Absolutely can't decide...HD280 or Sony V6/7506
Dec 27, 2003 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JungleMan

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new set of closed headphones for under $100. I have a cheapie pair of Aiwa HP-X222 right now, they do OK, but they're kinda falling apart and the sound quality isn't the best, so I want something really good
smily_headphones1.gif

Between the HD280 and the Sony V6/7506, what would you all recommend?

I am looking for overall sound quality and clarity for music, bass response, and comfort.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm looking for a decent amount of bass, but bass is really a secondary concern...I am more focused on sound quality/clarity, and of course comfort.

From what I keep hearing the V6 are very accurate but the Senns are more "musical". Your opinions are needed...

Also which one has a better soundstage?

Dec 27, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Just order both and see what you like better. Make sure you give the 280's ATLEAST a 50 hour burn in from what I have heard. There are a bunch of threads comparing them so just do a search. I wont just repeat what others have said, for I havent heard either myself.

Dec 27, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 21
Sonys are more in your face sound. Sennheisers are more musical.

I would not recommend using Sennheiser 250 pads on the Sony MDR7506/V6 headphones. While it does make them more comfortable, it moves the drivers farther from the ears thus over emphisizing the high frequency response even more than it already is.

The Sony phones are good for recording/mixing situations where you want to hear what is wrong with the recording, but the Sennheisers are better at presenting an enjoyable listening environment.

Dec 27, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Are you saying the Senns are more pleasant to listen to but fundamentally are not as accurate?

I'm not doing any studio monitoring or movies if that helps..just looking for good music and gaming, mostly music. Just want something that sounds good...bass is fine but not TOO much...

If it helps as a point of reference I have the Promedia 4.1 speakers for my comp and I love them, but I can't blast 'em loud at 1AM so I need a set of cans that will deliver excellent sound
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Are you saying the Senns are more pleasant to listen to but fundamentally are not as accurate?

I've heard both, but not at the same time and not in a while. I would say that the Sony is more exciting and the Senn is more accurate.

Really, I'd say buy them both and give them a try. I bet you will strongly like one or the other, as I don't think I've ever heard of a person who liked them equally well.
wink.gif

I'd give the Sony about 50 hours of burn-in, while the Sennheiser really needs 100 before you should make any judgments.

Quote:

If it helps as a point of reference I have the Promedia 4.1 speakers for my comp and I love them

Then (if you can't try both), go with the Sony. Their sound is quite similar to the Promedia.

Dec 27, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 21
What online store has the best return policy??
biggrin.gif
Good prices would be good as well, since I'd rather return one headphone than two and then go re-buy one..

I will CONSIDER getting both but might just settle on one.

Dec 27, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 21
Unfortunately, I don't think the Sony is sold anywhere with a good return policy.
frown.gif

The Senn is sold at Headroom for $99 with a 30 day money back guarantee. Though, they can be had for ~$70 IIRC at sites like Amazon.com.

Dec 27, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Well...both of the arguments are convincing yet slightly contradictory...I really am not sure what to do at this point...

What I am considering doing is buying the HD280s from Amazon for $69.99, burning them in, and if I don't like them, return them and get the V6. If I do like the HD280, I'm not gonna worry about if I'd like the V6 "more", one of these days I will become an obsessed headphone nut like the rest of you and buy an obscenely expensive new pair anyway but for now these will do
280smile.gif

Good idea?

Anyways, any further opinions needed on HD280 vs V6 vs any other possible options...

Dec 27, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Good idea?

Absolutely. Buying either headphone is a good idea, and if you don't like one, you will probably like the other one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, the key to the HD280 is patience because it is very likely that you won't like it right out of the box. If I were you, I would take it out, listen for a few minutes to find the right volume and verify that it isn't defective or anything like that. Then leave it for a few days to burn in. Maybe not even pick it up again until the 100 hour mark.

Dec 27, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Sounds good...I have 3 comps here anyway, so I can hook em up to the secondary one so I can still listen to music on my current Aiwas during the burn-in period...

I heard there are special files that you loop and they're optimal for burning in the HD280? Can someone link me up with those files?

Anyways, I will probably get the HD280, I will let you all know how they work out.
cool.gif
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back