Absolute best budget earbuds?
Oct 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,862 of 2,999
Tomahawk is a very polarizing earbud. Typically you either love it or hate it, I generally think it's ok but not worth the money.
it was meh out of my phone for the mid range. Off my pc with extensive EQ tweaking it was pretty epic though.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #1,863 of 2,999
Tomahawk is a very polarizing earbud. Typically you either love it or hate it, I generally think it's ok but not worth the money.

it's one of the fastest moving earbuds i ever had (meaning i only listened to them for only one or two days before deciding to sell them). the other one was the TY HI-Z 650

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #1,868 of 2,999
Mates, any recommendation for watching movies and tv series, and ocassionally music?

One mate in other forum told me about the Qian69.

Thanks in advance, mates.

i currently enjoying the Svara L for watching movies

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,871 of 2,999
I'd like to throw out a question for you guys that's a little different from the usual. My church does "contemporary," rock-oriented music, and we're looking at adding a personal monitoring system wherein each musician/singer would be able to control their own mix. Where we currently have small monitor speakers in front of each person, we'd then be able to use either the speakers or headphones/earbuds/IEMs. I expect all but the singers (and perhaps they as well) will switch to earbuds. (Traditionally musicians use IEMs, but that would be counterproductive for us. We want to be able to hear each other and the rest of the congregation.) So we'll be looking for something that can be adapted to fit a variety of people, has a sturdy cable, sounds good ... and costs under $25, because to outfit our band with members that rotate in and out each week, we'll need around twenty pairs!

The obvious choice from what I've seen here before would be the VE Monk+, but to me the highs sound closed-off and the midbass is too strong, or at least not complemented by enough deep bass. They might still be the best option, though. I personally prefer the sound of the Edifier H185, but the lows are a bit weak and the cable seems much flimsier. Those two are all I have currently, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to buy samples with. What suggestions do you all have?

Edit: And the cable needs to be black!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,872 of 2,999
I'd like to throw out a question for you guys that's a little different from the usual. My church does "contemporary," rock-oriented music, and we're looking at adding a personal monitoring system wherein each musician/singer would be able to control their own mix. Where we currently have small monitor speakers in front of each person, we'd then be able to use either the speakers or headphones/earbuds/IEMs. I expect all but the singers (and perhaps they as well) will switch to earbuds. (Traditionally musicians use IEMs, but that would be counterproductive for us. We want to be able to hear each other and the rest of the congregation.) So we'll be looking for something that can be adapted to fit a variety of people, has a sturdy cable, sounds good ... and costs under $25, because to outfit our band with members that rotate in and out each week, we'll need around twenty pairs!

The obvious choice from what I've seen here before would be the VE Monk+, but to me the highs sound closed-off and the midbass is too strong, or at least not complemented by enough deep bass. They might still be the best option, though. I personally prefer the sound of the Edifier H185, but the lows are a bit weak and the cable seems much flimsier. Those two are all I have currently, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to buy samples with. What suggestions do you all have?

Original DP100 Dynamic Flat Head Plug Sport Earbud Video Headset HiFi In Ear Earphone HD Sound Quality Earbuds
http://s.aliexpress.com/R3UfAbuU
(from AliExpress Android)

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,873 of 2,999

One thing to consider - Professional IEMs for performers are either wireless, or have some way to anchor the cable to the performer, so that the weight of the extended length cable won't be putting so much stress on the ears / IEMs. If you're going to use consumer earbuds or IEMs (with a standard 1.2m cable), you'll need to come up with a solution to solve that issue.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,874 of 2,999
Original DP100 Dynamic Flat Head Plug Sport Earbud Video Headset HiFi In Ear Earphone HD Sound Quality Earbuds
http://s.aliexpress.com/R3UfAbuU
(from AliExpress Android)

@golov17! I think you recommended the Edifier H185 which I ended up buying and use almost every day. :) What kind of sound signature does this earbud have?

One thing to consider - Professional IEMs for performers are either wireless, or have some way to anchor the cable to the performer, so that the weight of the extended length cable won't be putting so much stress on the ears / IEMs. If you're going to use consumer earbuds or IEMs (with a standard 1.2m cable), you'll need to come up with a solution to solve that issue.

Good call! I'm thinking of using the Elite Core wired body pack or something similar.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,875 of 2,999
Good call! I'm thinking of using the Elite Core wired body pack or something similar.

That looks like it should work well, as long as everyone is wearing a belt, to clip it to.
(As an aside - I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, and other than Mr. Klipsch building speakers in Hope, AR, there wasn't really any audio manufacturing going on in Arkansas back in the 1980s & '90s. I went to Tech school in Texas, and have worked in TX as an Electronics Technician for most of the last 30 years. It's nice to see some other audio industry is going there in Arkansas now.)
For the Personal Monitoring System - will it be a single console, with multiple headphone amplifier outputs - or will it somehow be distributed so that the individuals can actually control their own mix and level at their location?
If it's going to be "centrally located & controlled", then you might want to see if those belt/body packs are available with a local volume control (attenuator) inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back