Absolute quietest headphones?
Aug 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

what?

100+ Head-Fier
id like to be able to enjoy music while i refinish/sand floors. (i do about 15 a year with my work)

its a pretty noisy job, would active noise canceling headphones work or do i need to diy/custom build myself a pair of really isolating headphones? 

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 9
The best you could do is get a pair of  iems and wear some muffs over top (NC muffs if you really need that extra step). 

If you don't want to go with iems, then the best passive isolation I've ever heard would be the Sennheiser HD280/380, HD25-1-ii, Beyer DT1350, Beyer DT770M. 

For active NC, bang for the buck is the Audio Technica ANC7b. More expensive is the Bose QC15 and Senn PC350/450.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 9
+1 for DT770

+1 DT1350

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 9
i tried iems and defender, it does work well but is a PITA if i need to talk to anyone, i took my hd280s apart the other day and found many voids in them, in fact there is nothing inside them but voids, i filled all the voids with foam deadening/quieting material, it improved the isolation a lot, but i still want to have better.
Quote:
The best you could do is get a pair of  iems and wear some muffs over top (NC muffs if you really need that extra step). 

If you don't want to go with iems, then the best passive isolation I've ever heard would be the Sennheiser HD280/380, HD25-1-ii, Beyer DT1350, Beyer DT770M. 

For active NC, bang for the buck is the Audio Technica ANC7b. More expensive is the Bose QC15 and Senn PC350/450.

any links to where these are reviewed as noise canceling/isolating?

Quote:
+1 for DT770

+1 DT1350

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 9
Aug 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
id like to be able to enjoy music while i refinish/sand floors. (i do about 15 a year with my work)

its a pretty noisy job, would active noise canceling headphones work or do i need to diy/custom build myself a pair of really isolating headphones? 

Is there a lot of dust in that working environment? Have you considered IEMs?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
i tried iems and defender, it does work well but is a PITA if i need to talk to anyone, i took my hd280s apart the other day and found many voids in them, in fact there is nothing inside them but voids, i filled all the voids with foam deadening/quieting material, it improved the isolation a lot, but i still want to have better.

any links to where these are reviewed as noise canceling/isolating?

All the ones I've listed I have personally heard and/or owned at one point.  You could check headphone.com for their various graphs to compare isolation.

Like this...

Here's innerfidelity's review on noise cancelling headphones: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Ety's + triflange isolate like crazy. There's simply nothing that can put those guys into perspective when it comes to isolation. Even memory foam earplugs don't compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back