Ack! Industries dAck! 1.2e Review
Jul 26, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I can't help but notice that the Ack dACks have see-through holes on the top. Is this covered by translucent material to protect the internals? What kind of material?

Hi Teerawit,

There is no covering underneath the vent holes. But Chris does recommend you to cover it if you don't use dAck! for awhile, not while it's operational.

Hope that helps,

Overlunge

Jul 26, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 21
question, overlunge: are you doing the charge, 8 hours discharge thing? the only think that concerns me with the Ack Dack, in any version, is that sometimes on the weekends i have the phones on my head for more than 8 hours, and i would hate to not be able to use my dac while it charges.

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
question, overlunge: are you doing the charge, 8 hours discharge thing? the only think that concerns me with the Ack Dack, in any version, is that sometimes on the weekends i have the phones on my head for more than 8 hours, and i would hate to not be able to use my dac while it charges.

Hi EdipisReks,

I had the same conern as you have, but my listening routine is never longer than 4 hours in one stretch, so the battery became less an issue for me.

However, the dAck! comes with two types of charger, (the following info can be found on the Ack Industries' Website)

Standard: 8-10 hours (max) with overnight charge to restore to full capacity
Rapid: 3-5 hours (max) with 30 mins recharge period.

The 1.2e I have came with the Rapid (0.8A) charger. So I simply just switch it off for half an hour when I have meals and come back to it with another 4 hours of music bliss.

I did accidentally left it on over 8 hours once, and the dAck! was still operational however the manual don't recommend you to deep discharge the lead-acid battery.

Hope that helps,

Overlunge

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi EdipisReks,

I had the same conern as you have, but my listening routine is never longer than 4 hours in one stretch, so the battery became less an issue for me.

However, the dAck! comes with two types of charger, (the following info can be found on the Ack Industries' Website)

Standard: 8-10 hours (max) with overnight charge to restore to full capacity
Rapid: 3-5 hours (max) with 30 mins recharge period.

The 1.2e I have came with the Rapid (0.8A) charger. So I simply just switch it off for half an hour when I have meals and come back to it with another 4 hours of music bliss.

I did accidentally left it on over 8 hours once, and the dAck! was still operational however the manual don't recommend you to deep discharge the lead-acid battery.

Hope that helps,

Overlunge

hmmm, ok. that gives me food for thought
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks!

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 21
I recently purchased a used Ack! Dac 1.2e and am using an Onix xcd-88 cd player as a transport. I'm not going to attempt a full review yet as I've only listened for a few hours. WOW!!!! (in a quiet unassuming sort of way) is my initial reaction. The unit is very detailed. There is an absence of noise with the Ack! that I didn't even know was there with the Onix w/ upgraded op amps. Listening to the first Norah Jones cd on the Ack! was a complete revelation for me. I heard things that I never knew were there. Not only is the unit quiet and detailed. It's extremely easy to listen to and oh so musical. All those details fit together into a musical whole that really is integrated. The bass is solid, too. All this with a less than ideal digital interconnect. When I initially fired up the unit, I couldn't get any music out of it. I freaked a little but a little checking revealed a short in the digital interconnect. So I'm using one side of an analog interconnect for a digital interconnect. I can't wait to get a high quality digital interconnect. I'll keep you posted.BBB

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBenBilly
I recently purchased a used Ack! Dac 1.2e and am using an Onix xcd-88 cd player as a transport. I'm not going to attempt a full review yet as I've only listened for a few hours. WOW!!!! (in a quiet unassuming sort of way) is my initial reaction. The unit is very detailed. There is an absence of noise with the Ack! that I didn't even know was there with the Onix w/ upgraded op amps. Listening to the first Norah Jones cd on the Ack! was a complete revelation for me. I heard things that I never knew were there. Not only is the unit quiet and detailed. It's extremely easy to listen to and oh so musical. All those details fit together into a musical whole that really is integrated. The bass is solid, too. All this with a less than ideal digital interconnect. When I initially fired up the unit, I couldn't get any music out of it. I freaked a little but a little checking revealed a short in the digital interconnect. So I'm using one side of an analog interconnect for a digital interconnect. I can't wait to get a high quality digital interconnect. I'll keep you posted.BBB

Awesome! I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 1.2e from New Zealand that I just purchased from Overlunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back