AC/DC Fans: It's Official
Feb 6, 2003 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I have been hearing that AC/DC had signed a deal with Sony for quite some time. I also heard that there would be a new crop of re-releases. Well it's official, there is a new bunch of re-release coming this year from Epic, part of Sony. Here is the e-mail I got tonight on the subject.
Quote:

AC/DC FANS!

Epic Records is pleased to announce the upcoming re-release of the AC/DC catalog.

The reissues, re-mastered from the original (and recently discovered) 2-track mixes, will be enclosed in Digipaks and will feature multi-page booklets containing each album's original artwork along with bonus rare photos and comprehensive liner notes. In addition, each disc will be a ConnecteD release, allowing listeners to access even more exclusive content via the Internet, including videos, music, and information relating to each individual record.

The complete release schedule is as follows:

February 18th
Back In Black
Live (single disc)
Highway To Hell
High Voltage
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Live (2CD collector's edition)

April 8th
Who Made Who
Let There Be Rock
The Razor's Edge
For Those About To Rock
Powerage

May 20th
If You Want Blood You Got It
Flick Of The Switch
Fly On The Wall
'74 Jailbreak
Blow Up Your Video

Stay tuned to this space for details on how you can order the first of the reissues, and receive a free AC/DC subway size poster.

In the meantime, go to:
http://www.acdcrocks.com
to find out more.

Feb 6, 2003 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 26
What are these record companies up to now..........
confused.gif

Why not include any bonus tracks or video on the CD like everyone else, instead of on some website I have special access to now. That will will make any bonus tracks effectively useless to me, people want/expect them to be on same CD.......who is the "genius" who thought this up.

I hope they have common sense (not exhibited above) and not charge full price for 20+ year old music

Feb 7, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

I'm surprised Sony of all people aren't making them SACD's or at least hybrids like what was done with the Stones Albums

Let's be realistic, how many AC/DC fans do you think actually own a SACD player?
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I really like AC/DC and it would be cool to have a hybrid Back in Black at the very least. It would make a lot of sense if Sony actually plans on keeping SACD alive. But I do see how SACD wouldn't be a selling point for AC/DC for a lot of people.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 26
Maybe, but I wondered what audience Elektra hoped to reach when they put out Metallica on DVD-A. For me, it's just the principle, they should be actively supporting the format and they should put out popular music on the format if possible, especially with such a large rerelease like this.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I hope they have common sense (not exhibited above) and not charge full price for 20+ year old music

Quick check at Amazon etc shows these will be sold at full price,
and they wonder why CD sales are declining
mad.gif

B2B - I agree it is surprising that these are not going to be hybrid
SACD/CD, at least that would justify the price level.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Let's be realistic, how many AC/DC fans do you think actually own a SACD player?
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I really like AC/DC and it would be cool to have a hybrid Back in Black at the very least. It would make a lot of sense if Sony actually plans on keeping SACD alive. But I do see how SACD wouldn't be a selling point for AC/DC for a lot of people.

I am a fan. I have an SACD player. I wish they would have broght these out dual layer like the Stones cd's.

Feb 11, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 26
Got another e-mail from AC/DC (Sony).
They offer a free poster is you buy 5 cds from them.
Quote:

Fans who purchase 5 CD's will receive a free AC/DC subway size (approx) 4'x 6' poster.
Free shipping will be offered with purchase of 2 or more CD's.

Each of the 16 CD's in the Epic-reissued AC/DC catalog will enable fans to access exclusive bonus content specific to each individual release at http://www.acdcrocks.com, including rare audio and video footage, extended liner notes, photos, historically accurate memorabilia & tour dates, and more. Sony Music Entertainment's proprietary ConnecteD technology transforms the CD into a key that when placed in the computer's CD-Rom drive enables fans to unlock these AC/DC exclusives.

I ordered the whole shebang from Sony since they say they will try to have the cds at my house by Feb 18th. And the free shipping, and giant poster were considered. I had these on preorder at Amazon but Amazon wasn't even going to ship until the 20th, and they were charging the same price as Sony then add shipping in to the mix. I ordered them here

Feb 11, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Quick check at Amazon etc shows these will be sold at full price,
and they wonder why CD sales are declining
mad.gif

B2B - I agree it is surprising that these are not going to be hybrid
SACD/CD, at least that would justify the price level.

The full price may be lowered later on. But then again full price for some of these like High Voltage and Dirty Deeds is only $11.98.

They really should have made this SACD hybrids.

Feb 11, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
The full price may be lowered later on. But then again full price for some of these like High Voltage and Dirty Deeds is only $11.98.
They really should have made this SACD hybrids.

Just checked Amazon again closer, looks like the new 2/03 remastered digipak CDs which are older being sold at reduced price........Back in Black is full price so looks like many are reduced price but some are full price still, this is a good thing.

The idea of putting bonus tracks on website instead of on CD is still really lame.

Feb 17, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 26
OK, looks like all AC/DC remasters 2/18 are reduced price!

Therefore I will get the new digipaks at Best Buy:
HIGHWAY TO HELL $9.99
BACK IN BLACK $11.99

Still can't believe some moron decided it was a good idea to have bonus tracks online instead of on CD!

I was going to quickly sell my current copies, which are also older remasters, at half.com. They have already changed the listing for both to 2/18 versions..........usually there is a few weeks delay allowing you to sell old version for top dollar used.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 26
Got my two AC/DC remasters last night at local Best Buy:
BACK IN BLACK - $11.99
HIGHWAY TO HELL - $9.99

Beautiful new digipaks, especially the BIB which has multiple embossing treatments on cover and is a tri-fold design. CD label is all black with gloss/matte graphic treatment, nice 16 page booklet........in a word sweet!

Will listen soon and see if they are sonically superior to last remaster, current one done by George Marino at Sterling Sound.

If only the bonus tracks were on the CD instead of online.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 26
BIB is definitely one of my favorite CDs; I look forward to sonic a comparison to the old one that I already have. If it is significantly better, then I'll go buy it tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Post 911 for me; that brings back some memories.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back