Absolute best budget earbuds?
May 10, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #2,866 of 2,999
IIRC, couple of years ago, people in here mostly talked about earbuds below US$20. There were more chatter about low-end Monks, SHE3800, TY Hi-Z etc. I am guessing the lack of chatter now is due to people going to the main earbud thread or facebook sites. IMO, this is a good place for earbud newbies on a budget. This thread serves as good knowledge resource for anyone looking for decent-sounding cheap earbuds. It will just evolve a bit slower than it used to, that's all.

EDIT: Plus there's no greater joy than having unsuspecting friends test my el cheapo earbuds. And have their eyes nearly pop out from they sounds they hear. They always ask, "How much?". I tell them, and their earphone-listening economics is changed forever! :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,867 of 2,999
That was Tom's philosophy.

As for budget buds, I have seen him enjoy his music as much with a $10 bud as with a $1400 headphone...and yes,of course he knew the latter was "better.". It's just that it was always about the music and he would never tell someone that they had to spend a lot to enjoy it

It was music that brought us together..not gear.

All about the music indeed! And sadly for some of us, it's also about the "gear buying addiction". Thank goodness for glorious sounding budget buds!

Since cheapo $5-20 buds sound so good these days, they seem to be discussed in the earbuds roundup thread almost as much as the TOTL buds, so this thread does seem a bit redundant at times. Maybe we need to redefine "absolute budget earbuds" as "any earbud that costs between $.01 and $4.99" LOL

May 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,868 of 2,999
Since cheapo $5-20 buds sound so good these days, they sem to be discussed in the earbuds roundup thread almost as much as the TOTL buds, so this thread does seem a bit redundant at times. Maybe we need to redefine "absolute budget earbuds" as "any earbud that costs between $.01 and $4.99" LOL
I used to called this place the $10 club. Maybe it should now aspire to be the $2 club. Diminishing returns just got more challenging! I miss the good/bad old days of "It's dirt cheap, but does it have a good microphone as well??" :)

May 30, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,869 of 2,999
del

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,871 of 2,999
Does anyone know why the earbuds round up thread has been locked?
Let's not discuss that here and risk losing this too. We will have to wait and see . meanwhile read back in there for clues..and hope it gets unlocked

May 30, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #2,872 of 2,999
Yes it is very sad the earbuds thread got locked. It was a big wealth of information (and it still is), I've learnt a lot from the earbuds experts in the short few months I subscribed to it. @WoodyLuvr and I have set up a new earbuds thread here in the meantime:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-earbuds-discussion-thread.933572/

Hopefully if the mods unlock the previous thread, I can delete or migrate all the posts over, though we have started discussing earbuds there already (current discussion is on new Yincrow RW1000 bass version)!

May 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,873 of 2,999
Do not delete anything from the original thread…if it does not open up it will remain as an archive of info. A bit premature to replace it. It is still too early to know.

Most of the time threads are unlocked after the mods have cleaned up any offending posts. Happens all the time in certain threads.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,874 of 2,999
Let's not discuss that here and risk losing this too. We will have to wait and see . meanwhile read back in there for clues..and hope it gets unlocked
Thank you for your reply, I did read the thread and found nothing lock-worthy unless offending posts were deleted. I don´t think asking questions on why such a long standing thread, in which I have participated actively and read almost every day is now locked, should bring about fear of this one being gone too, but I will heed your advice and will refrain from further comments to avoid any problems.

May 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,875 of 2,999
In other news I dug out the old VE Monk+ last week and was surprised how much I enjoyed listening to them. Always had a soft spot for them but been using the **** BK2 and RY4S UE exclusively for past few months, am busy doing final assignment for qualification and have promised myself a new DAP and earbuds once I get it all finished, most likely the Sony a55 and some mid tier buds as the **** are the most expensive I've got.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #2,876 of 2,999
Have anyone here that tested any of this bluetooth earbuds: Edifier TWS200, Sabbat x12, Soundpeats Trueair and Truebuds, is there anything good?

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,877 of 2,999
For those of you that have a LG V series phone, here are my eq settings that bring the snow lotus pretty close to Harman target.

Screenshot_20200601-145027.png

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,878 of 2,999
Have anyone here that tested any of this bluetooth earbuds: Edifier TWS200, Sabbat x12, Soundpeats Trueair and Truebuds, is there anything good?
if you jump on the "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet? " thread, a bunch of head-fi'ers have written observations on all those models.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,879 of 2,999
Really sorry to hear about the loss @mbwilson111 and to remind u of this painful memory. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Didnt know i will feel so much for someone i havent met before. Stay strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back