AC adapter for Pro-Ject equipment
Mar 11, 2005 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

actimation

Head-Fier
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable and Phono Box SE in Hong Kong. I had doubts about purchasing audio equpiment, with the whole voltage difference and etc. But the price was right and I was promised 120V wallwarts. After going back to the retailer a week later, I was told to buy the wallwarts else where and the only thing they were going to give me was a 60Hz pulley (for it to work properly in the US). Unfortunately, the store doesn't have a "Best Buy return policy" so I'm stuck with the turntable and phono amp.

Now, I'm going out of my mind looking for a 120V AC adapters for both pieces. I can't seem to find wallwarts of the same specifications of the original wallwarts, which is 16VAC @ 500mA output. I hope you guys could share some light into some of the options I'm considering:

1. The closest wallwart (in terms of the voltage and current ratings) is an 18V/24VAC @1000mA RadioShack wallwart. Could I actually use this wallwart, even though the output rating exceeds what is needed? I'm afraid it would fry my stuff.

2. The Phono Box SE has a 5-pin DIN connector for a 15V DC input. I was thinking I should look for a DC power supply for the Phono Box SE (rather than go through the ordeal of looking for a suitable AC adapter). The instruction manual only states that a 15V DC power source maybe used, but does not specific the current. Does this mean I can use a DC power supply source of any current, as long as its 15VDC?

If I'm going this route, then I'll just get the Speed Box and the power supply for the turntable would be taken care of.

3. Buy the wallwarts from Sumiko, which I consider to be my last option since they quoted me $30 each.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Mark

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 6
in terms of current, you could go as high, as you want - although, the higher the current rating, the higher is the quiescent voltage and the voltage with low power consumption. so... i don't think there's any problem, if you get one < 1000mA. for voltage try to keep your wallwart as near to the recommended values as possible. there's a ac/dc-converter and -regulator inside your stuff that will overheat faster, the higher you step over the recommended voltage.

if you need 15v DC for the phono box, stay away from switching psus! usually those produce lots of noise. make sure you get one with the right pin layout of the din connector! good, clear dc most likely will improve the sound of phono preamps. so maybe it's not a bad idea to ask a diyer to build you a dedicated psu for that purpose.

Mar 12, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the advice.

I've managed to find a place that offers a 16V, 300mA wallwart, which I think should be able to power the Phono Box Se since its power consumption is 16V, 80mA. Or am I wrong on this?

But I would like to have a DC psu instead. Is there any info regarding how to build a DC psu or even one that operates on batteries? ALso, if I do have the 15VDC psu built, does it matter how large is the current output. I can't find any specfications for the current input for the Phono Box SE when using a DC power source.

Mar 12, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 6
devices only use the current, they need. so it is no problem to go with higher current-ratings. but remember my statement above: transformers (an ac-wallwart is just an encased transformer) with higher current ratings usually also have higher quiescent voltage ratings. this could result in some overheating problems with integrated dc-regulators.

for dc-psus there are mainly 2 points that matter:
1. ripple- and noise-reduction
2. voltage stability

take a look at tangent's steps. it measures excellent and uses a well established lm317-schematic.

Mar 12, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Okay. Right now, I've found two 16V AC adapters, one @ 1100mA and another @ 300mA. To avoid possible overheating problems from quiescent voltages, should I choose a 16V, 300mA? If I understand correclty, both will work since the phono will only take 80mA?

Thank you so much for the DIY PSU info. I'm going to look more into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back