About to make my purchase on ATH-A500 or AD500
May 9, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

rox1co

Head-Fier
ok here's the deal, i want a good headphone this time around since i've had mediocre ones for gaming + music but i mainly want one for gaming

i can get the A500 at audio-cubes for like 106 shipped but i could get the AD500 for like 80 at most at buy.com with free shipping i think

i been looking at the pictures of the A500 and seems like it's made out of pleather, but i haven't had many headphones so i can't say oh it'll feel like this and that but does it generally run hott? feel hard ass hell? right now i have a sennheiser pc150 and i love that it feels soft like pillows and i forget that i'm wearing them, i definitely don't want something crushing my ears or making me sweat

the AD500 is velvet i believe and i'm sure they're pretty soft

should i cough up 106 and assured that the A500 will be great to wear and listen to?

May 9, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 30
Yes, get the A500 and don't worry too much about it. It's going to be in another league, sound and comfort-wise. It can get a bit hot after a few hours, but take a break for 10 minutes and you're good to go again.

May 9, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Yes, get the A500 and don't worry too much about it. It's going to be in another league, sound and comfort-wise. It can get a bit hot after a few hours, but take a break for 10 minutes and you're good to go again.

I second this ^^ the a500 is great for gaming and has sufficient bass to really engage yourself into almost any type of gaming... I've heard the ad series lack impact on the bass and sound too airy, but i have no experience on them...so i really can't comment on them.

May 10, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 30
the ADs (i have a pair of AD700) are airy and have a huge soundstage which would work for gaming. the bass is nice and tight but not punchy which would probably what you want for gaming. but then the big soundstage would give you a good sense of space for the FPS games. i love my ATs for movie watching and i watch a fair amount of the action stuff and never found the explosions and similar sound effects to be lacking.

May 10, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_
I second this ^^ the a500 is great for gaming and has sufficient bass to really engage yourself into almost any type of gaming... I've heard the ad series lack impact on the bass and sound too airy, but i have no experience on them...so i really can't comment on them.

I haven't listened to any of the A series, I used to have a DT770 which people have said has a very similar bass signature to the Ax00 series. A bit on the boomy side, which is great for games.

I got an AD900, and it is in fact quite airy and has a great wide soundstage, which I love for gaming. Mind you I play MMORPG games a lot more now than FPS, so it depends on what kind of games you play . I A/B'ed quake IV with my beyers and AD900 when I had them and explosions didn't have as deep as an impact. So I'd say if you FPS game a lot I'd say the closed type, A series would be what your'e looking for. Positioning would also be better.

Edit: like warrior said ^^.. it's great.. makes you feel you're in the middle of everything.

May 10, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 30
I don't think anyone ever complained about comfort of Audio-technica headphones, so don't worry about that aspect.

As for what's better for gaming... I would go with A500s for bass impact.

May 10, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
I got an AD900, and it is in fact quite airy and has a great wide soundstage, which I love for gaming. Mind you I play MMORPG games a lot more now than FPS, so it depends on what kind of games you play . I A/B'ed quake IV with my beyers and AD900 when I had them and explosions didn't have as deep as an impact. So I'd say if you FPS game a lot I'd say the closed type, A series would be what your'e looking for. Positioning would also be better.

Edit: like warrior said ^^.. it's great.. makes you feel you're in the middle of everything.

ah ok thanks for this, i didn't think about the soundstage the AD series would give due to it's airiness...

May 10, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 30
i hope, comfort is very important to me, i just stand being annoyed by my stuff
580smile.gif

if i get these headphones, what microphone do you recommend? i was looking at logitech, but i'd really like ones i could clip on if i ever wanted to

May 11, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 30
can somebody take pics of the earmuffs on the A500 (i wanna see how big it is), i couldn't really find any pictures of it

n measurements to see how big the opening for the ears are
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rox1co
can somebody take pics of the earmuffs on the A500 (i wanna see how big it is), i couldn't really find any pictures of it

n measurements to see how big the opening for the ears are
smily_headphones1.gif

Then ure not doing such a good job at searching
tongue.gif

The earmuffs are big but not HUGE.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=unamped+myth

Check it out.

PS. The cup is a bit smaller than a standard CD.

May 19, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 30
hm so i was about to make my purchase but then i saw the Audio-Technica ATH-A55 Art Headphones

what's the diff? they're both closed so that would be good for me

other than that?
580smile.gif

edit: found the answer! they're the older models
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 30
rox1co, you have accumulated 32 posts in the last few days, nearly all of which center around the A500s or AD500s. I think that anyone "in the know" about these 'phones has already answered you. I have the A500s. I find them to be excellent 'phones and easy to drive. My soundcard would do it, as would my efficient MD player, which only uses one battery. I have a pa2v2; I believe that adds some improvement. There is a whole topic about that already that's been active in the past week. Just buy the A500s at audiocubes and stop worrying, since nobody is going to bite on your rather unrealistic WTB topic in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum anyway. I really do think you'll be glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back