Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Nov 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #196 of 566
Glad to know that your are enjoying the flasher. I am hoping that the magic will last and not disappearing after a week of serious listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its now 5 in the morning and I have been listening to the flasher all night and this is by far the best tube for the 650. Vocals are perfect and this tube is very 3 dimensional as compared to the others I have tried. Bass is closer to the RCA 12BH7A than the others too. All I have to do is choose 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/192 on my dac and I get a perfect sound signature for every track I listen to.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #197 of 566
Quote:

Its now 5 in the morning and I have been listening to the flasher all night and this is by far the best tube for the 650. Vocals are perfect and this tube is very 3 dimensional as compared to the others I have tried. Bass is closer to the RCA 12BH7A than the others too. All I have to do is choose 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/192 on my dac and I get a perfect sound signature for every track I listen to.

I don't see that you mention what Amperex it is that you consider the best tube for your 650s. Is it the 7316?

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #198 of 566
Raffy,

I got it from Vintage Tube Services. He has pretty much just about anything, but it will cost you. $90 for a used pair, one of his perfect picks.

I have several 12AU7's that flash in my amp. Currently, my 60's Mullard does, and I have not had any issues with the sound. Still sweet as ever.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #199 of 566
Quote:

I take it that refers to some of them and not all of them.

holland made amperex 12A*7 tubes flash upon start up.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #200 of 566
Add a matched pair of the Sylvania Gold Brand/Gold Pin 5687's to my incoming tube list. I just couldn't say no.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #201 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raffy,

I got it from Vintage Tube Services. He has pretty much just about anything, but it will cost you. $90 for a used pair, one of his perfect picks.

I have several 12AU7's that flash in my amp. Currently, my 60's Mullard does, and I have not had any issues with the sound. Still sweet as ever.

Are these the Tungsol 5687s from the late 40s/early 50s that have the "12au7 style" ribbed plates? What I mean is that the plates should look like 12au7 ribbed plates and not the same pinched plates like most Tungsol 5687s have.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #202 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these the Tungsol 5687s from the late 40s/early 50s that have the "12au7 style" ribbed plates? What I mean is that the plates should look like 12au7 ribbed plates and not the same pinched plates like most Tungsol 5687s have.

There is both the original TS side D getter Ribbed plate and a later TS Ribbed plate top D getter. I have examples of both. In fact, I have the original 1948 vintage side 1948 D getter ribbed plate in a PPX3 SLAM right now. I think the tube is way overhyped. I dont hear anything noticeably better than the standard D getter; maybe a little more dimensionality. But, I bet I couldnt pick out which tube was which. Moreover, these older 5687s have a stong tendency to be microphonic.

Someone was selling these for $300 a pair in the for sale forum. How many ways can I say I think that is a waste of money .... unless of course you like collecting and / or using rare tubes.

If I were going to pay a premium price for a 5687 I would get some Sylvania gold brand 5687s .... which are very well built and seem to last and last in my SP amps. The Sylvania has a different but nice neutral/ musical sound that compliments the TS sound quite well.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #204 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is both the original TS side D getter Ribbed plate and a later TS Ribbed plate top D getter. I have examples of both. In fact, I have the original 1948 vintage side 1948 D getter ribbed plate in a PPX3 SLAM right now. I think the tube is way overhyped. I dont hear anything noticeably better than the standard D getter; maybe a little more dimensionality. But, I bet I couldnt pick out which tube was which. Moreover, these older 5687s have a stong tendency to be microphonic.

Someone was selling these for $300 a pair in the for sale forum. How many ways can I say I think that is a waste of money .... unless of course you like collecting and / or using rare tubes.

If I were going to pay a premium price for a 5687 I would get some Sylvania gold brand 5687s .... which are very well built and seem to last and last in my SP amps. the Sylvania has a different but nice neutral/ musical sound that compliments the TS sound quite well.

I've been trying to look for those Sylavania 5687s, never got lucky though. How would you say these sound compared to Tungsols and GE 5-Stars?

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #205 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raffy,

My Mullard is from VTS as a perfect pick and it came in top condition too. Funny thing, that Mullard doesn't flash while I had a Philips Miniwatt stamped Mullard that looked identical to the Mullard but flashed.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #206 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see that you mention what Amperex it is that you consider the best tube for your 650s. Is it the 7316?

Yes the 7316 is a military version of a 12AU7.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #207 of 566
Raffy, it's strange on the flashing. I know everyone is saying the Amperex flashes, but as I stated my Mullard flashes on start up, and so did the first Telefunken I used that I had purchased on ebay.

I was a little concerned at first, but it has never affected the sound. Who knows?

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #208 of 566
Correction: Both of the Amperex tubes I bought flash. I cannot believe all the reading I have done on Head-Fi and I have never seen anyone mention this before. Dont you guys find it strange, all the newbies buying tube amps and never one mention?

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #209 of 566
Quote:

Correction: Both of the Amperex tubes I bought flash. I cannot believe all the reading I have done on Head-Fi and I have never seen anyone mention this before. Dont you guys find it strange, all the newbies buying tube amps and never one mention?

Go over to the Tube Asylum .... all these type of details get mentioned over there. The DIY Tube Forum is a good source of info too. Alot of this info gets mentioned in the Singlepower tuberolling threads as well.

Tubes Asylum

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #210 of 566
Ha ha ... So I am almost correct.. It is "Flash by Design" and there is nothing to be worried about since it has been proven that it is normal especially for European Tubes to have such so called feature. I would recognized it as authentication instead of faulty design...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go over to the Tube Asylum .... all these type of details get mentioned over there. The DIY Tube Forum is a good source of info too. Alot of this info gets mentioned in the Singlepower tuberolling threads as well.

Tubes Asylum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back