Absolute best budget earbuds?
Sep 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #31 of 2,999
I have both the MONK+ and TY HI-Z, some friend of mine told me that the one who tuned the original monks(v1) is currently the maker of seahf. The TY HI-Z is just a rebrand of seahf as I remember it.

But I definitely prefer TY HI-Z as the price is better than the MONK+. I got mine for only 4.30 dollars while my MONK+ costs me 5 dollars + around 3 dollars for shipping. That's one hell of a price difference considering that TY HI-Z is better in most genre excluding ROCK. Though I should remind that the MONK+ has a bit better build quality, the jack on the TY HI-Z needs a little bit of improvement but that's all you can criticize about it.

The sound on TY HI-Z sounds more upfront compared to the MONK+, though I find the TY HI-Z to have lesser treble detail as the MONK+ has better treble extension. The lows and mids are much better on TY HI-Z. The bass definitely hits similarly like an IEM and it's only 4.30 dollars.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #32 of 2,999
@kelso
I did a comparison between the Monk+ and Hi-Z 32 last week. You have gone into a bit more detail but your views are similar to mine:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/812853/absolute-best-budget-earbuds/15#post_12843681

I received my SHE3800 yesterday and am in the process of burning in and EQing them. I shall add my views to my Monk+/Hi-Z comparison in a few days but early impressions suggest that I may have found a new winner for my tastes.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #33 of 2,999

I received my SHE3800 yesterday and am in the process of burning in and EQing them. I shall add my views to my Monk+/Hi-Z comparison in a few days but early impressions suggest that I may have found a new winner for my tastes.

Glad to know that you got a good pair of SHE3800 and you like its sound 
etysmile.gif

I love mine and have ordered another one, which I am intending to recable (kinda my own edimun/redemun diy attempt 
tongue.gif
).

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #34 of 2,999

Glad to know that you got a good pair of SHE3800 and you like its sound 
etysmile.gif

I love mine and have ordered another one, which I am intending to recable (kinda my own edimun/redemun diy attempt 
tongue.gif
).

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. The stock cable really is appalling, how they get that sound out of them I don't know. Just a Monk+ or Hi-Z cable would be an upgrade!

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #35 of 2,999
  I'll be interested to hear how you get on. The stock cable really is appalling, how they get that sound out of them I don't know. Just a Monk+ or Hi-Z cable would be an upgrade!

So true! It's a miracle that they sound as decent as they are, from those frail looking (feeling) cables. 

Not a DIY expert by any stretch of imagination (just a budding amateur/enthusiast with nascent soldering skills), but will definitely keep you updated about my attempts
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #36 of 2,999

So true! It's a miracle that they sound as decent as they are, from those frail looking (feeling) cables. 

Not a DIY expert by any stretch of imagination (just a budding amateur/enthusiast with nascent soldering skills), but will definitely keep you updated about my attempts
beerchug.gif

Thanks. If it looks easy I might think about using some decent cables from some of my IEMs that are now gathering dust.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #37 of 2,999
Well, I'm so impressed even before completing the burning-in/EQing/comparing of my SHE3800 that I've bought another couple of pairs. I don't know what the story is but AE has none in stock that I can find, I got mine from ebay UK.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #38 of 2,999

Well, I'm so impressed even before completing the burning-in/EQing/comparing of my SHE3800 that I've bought another couple of pairs. I don't know what the story is but AE has none in stock that I can find, I got mine from ebay UK.

I also got these today...they are amazing. Bought 3 more pairs from Fasttech total cost including shipping: $9.91

Damn, I didn't know about Fasttech, that's a helluva price. Oh well, I paid double that but at least I will get them in a couple of days.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #40 of 2,999

I've been thinking a lot and finally do the simple mod. (using Tomahawk foam)

The idea is to expose the 2 vent port at the back to get more airy and extended sound and to fix slight treble fatigue. 
I put small stripe of double sided tapes on each side and put the foam. not only the vent exposed the foam also seems fluffier in each side, making it slightly fuller sounding. shallow stuffing in ear get the best sounding (to my ears anyway)

Spotify 320kbps > iPhone/SGS > O2 > TY

tested with album

Alexis Cole - Dazzling Blue, Stick Figure - Set in Stone, Chesky Ultimate demonstration, Daft Punk - Random Access Memory

SUCCESS!! oh my what a sound, perfect for binaural and dub music! :wink:

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #42 of 2,999
Thanks guys... I have ordered the SHE3800 It'll be interesting to hear how they compare to the Hi-Z 32 and Monk+

Hi Lynn, I was pleasantly surprised, I hope you will be too.

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #43 of 2,999
same here, ordered it yesterday.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #45 of 2,999
Hi guys. What do you think about Panasonic RP-HJE125E compare to she3800?

I have both, but those are two different phone types with Panas being IEMs whereas Philips' being Earbuds.

Not sure whether it is appropriate to compare them.

FWIW, Panas have a warm sound signature (with midbass tilt) with more than decent isolation due to their Ergofit design (in fact, it is one of the few IEMs in my collection that gives me the best isolation). Not known for great detail retrieval or resolution, I bought mine for 4 US$ from Ebay last year. Their main purpose (in my case) being a beater phones for bedtime listening, which they do fantastically well.

SHE3800 OTOH (to my ears and musical tastes), is a different beast (far more detailed and balanced sound signature than Panas) altogether (for different purposes). With these being earbuds, Isolation is out of question (plus not as bassy as Panas).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back