Absolute best budget earbuds?
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,816 of 2,999
i agree with you, but so far last night over the 4 hours of listening of the songs i like only 1 song came up short as it was too busy for the diy pk2. but it might just be the bad recording.

wanted to get the graphene but it was sold out (i buy directly from local dealer)
I found a pair of monk thin foams I didn't know I still had, stuck them on the PK2. Instantly more airy and bette clarity. You sacrifice abit of bass impact but you gain that clarity and space to help slightly busier tracks become listenable.

I cannot understate though how you really need to burn these earbuds in for a long time (100+ hours maybe 200) to get the most out of them. Mine are only at 50-70 hours and still improving slightly.

They won't beat something like the masya for soundstage but imo they sound better in some acoustic and rock music. Although I only have 2 hours on my masya so maybe I need to burn them in more for a fairer comparison.

I'm running the PK2 now with monk foams and through a fiio i1 on iphone 6s with some slight eq bump in lows and highs and i'm loving what I hear. It's got the most incredible energy and clarity is great now.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #1,817 of 2,999
I found a pair of monk thin foams I didn't know I still had, stuck them on the PK2. Instantly more airy and bette clarity. You sacrifice abit of bass impact but you gain that clarity and space to help slightly busier tracks become listenable.

I cannot understate though how you really need to burn these earbuds in for a long time (100+ hours maybe 200) to get the most out of them. Mine are only at 50-70 hours and still improving slightly.

They won't beat something like the masya for soundstage but imo they sound better in some acoustic and rock music. Although I only have 2 hours on my masya so maybe I need to burn them in more for a fairer comparison.

I'm running the PK2 now with monk foams and through a fiio i1 on iphone 6s with some slight eq bump in lows and highs and i'm loving what I hear. It's got the most incredible energy and clarity is great now.
nice. i am also using them with monk foams (from the ex pack)

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,818 of 2,999
nice. i am also using them with monk foams (from the ex pack)

I have searched for the thin foams to buy separately but no luck so far. The few that came with my Monk I need to keep for them. Where can I get these foams? Any links?

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,821 of 2,999
Oct 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,824 of 2,999
LOL shipping is more than the pack.

I did not notice the shipping...so far everything I have received from aliexpress has been free shipping. Some will say that I am being too picky but I want the foams in black...the red/blue will not match.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,826 of 2,999
Does the carrying pouch and earbud foams come with every version (black1, black2, black3) of NiceHCK DIY PK2? Which version are you guys using?

I have the black PK2 with the white cable coming from NiceHCK...might take a few weeks. I expect they all come with the case and foams. You could message the seller if you are uncertain.

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,827 of 2,999
I have the black PK2 with the white cable coming from NiceHCK...might take a few weeks. I expect they all come with the case and foams. You could message the seller if you are uncertain.

Thanks. Well I have to think if I get them. I do like my Yincrow X6 and BloodyPenguin wrote in his review that PK2 can be quite bright sounding, which I'm not a fan of.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,828 of 2,999
Does the carrying pouch and earbud foams come with every version (black1, black2, black3) of NiceHCK DIY PK2? Which version are you guys using?
They come with standard full and donut foams. If you want the best option you'll need tobuy heigi donut or ve monk thin foams. That's if you're picky like me about fine tuning the sound :)

They also come with a case and velco cable tie.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,829 of 2,999
Thanks. Well I have to think if I get them. I do like my Yincrow X6 and BloodyPenguin wrote in his review that PK2 can be quite bright sounding, which I'm not a fan of.
I'd like to make a distinction for you between what I consider bright and what I'd consider sparkly.

The tomahawk's are bright, the tone is bright from high mids into the high frequencies. This can be fatiguing.

The PK2's are sparkly. The tone itself is actually warm in the high mids and energetic and detailed in the high's, but IMO not tiresone.

I think if you like to hear sparkle and extension in your high's but don't want to have pierced ears the PK2 is for you.

Tomahawk's took me ages to tune with EQ and foams to tame its higher frequencies, the pk2 is good to go and can be EQ'd easily if needed.

PK2 is excellent off mobile sources by the way, my tomahawk (RIP I ruined it trying to DIY) was amazing off my desktop PC with proper EQing where bright became energetic and everything sounded exciting, off my phone they weren't as good. PK2 may not sound any better off larger sources from whatI heard, but they are great off my iphone, after 50-100 hours burn in they improved more!

Everyone's ears are different though and for some sparkle is annoying and for others bright tone is the issue, so take what I said in context to others opinions.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,830 of 2,999
mine is the black one with rose gold cable, came with carrying pouch and earbud foams (i bought from a local source who imported it via nicehck i think)

i have the rose gold cable one because i heard the white cable will turns green eventually.

i have both x6 and pk2. i would say the pk2 sounds the same as the x6 but better at both ends of the spectrum.

In TheFatRat - Fly Away feat. Anjulie, from 2.26 onwards, pk2 can hear the bass is a little bit more and the drum beats at the background better, the vocal sounds the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back