Absolute best budget earbuds?
Mar 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #723 of 2,999
  Well I finally got around to ordering the Phillips SHE3800 from Fasttech....The wait begins.

They are over-rated. There are a few flaws with them, and that should be the case because of the price. It's better to buy a quality earbud vs the cheap ones. Unless someone likes playing with upgrades, like adding a better plug or new cable, this would be a cool bud to do that too. Other than that, you might as well invest in a better sound.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #724 of 2,999
You've really had some long waits haven't you, between this and the Walnut :frowning2: Such a good combo as well. It'll be worth the wait I reckon :-D

Yeah, unfortunately those are the best orders. I have a feeling it's going to take ages to get either of them if they do come. I will be ordering E-packet, Singapore Post or Hong Kong Post Air Mail from now on. Those come in 14-30 days.

The Hong Kong Post being even better for me in Canada than e-packet. Or, maybe I got lucky so far...

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #725 of 2,999
  They are over-rated. There are a few flaws with them, and that should be the case because of the price. It's better to buy a quality earbud vs the cheap ones. Unless someone likes playing with upgrades, like adding a better plug or new cable, this would be a cool bud to do that too. Other than that, you might as well invest in a better sound.

Just really want to compare them to my Monk+ Darths and then will change cable and plug if it fits my sound signature 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #726 of 2,999
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread...another budget earbud!
64 Ohm and 150 Ohm. Cost (at the time of posting) - $9.23/$14.51

New PureSounds PS100 64ohm Hifi In Ear Earbuds In Ear Earphone 150ohm Earbuds DIY Earphone DJ Sweet Earburd

Specification:                                                                                                             
 1. Product Name: PS100    
 2. Brand: PureSounds
 3. Type: in Ear-bud  
 4. Impedance: 64ohm/150ohm
 5. Headphone sensitivity:108db
 6. Frequency range: 20-25000Hz
 7. Interface: 3.5mm
 8. Cable Length: 1.2m±5cm
 9. Color:64ohm/150ohm
10.Materials: Plastic
11.Headphone plug type: Straight Connector
12.Whether with Mic and remote: NO MIC

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-PureSounds-PS100-64ohm-Hifi-In-Ear-Earbuds-In-Ear-Earphone-150ohm-Earbuds-DIY-Earphone-DJ/32798251732.html

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #727 of 2,999
  60 days later I'm still waiting for my Monk+ in Canada. :frowning2:

I ordered from the VE website not Aliexpress. Was surprised when they showed up. Also made sure the order was under $20. (big deal in Canada importing.)

Finally found a fit. It was with oddest thing. I tried the foam from my new not even a hour old SHE3800. Don't know why it didn't work with the thick Monk foams and worked with the Philips. It added some low end. I am noticing how the album was produced is making a big difference. Got to try it with amp at home. Hmm maybe I will take a hole punch to the Philips foam, would that add some high end back in.

Just got my SHE3800. And then promptly lost my first pair to my partner he took one listen and only gave them back so I could put thin foams on them. There is no way that $3 should be this fun. Instant fit with Monk+ thin foams. Mids are a tad recessed but I don't mind. Used to a V shape from my KSC75 and Beyers. Fantastic deal. Instant love. Might buy a couple more. So tempted. 

Now if I could only find an ear bud like the Sony MA900 I would be set. Finding one with the Sony voice and that soundstage would be a tough one. 

Still waiting on TY32 and KZ Z3 and ATR. Yes I know the last two are iems.

Been a very interesting day. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #728 of 2,999

You don't know what you're talking about. The SHE3800's are a fine set of earbuds. 

The sound quality is very good, esp. considering the price ($3). When you factor in price, it's a stunning value. I would say the sound signature is v shaped: some noticeable bass punch and a bit of treble lift. These are very efficient earbuds as well: they are clearly louder than the monk+ at the same volume setting on a dap. 

I prefer the more neutral sound of the monk+ but the 3800's are good to go for long listening sessions. They are not fatiguing IMO and while there is bass and treble emphasis it leads to a fun listening experience. 

I have one pair and a second on order. At approx. half the price of monk+ I consider them the best value in earbuds. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #729 of 2,999
alstone

There is nothing wrong with anyone's hearing.

The she3800 are not bad but have plenty of faults too. I rarely use mine modded or not.

LMD has pretty good taste actually from what I've read.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #731 of 2,999
  Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread...another budget earbud!
64 Ohm and 150 Ohm. Cost (at the time of posting) - $9.23/$14.51

New PureSounds PS100 64ohm Hifi In Ear Earbuds In Ear Earphone 150ohm Earbuds DIY Earphone DJ Sweet Earburd

Specification:                                                                                                             
 1. Product Name: PS100    
 2. Brand: PureSounds
 3. Type: in Ear-bud  
 4. Impedance: 64ohm/150ohm
 5. Headphone sensitivity:108db
 6. Frequency range: 20-25000Hz
 7. Interface: 3.5mm
 8. Cable Length: 1.2m±5cm
 9. Color:64ohm/150ohm
10.Materials: Plastic
11.Headphone plug type: Straight Connector
12.Whether with Mic and remote: NO MIC

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-PureSounds-PS100-64ohm-Hifi-In-Ear-Earbuds-In-Ear-Earphone-150ohm-Earbuds-DIY-Earphone-DJ/32798251732.html

Are these old stock/previous versions? Maybe the quality is sub-par and no longer endorsed by Puresound?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #732 of 2,999
So, today I received a couple of Monk Plus earbuds (Smoke, and Coffee Gold w/3-Click Mic), and now I know why people on here kept saying that the Monk Plus doesn't have very much low Bass performance.  Before today, I've been listening to my Espresso Edition 2.5TRRS Monk Plus, and they have much better low Bass impact than these standard versions.

Also in the mail today, were the Qian25 and Qian39 earbuds that I ordered.  Comparing them to the various Monk Plus earbuds (all with Hiegi donut foams), and connected to my Shanling M1 (playing Amber Rubarth's "Sessions from the 17th Ward"), my impressions are -

The Qian39 and Coffee Gold Monk Plus sound similar (NOTE: due to different impedance, I had to try to volume match), with the Qian39 having a slightly more forward Midrange, which provides a bit of additional clarity.  Both of them have less Bass impact than the Qian25, or the Espresso Edition Monk Plus (connected with a 3.5TRS to 2.5TRRS adapter).

Because the Qian25 has more Bass, it's Midrange seems to be slightly recessed (especially compared to the Qian39), but it's still as clear as the Monk Plus models.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #733 of 2,999
@alstone

There is nothing wrong with anyone's hearing.

The she3800 are not bad but have plenty of faults too. I rarely use mine modded or not.

LMD has pretty good taste actually from what I've read.

I think I have good taste; I did a hearing test a couple of years ago at the local fair and at 38 years old they said my hearing was in the low 10/15's. However, a doctor recently damaged the hearing in my left ear while syringing it. I should have checked to see how good/bad they are now. I'll do that this summer or sooner when I see the doctor in the hospital about it.

Talking to others:

I think we should note that if we buy a cheap headphone, it has to be one we're willing to use all the time. Sure, the SHE3800 is a great deal at $3.00 (a lot better than some headphones at $10+), a one-way ticket for Transit for 1.5 hours in my city is the same cost as the SHE3800, but will we use the headphone? I'll be using the transit ticket.

Life isn't about stocking up on as many headphones as we can (like idiot I did to help others not do this in their future), but it's about choosing the absolute best and not buying the least best just because we can.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #734 of 2,999
Chill bruhs, music preference is a subjective thing. For me i just love trying those cheap buds coz anyhow they will always perform better than IEM as 4 times the cost.

But that's the whole point of love ya? U accept the flaws and embrace them just like earbuds. U just cant marry each and everyone of ur lovers, and i think the point LaughMoreDaily is trying to drive is that u can love the SHE3800, but is SHE the one? Just find a better earbud and be done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back