Absolute best budget earbuds?
May 9, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #2,851 of 2,999
Arguing about the terminology is getting annoying. This thread does not even need to exist because earbuds of all prices are discussed in the well regarded Earbuds Roundup thread.

Go to the first post in this thread and you will see we are a long way from its original purpose.

May 9, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #2,852 of 2,999
I'd argue this thread still serves a purpose, as it could be a useful source of information for budget earbuds. At times there has been a tendency for people to recommend on the other earbud thread higher priced, sometimes quite so, earbuds than are being requested. Plus, as there are thousands of threads dedicated to various IEMs, headphones and such, only having one thread for a format that still has a very active community feels odd to me.

May 9, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #2,853 of 2,999
I'd argue this thread still serves a purpose, as it could be a useful source of information for budget earbuds. At times there has been a tendency for people to recommend on the other earbud thread higher priced, sometimes quite so, earbuds than are being requested. Plus, as there are thousands of threads dedicated to various IEMs, headphones and such, only having one thread for a format that still has a very active community feels odd to me.

OK. Maybe I am just crabby because as you have probably seen I am dealing with the devastating loss of my husband @HungryPanda to Covid 19 on April 15. He was a hospital worker. We both had it and were trying to take care of each other. Obviously I failed him.

May 9, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #2,854 of 2,999
OK. Maybe I am just crabby because as you have probably seen I am dealing with the devastating loss of my husband @HungryPanda to Covid 19 on April 15. He was a hospital worker. We both had it and were trying to take care of each other. Obviously I failed him.
Please don't think like that, you gotta stay strong and think about your own recovery first!
The community will always be there to help and support you! 😁

Now for the topic, I honestly think it's really redundant to talk about such terminology, the name of this thread has been established pages ago.
I like to call them flat-heads though lol, kinda has a nice ring to it, and iems as in-ears.

May 9, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,855 of 2,999

U didn't fail him for sure! I'm sure Tom wouldn't have thought this way. So please don't blame yourself! Hope u are staying strong and well! It's honestly very good to see u back on the audio forums =)

But I do agree with u that there are a lot of superfluous threads on headfi. This thread can for sure be seen as a subset of the Earbuds Round-up thread, though maybe with a focus on non TOTL buds. Though there's way bigger overlaps in CHIFI IEMs with the Chinese Brands thread, sub $100 thread, $100 - 300 thread and not to mention all the individual CHIFI IEMs have their own dedicated thread that and those same IEMs are discussed there too.

May 9, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,857 of 2,999
Arguing about the terminology is getting annoying. This thread does not even need to exist because earbuds of all prices are discussed in the well regarded Earbuds Roundup thread.

Go to the first post in this thread and you will see we are a long way from its original purpose.
I agree. It's exhausting and useless. It's better to just let it be than argue about things.

Stay strong. And it's never your fault. Everyone loves you both around here. :frowning2:

May 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,858 of 2,999
I can relate. I felt that way when I lost my dad to a brain tumor years ago. I couldn’t stop thinking about what if I had done this or that in terms of treatment decisions. There were so many things I might’ve done differently and I beat myself up over it.
We didn’t fail them.
We loved them with all our hearts and always will.
So be crabby or anything you like because he and you are loved here.

May 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,859 of 2,999
I agree. It's exhausting and useless. It's better to just let it be than argue about things

That was Tom's philosophy.

As for budget buds, I have seen him enjoy his music as much with a $10 bud as with a $1400 headphone...and yes,of course he knew the latter was "better.". It's just that it was always about the music and he would never tell someone that they had to spend a lot to enjoy it

It was music that brought us together..not gear.

May 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,860 of 2,999
I just saw this. I am so sorry. Your husband was a top notch man. I just want to send you all my good wishes and blessings. He gave all of much here so much honesty. I am so glad that you are still here with us. Devastated.

May 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,861 of 2,999
I just saw this. I am so sorry. Your husband was a top notch man. I just want to send you all my good wishes and blessings. He gave all of much here so much honesty. I am so glad that you are still here with us. Devastated.

So sorry

May 9, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,862 of 2,999

As for budget buds, I have seen him enjoy his music as much with a $10 bud as with a $1400 headphone...and yes,of course he knew the latter was "better.". It's just that it was always about the music and he would never tell someone that they had to spend a lot to enjoy it

Yep! Everything you say is true.

Much love :)

May 9, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,863 of 2,999

MBWilson111, I have watched you and HungryPanda from day 1 and both of your contributions to this website have been nothing short of tremendous. I have been into music for 55 years, long before the tsunami of headphones, and you are right - it IS about the music, to this day. I think you may have a wonderful story in telling us how music brought you and Tom together. I know off topic, but you are very important to this community and I would love it if you could share. Thanks.

May 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2,864 of 2,999

Thank you so much for keeping Tom's message going!
I've got the cabin fever and was feeling a lot of anxiety about what to buy next.
Got some Dragon 2+ in the mail coming my way but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy music with the excellent buds I have already...
I needed to hear this today.
I am a dirty gear addict...

May 10, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,865 of 2,999
MBWilson111, I have watched you and HungryPanda from day 1 and both of your contributions to this website have been nothing short of tremendous. I have been into music for 55 years....
@mbwilson111 if i were to write my thoughts i would repeat MisterMudd's words.. i too have always read both your posts eagerly. I have always found you both sensible and realistic. I will not hide that i have been a bit jealous of this husband/wife duo on Head-fi (considering i have to hide my purchases from my wife). You clearly stood out from the earbud crowd. @HungryPanda will be deeply missed here. The earbud threads will never be the same. My deepest sincere condolences and please stay strong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back