Absolutely love Porcupine Tree's FOBP - what other albums like this?
Oct 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kmcdonou

100+ Head-Fier
I am a rock person and enjoy a variety of rock music. I recently tried Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet and can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a new album so much in a long time. I am looking for other albums that are like this one. I've done some reading in forums and when someone asks for more music like PT, I hear Oceansize, Riverside, and Pineapple Thief.

I went to Youtube and listened to several songs by these groups and they all seemed a little slow and dreamy. Granted, PT has a dream quality at times, (My Ashes, beginning and ends of Anesthesize), but frequently their songs are punctuated by a guitar presence that connects with my rock soul. I like the edge that the guitar imparts. I didn't seem to get that with the songs I listened to from these other groups. Now maybe I didn't listen to the right songs and there is some albums by these groups that do have more of a rock/guitar presence.

That said, I also do not have any other PT album. I know people highly recommend In Abstentia, but how does this and other albums from PT differ from FOBP? Like I said, I like the rock presence in many of the songs from this album, and although I still may like other PT albums, at this time I am looking for albums that have a rock presence, yet don't get too dark or angry (such as Tool, which I do like, but am looking for something different).

Another album that I like to listen to when I am in the mood for FOBP (which is frequently as of late) is A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step. I like their earlier album, Mer de Moms too, but it is a little angrier, not as melodic (if that is the right term) as Thirteenth Step.

So, does anyone have suggestions for albums like FOBP or Thirteenth Step that have a rock/guitar presence, but aren't overly dark or angry. Ideally, your recommendations will be for groups that are fairly talented. Don't get me wrong, I have albums I really like by groups that aren't particularly talented (Three Days Grace self entitled album, Seether Disclaimer, etc.). However, it seems to me the albums in my collection that I listen to over and over and are fairly timeless are from bands that are particularly talented musically.

If you do not think PT and A Perfect Circle are particular talented, then so be it. Maybe they are not. It is not an important criteria in making a recommendation.

Thanks much.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 18
Maybe the last of PT, "The Incident" can do in your case, while I dont find very connected In Absentia with FOBP,

I can`t find much bands, that can match their talent, other then PINK FLOYD

PS: I mean...

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 18
Check out Russian Circles - Event. It's considered post-rock, and it's instrumental, but it definitely rocks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 18
atlanta's 'Abigail's Ghost' sounds a lot like porcupine tree... so much so on their first record that folks chided them on it. the newer cd is less so, but both are enjoyable.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 18
Even PT doesnt really have anything thats like FOABP. Its really one of my favourite albums of all time, right up there considering the album as a whole.

First thing I'd do however, is get the EP that immediately followed FOABP, called Nil Recurring. Maintains a very similar theme and flow, and mood. It couldve very well been disc 2 on FOABP except maybe the first song which is a little bit different from the rest of the album. To me, "What Happens Now" and "Normal" are two of PT's best songs.

Get that first, no doubt about it. Follow up with Deadwing, which IMO is closer to FOABP than In Absentia. You cant go wrong with Lightbulb Sun either, there are some elements in FOABP that come from the Lightbulb Sun era.

The new album pales in front of a complex masterpiece like FOABP. There are some good songs on the new one, but it doesnt have the cohesive strength and complexity of the older album.

The only other albums I'd put in the same league and are as cohesive are from Pink FLoyd like someone mentioned.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 18
Wow, kinda bummed I am not hearing moregroups that are as musically talented and have produced albums with comparable stylistic features of PT and FOABP.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 18
One can use "Pandora" or "Last.fm" and setup your "station" to that artist and it will play what other thinks is similar to your chosen artist.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 18
Yes, I did do that with Pandora for a bit, but was getting groups that were too dreamy or slow. I did get one band that seemed interesting, but I forgot the name. I need to go back to Pandora and replay that station to see if that band comes up again.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 18
yeah I think you'll like Deadwing and In Absentia. If you liked Anesthetize, Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here) will bowl you over. I think you might like Stupid Dream perhaps even more than Lightbulb Sun. Nil Recurring to me should have been included in Blank Planet the same way they did Disc 2 of The Incident.

Funny thing is PT's changes leave them with no two albums exactly alike, with different albums being better than others for different people. I have read a few complaints that the latest (The Incident) has less appeal for them because it's not as heavy as Blank Planet. The some other fans who loved early spaced out PT say its a slight return to form...

p.s Have you gotten the live DVD yet?

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

p.s Have you gotten the live DVD yet?

That's an excellent concert DVD and what got me started with PT after hearing about them here.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 18
Porcupine Tree is progressive rock, progressive rock is meant to be a little slow and dreamy. For something aggressive and metal-sounding which I think is what you are looking for I recommend The Mars Volta and Tool. Alternatively you might be interested in the progressive metal bands like Symphony X and Opeth.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Absolutely, agree with Nil Recurring connected to FOABP, BUT
BELIEVE me, their last album is VERY GOOD,
I can't tell, its their best, because, better hear it after some time,

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 18
If you like FOABP, I would check out the rest of the Porcupine Tree catalog. The reason being that FOABP is their weakest album in their entire lineup in my opinion. If you like that one, all their other ones will be that much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back