Absolute best budget earbuds?
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,846 of 2,999
Hi guys, i havent been frequenting this forum as much as i want to after my solder was spoilt which was shortly after getting my Vido. Currently i am enjoying my recabled and reterminated Vido alot and the rest of my earbuds pales in comparison.

Just read through some of the new posts that i missed, seems like for the past few months there isnt much FOTM earbuds with some mentions of DIY PK1, Yincrow, Vido here and there. And no mentions of older buds like Qian39, TY32, SHE3800, E808+. Is this due to the current line of budget buds being superior than older ones? <- This is exactly what i feel right now, maybe not so much for higher tier buds, but definitely budget buds

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,847 of 2,999
Hi guys, i havent been frequenting this forum as much as i want to after my solder was spoilt which was shortly after getting my Vido. Currently i am enjoying my recabled and reterminated Vido alot and the rest of my earbuds pales in comparison.

Just read through some of the new posts that i missed, seems like for the past few months there isnt much FOTM earbuds with some mentions of DIY PK1, Yincrow, Vido here and there. And no mentions of older buds like Qian39, TY32, SHE3800, E808+. Is this due to the current line of budget buds being superior than older ones? <- This is exactly what i feel right now, maybe not so much for higher tier buds, but definitely budget buds
People always hype new stuff... but the hype appears to be real in terms of the EMX500 and graphene's etc.

I tried to emx500, for 12 bucks it's amazing, with the right foams and slight EQing they are real budget winners. I think the graphene's are a similar or maybe even better story.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,848 of 2,999
People always hype new stuff... but the hype appears to be real in terms of the EMX500 and graphene's etc.

I tried to emx500, for 12 bucks it's amazing, with the right foams and slight EQing they are real budget winners. I think the graphene's are a similar or maybe even better story.

Sounds pretty interesting. Do u have Vido / Monks to compare against the EMX500?

The graphenes has pretty good review on my local forum, but its just a handful who got it. I am not sure if i have seen any mention for the past few months (in this thread) as i just glanced through the new posts that were like 50 pages. I havent read the new posts on the earbuds round up thread as they are bazillion posts waiting for me lol

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,849 of 2,999
Sounds pretty interesting. Do u have Vido / Monks to compare against the EMX500?

The graphenes has pretty good review on my local forum, but its just a handful who got it. I am not sure if i have seen any mention for the past few months (in this thread) as i just glanced through the new posts that were like 50 pages. I havent read the new posts on the earbuds round up thread as they are bazillion posts waiting for me lol

Bro, mai too. Just get the graphenes. EMX500 can skip

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,850 of 2,999
Bro, mai too. Just get the graphenes. EMX500 can skip

Ok bro i'll get it! But apparently its OOS. I see the other forum only @rubick got it and seems like it is pretty solid.

Nowadays also nv come poison myself which was a good thing lol

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,852 of 2,999

I have monk, vido and EMX500.

EMX500 is easily the best of the three. Vido wasn't for me. Too much bloated bass and grainy mids. Monk is too dark for me but i got them as my first budget earbuds so they are still cool to have.

EMX500 has nearly the same bass presence as Vido but it's much better controlled and cleaner mids too.

Now people are saying a recabled vido makes all the difference, not sure swapping out cables actually does anything at such a drastic sound change. More like an extremely expensive cable may have better properties but that's at TOTL levl setup. Anyways I'll try it soon and compare recabled vidos to the EMX500. It'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised we'll see :)

EMX500 isn't completely my style, more U shaped than balanced however with Monk thin foams this makes the bass sound tight and mids highs more present and clear. Definitely my preference as I don't like boomy bass over tight bass. Extension, soundstage and separation are great for this price range though. Excellent earbud reminds me of a warmer Toneking tomahawk somewhat.

Haven't got the graphene's but i'd love to get them (sold out from Jim NiceHCK :frowning2: )

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,853 of 2,999
Haven't got the graphene's but i'd love to get them (sold out from Jim NiceHCK :frowning2: )

Bummer man - I want you to have the graphenes. You and I will then have the same budget buds. So far our impressions of the Monk, Vido and MX500's are very similar, so my bet is that you will like the graphenes as much as I do (but my feeling won't be hurt if you are nuts and you don't lol).

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,854 of 2,999
Bummer man - I want you to have the graphenes. You and I will then have the same budget buds. So far our impressions of the Monk, Vido and MX500's are very similar, so my bet is that you will like the graphenes as much as I do (but my feeling won't be hurt if you are nuts and you don't lol).

I'm still learning about my earbud preferences (only got into this hobby recently) but it seems I love slightly warm and energetic earbuds with more balanced preferences than bass heavy or mid centric.

Thing is I haven't ventured into hifi sources yet so I run everything off my iphone 6s for practicality and how I like to listen to music is mostly whilst multitasking or moving around.

I really want to try the graphene's though, they sound perfect for my style. Got the Masya's but waiting for monk thin ve pack to outfit them right with a combo of foams and burn them in for 50 hours. I want to love them but I need to find way to thicken up their sound without losing clarity. They're so good yet thin sounding at the same time. Full foams won't work for clarity, not the same detailing as heigi donut, donuts sound thin on vocals but clarity is there... still brainstorming.

I'm even considering adding to the shell with sugru epoxy resin stuff to make a shape abit thicker to seal the earbud better... but that's a final resort!!!

Maybe iphone 6s isn't a 'full sounding' source for the Masya. It's a very nice source in many ways but it can be slightly thin or lack 'power/energy' with some earbuds.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,855 of 2,999
I'm still learning about my earbud preferences (only got into this hobby recently) but it seems I love slightly warm and energetic earbuds with more balanced preferences than bass heavy or mid centric.

Thing is I haven't ventured into hifi sources yet so I run everything off my iphone 6s for practicality and how I like to listen to music is mostly whilst multitasking or moving around.

I really want to try the graphene's though, they sound perfect for my style. Got the Masya's but waiting for monk thin ve pack to outfit them right with a combo of foams and burn them in for 50 hours. I want to love them but I need to find way to thicken up their sound without losing clarity. They're so good yet thin sounding at the same time. Full foams won't work for clarity, not the same detailing as heigi donut, donuts sound thin on vocals but clarity is there... still brainstorming.

I'm even considering adding to the shell with sugru epoxy resin stuff to make a shape abit thicker to seal the earbud better... but that's a final resort!!!

Maybe iphone 6s isn't a 'full sounding' source for the Masya. It's a very nice source in many ways but it can be slightly thin or lack 'power/energy' with some earbuds.

I'm not familiar with the iphone6 or Masya, but yes, possibly the synergy just isn't there (maybe the Masya needs more driving power). Or else the Masya simply isn't for you (especially when combined with the iphone6). It sounds like you're doing your best to give them a shot though.

The one thing that I love about the graphenes is that to my ears, they sound wonderful off of all of my devices (just different levels of wonderful lol). And for me I don't need to "thicken up" their sound, so I can use donut foams to retain their clarity.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,857 of 2,999
I'm not familiar with the iphone6 or Masya, but yes, possibly the synergy just isn't there (maybe the Masya needs more driving power). Or else the Masya simply isn't for you (especially when combined with the iphone6). It sounds like you're doing your best to give them a shot though.

The one thing that I love about the graphenes is that to my ears, they sound wonderful off of all of my devices (just different levels of wonderful lol). And for me I don't need to "thicken up" their sound, so I can use donut foams to retain their clarity.
Iphone 6s is a really clean source but it doesn't emphasis energy in the treble although treble is still portrayed very well), also it does have an overly full or bloated sound (which can help some earbuds but not the Masya) and I do love energetic sounding earbuds not darker or bass emphasised ones. The masya is supposed to run well of anything and it's a 16 ohm earbud. It's clarity in vocals is incredible and it's slightly mid centric but not overly as it have great extension on both ends It performs like a TOTL in many ways, just lacking a full sound for me.

It's like listening to liquid silver rather than liquid gold as some have said xD. I'm sure I could spend money on another source but that would, for now, defeat the purpose of my use of a convient but hifi level sound. It's almost there with the masya but not quiet just yet.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,858 of 2,999
Hi. Any suggestions for a pair of cheap earbuds that are good for techno music?
You probably want a balanced earbud judging from another sites suggestion of techno headphones. Probably need to hear details too. While EMX500 is slightly U shaped, I find with thin monk foams it brings out the mids, keeps decent bass thump and bring out high notes and details more.

Use full or donut foams if you love more bass presence.

So maybe the EMX500 would be a good choice, I'll let others weigh in though! Emx500 is $12 on aliexpress I think.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,859 of 2,999
I just received NiceHCK PK2 and soundwise I like it the best of all the earbuds I have (TY Hi-Z 32 ohm, TY Hi-Z 150 ohm, Yincrow X6, Edifier H180P, MusicMaker MrZ Tomahawk).

TY Hi-Z 32 ohm is too sibilant. TY Hi-Z 150 ohm is too dark sounding but I do like it's wide soundstage in certain songs. Yincrow X6 is great but too bassy for my liking and in my opinion the bass leaks into midrange. Edifier H180 sounds somewhat too thin. MrZ Tomahawk requires amplification and even with it, I haven't got a pleasurable result using it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back