ABYSS Top Of The Line videos
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #271 of 603
So in the end we are talking about at least three benchmarks for determining "proper" bass, namely, "reference" bass, "accurate" bass, and subjective preference "bass." Yet all of these are unstable reference points, not to mention moving targets, although they have to be assessed in an interdependent way for each to make sense... For example, "accurate" can be determined only in reference to how well it corresponds to an agreed standard of bass that is external to it, but what is that standard called? "Reference" bass? Natural Bass? Is there any such thing as "natural" bass, especially when discussing music in which everything is artificially arranged, by definition? Incidentally, I can think of one more variable standard, related to that of "subjective preference bass," and which resides in the listener's own shifting moods, their chqanging psychological states, and how those might impact their perception of what is "proper" bass at different times, thus producing variable results depending on the time and psychological state of the listener. As an exaggerated example, what passes for magnificent slamming or textured bass at one moment for a listener might sound like an egregious sensory assault for the same listener when he or she is dealing with a migraine, or when they've just received some piece of bad news about their stock market portfolio..." etc. etc.

In other words, this has been an invigorating discussion, even though it has left me more uncertain than ever about identifying in words, what I have always taken for granted as already known: namely, "great bass." Fortunately I can still recognize it when I feel it, and i think that should suffice for now. It has been an enjoyable and enlightening discussion. Many thanks.

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #272 of 603
Detail.vs clarity, what’s the difference?

Quick question. Is the concept of clarity as Joe explains it related to that of transparency or is it entirely different from it. I would normally assume that somethings that are "clear", like glass are also transparent, but not always. A developed photo could look very clear (with reference to the colors on it, the delineation of objects or persons on it, and its general resolution), and not be "transparent" in the sense of one's ability to see through the paper or canvas on which the photo appears.

But I am more interested (and also confused) by Joe's explanation of the idea of "clarity" by referring it to the original, or by how well a musical reproduction resembles or matches the original (what he calls "clarity to the original")... What if the original itself has nothing that is "clear" about it. An original performance of a piece may sound like a congested mess. So if its reproduction in a recording one is listening to on headphones also sounds similarly congested, can we speak of the "clarity" of such a recording to the source, or its "clarity" in any legitimate sense? In visual metaphors, I could also ask the same question of a photo taken of a blurry, and dimly lit scene on a street at night, a scene which has nothing that appears clearly to the eye on it. Would I be right calling a photo like that "clear" or having "clarity" simply on the grounds of how much it resembles the original? Finally, under what conditions might one speak of any clarity where there is no "original" that is different from the piece one is listening to, or when the very piece one is evaluating is the original?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #278 of 603
Interesting discussion : but I couldn't help noticing that none of you mentioned owning or even using any non-abyss-line headphones. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with that, I admit it. On the other hand, it would have been very interesting for some of us to hear about the headphones you prefer to listen to outside the Abyss line... (Not necessarily implying that you ought to provide "free publicity" to some of your competitors, and I would not call your preferences "free publicity" either)

I can understand the importance of showing "brand-loyalty" to your own manufactured brand, but still, I cannot believe that you're absolutely disinterested in other headphone brands, since you necessarily need to listen to others in order to assess your competition... That is just a savvy business practice and is to be expected.... Oh well...

I'm not trying to be difficult or troll anyone or anything you have said... I would be interested to know what headphones you like listening to, that is if you genuinely enjoy any outside your own brand if possible... Yes, there are probably professional pitfalls involved in discussing other headphone brands, but still... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

With that out of the way, I'd like to say that these videos are very interesting, fun, and very informative... I wish more of your competitors also did the same... Many thanks to you for such inside peeks

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #279 of 603
We did mention this in the video comments, copied below. We don't use other manufacturer's headphones to compare to. Maybe we'll do a follow-up video to expand on this.
Thanks!
'Joe has a set of Pioneer SE-50 from the 70's and a Bowers PX7 noise cancelling for travel. Jason Sony WH1000XM2 (no longer uses) and AirPods Pro for travel.'

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #280 of 603
Interesting discussion : but I couldn't help noticing that none of you mentioned owning or even using any non-abyss-line headphones. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with that, I admit it. On the other hand, it would have been very interesting for some of us to hear about the headphones you prefer to listen to outside the Abyss line... (Not necessarily implying that you ought to provide "free publicity" to some your competitors, and I would not call your preferences "free publicity" either)

I can understand the importance of showing "brand-loyalty" to your own manufactured brand, but still, I cannot believe that you're absolutely disinterested in other headphone brands, since you necessarily need to listen to others in order to assess your competition... That is just a savvy business practice and is to be expected.... Oh well...

I'm not trying to be difficult or troll anything... I would be interested to know what headphones you like listening to, that is if you genuinely enjoy any outside your own brand if possible... Yes, there are probably professional pitfalls involved in discussing other headphone brands, but still... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

With that out of the way, I'd like to say that these videos are very interesting, fun, and very informative... I wish more of your competitors also did the same... Many thanks to you for such inside peeks
Maybe being an audiophile is not their hobby they invest their money in.. or possibly they don't have the kinds of cash many TOTL headphones cost these days.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #285 of 603
We did mention this in the video comments, copied below. We don't use other manufacturer's headphones to compare to. Maybe we'll do a follow-up video to expand on this.
Thanks!
'Joe has a set of Pioneer SE-50 from the 70's and a Bowers PX7 noise cancelling for travel. Jason Sony WH1000XM2 (no longer uses) and AirPods Pro for travel.'
If you don’t use other headphones the question is simple. How you know is the “best”? Your favorite would be more appropriate but again you need a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back