AC/DC or Van Halen (Cast your vote)
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 35
AC/DC no question. Van Halen's self titled record is outstanding but that's about it for me. Where as I love 90% of AC/DC's output.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #18 of 35
AC/DC without a moment's hesitation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both bands were once on the cusp of being called Heavy Metal.

True. But VH devolved into a preening, pinup pop group (Nice hair, Dave. Too bad it's not yours). AC/DC has always been, and probably always will be, a definitive rock n roll band.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AC/DC are you nuts?

My feelings exactly. David Lee Roth is, without a doubt, the most annoying lead singer ever to front a major band. The squeals (what was that about?) and karate kicks were fingernails on a blackboard for me.

I read a quote from Pete Townsend, which may be apocryphal, about EVH:

"He's so good he almost makes you forgive him for letting David Lee Roth stand in front of him."

P.S.: All obnoxious opinions expressed herein are exactly that: opinions.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 35
I went with VH. Although I love both bands. I had to go with VH. I liked DLR and SH
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 35
AC/DC

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 35
apples and oranges... 2 completely different bands. AC/DC is more straightforward gritty hard rock that's pleasing but pretty one-dimensional. Am I the only one to notice that 90% of their songs have the same drum beat, pentatonic-based guitar riffs, and 4/4 time signature? Van Halen offer much wider variety and hold my interest longer; they are in a class of their own, even if steeped in douchebaggery.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #24 of 35
While I grew up on the Bon Scott era AC/DC, my view is that Back in Black was the album that launched AC/DC into the super band realm. And, it remains one of my all time favourite albums.

Overall, I would not pick one against the other. They both have a clear and distinct place in my collection.

I've never really thought of AC/DC as heavy metal.They have always been hard rock to me, but of course, opinions on the distinction between the two genres do vary.

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never really thought of AC/DC as heavy metal.They have always been hard rock to me, but of course, opinions on the distinction between the two genres do vary.

I concur on both points. I consider AC/DC to be a straight-ahead hard rock band. But the distinction between hard rock and metal is very slippery. I have noticed, though, a sort of ideological attitude among metal fans who consider metal to be completely separate from rock. They seem to resent the comparison, in fact. To me, metal is and always has been an extreme form of rock (ducks incoming invective and beer bottles).

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #27 of 35
When Bon Scott died, AC/DC became just another good band with a lousy singer.

Even with Gary Cherone, VH always had a good singer.

Both bands have made some unforgettable music but VH has better musicians, better music, better lyrics, and the guitar player doesn't wear shorts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur on both points. I consider AC/DC to be a straight-ahead hard rock band. But the distinction between hard rock and metal is very slippery. I have noticed, though, a sort of ideological attitude among metal fans who consider metal to be completely separate from rock. They seem to resent the comparison, in fact. To me, metal is and always has been an extreme form of rock (ducks incoming invective and beer bottles).

We share the same opinion on the matter, and I'm most certainly a bit of a metalhead. Considering the genre's roots having been steeped in the heavy-blues tradition, it seems odd that over the years there has been an increasingly vehement mindset that the two (Rock and Metal) should not be able to play together.

That said, the more popular "True Metal" or Extreme music has taken a significant turn toward classical influences and complex, progressive rhythms and melodies, so I can certainly understand where the disconnect came from. To make it clear, I am not a fan of most Metal of this type, barring some of the classics when Death and Black Metal really started to progress, like At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul.

To me, all good Rock and Roll has a solid grounding in Rhythm & Blues. This goes for Rock AND Metal, IMO. It probably explains why my general tastes are often out of place in both the Rock and Metal circles.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back