still very portable - but require some careful handling.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #926 of 2,161
I, personally, like the size & weight of the AR-M2 for my grip, but it's not a device you can hold for long... 
The build quality seems strong, so I guess - but haven't tried... - that it would survive the occasional drop.  But the screen - like all of them - might sustain some serious damage, which is way a case is definitely a must for all these gadgets.
Pls see my pic to give you an idea of the AR-M2 size compare to his other friends.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #927 of 2,161
  I, personally, like the size & weight of the AR-M2 for my grip, but it's not a device you can hold for long... 
The build quality seems strong, so I guess - but haven't tried... - that it would survive the occasional drop.  But the screen - like all of them - might sustain some serious damage, which is way a case is definitely a must for all these gadgets.

Thanks for your reply, @MBK1Musica -

Perhaps I should have been clearer, but I was wondering whether the AR-M2 is slippery. Is it slippery? Indeed, expensive smartphones often have glass on both sides, or they use metal where plastic would do. The effect is the proverbial "wet bar of soap," one that's also less impact resistant when it hits a hard surface. I'll surely buy a case for the M2, but I might not be able to get one immediately.

Thanks,
Brian

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #929 of 2,161

I wouldn't describe the AR-M2 on its own as slippery, and with the case the grip is even better.
I would def consider this, if this is the only issue you have with the device.

Thanks again, @MBK1Musica.

My other concern is the battery. Many recent electronic devices have batteries that are totally non-replaceable--not even by technicians. (The QP1R apparently requires special tools.) Fortunately, Acoustic Research says the M2's battery is replaceable, although they recommend sending the device to a service center. Still, I've heard it's possible for the average user to change it. Have you tried accessing the M2's battery yourself? Would you mind investigating the potential complexities involved?

Many, many thanks!

~Brian

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #930 of 2,161
Unfortunately, I am not the man for this job :frowning2:
I found that the battery last for about 8 to 9 hours - which is comparable to my other DAPs and even a bit better - but it's not one which is easy to replace, and I don't think I'll try that trick anytime soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back