About to make a headphone purchase, any recommendations?
Oct 11, 2002 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sonicthewebhog

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings...

I am a relative new to all this high end audio but thankfully a very wise friend showed me the light and introduced me to the wonderful world of headphones. Im a DJ but due to unfortunate circumstances I had to sell my tables
frown.gif
and for monitoring I used a pair of V6's (unmodded). Right now what im looking for in a pair of cans is a) good soundstage, b) nice tight bass, and c) comfort. Some of the cans that I have been looking into are the Philips HP890's and the Denon AHD 950s. I've heard raving reviews about the HP890s but the Denons are where I have many questions. Does anybody out there in the Head Fi world own a pair of these? From the pics that I have seen they look *very* comfy and the specs sport an impressive 2 to 31,000 hz frequency range. I've tried the Ultrasones (once again thanks to my friend) but found the comfort to be appalling, although the sound was more than acceptable. Furthermore I have listened to the Sennheiser HD 590s, and quite frankly, liked the open headphone-type of sound more than the closed. I look forward to any suggestions that you audiophiles can offer!

P.S

I'm not going to be using these headphones for DJing, but more for listening to music (mostly Trance, rap, some jazz, some classical) and watching movies I suppose.

[end]

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 3
1) You won't find "tight" bass with the HP890.

2) The HD 590 are open.

3) Ignore the "frequency range" quoted by the manufacturer; it rarely correlates to sound quality.

4) The AHD 950 are closed.

If you do a search for Denon 950 here on Head-Fi, you'll find a few reviews of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back