AC primer?
May 31, 2003 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stereth

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about making my next amp on AC power. Can someone give me a link on the basics? How to use transformers, regulators, heat sinks, twisted wiring, high-power switches, all that. Safety and wire sizes and stuff.

I've read here that it's easy to make a regulated PS but you might not save money over buying one. How much money does a basic, good (ie, good for audio) PS cost?

Jun 1, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmmm... i am making a regulated PS too. Here is an easy one, but i'm not making it. It's from the SDS PS.
A sketch from Sijosae.
SDS-PS.jpg

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by was ist los?
Hmmm... i am making a regulated PS too. Here is an easy one, but i'm not making it. It's from the SDS PS.
A sketch from Sijosae.

Which one are you making??

Jun 1, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth I've read here that it's easy to make a regulated PS but you might not save money over buying one. How much money does a basic, good (ie, good for audio) PS cost?

you won't save money over a wallwart, but a good, simple supply like the sds isn't expensive. it's just a few common components, and the tranny, like TE62063-ND (digikey), is $16.25 US.

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm planning one too that will power a META42. I looked at some different supplies on the net and I think I will go with the Universal Power supply from www.http://www.zero-distortion.com/ .

Is just doing half the supply and use the virtual ground generator a bad idea? it will save me some money. I've been worrying about virtual ground being different from the zero of the wall jack.

I'm I wrong when I think that since there's no connection inside the tranny the virtual ground will drop to the same level as the ground of my input, ie same as the ground in my source? No current should flow between them as there isn't a galvanic connection but I'm not sure since my experience with trannies are somewhat limited.

Will a 24V 1x154mA or if I decide on a proper dual voltage, 12V 2x154 do?

Jun 1, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by was ist los?
A sketch from Sijosae.
SDS-PS.jpg

That's a very phallic looking design
wink.gif
Like some type of cave painting..... I love the stuff Sijosae is coming up with it looks so organic with flowing curves.

Anybody know how I can get in touch with Sijosae?

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back