About to give up on Tidal...
May 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #31 of 44
May 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #32 of 44
I did have a similar issue a bit back. Tidal told me to uninstall the app and all files related to it. Download and install the newest version. That worked for me. Now, anytime a new version comes out that's how I update. So far so good. But I use Roon now so rarely use the actual Tidal app.

May 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #33 of 44
May 24, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #35 of 44
Qobuz is nice but no Roon integration which is a dealbreaker for me personally. Hope that changes someday.

I read some where that they've been in discussions. The sticking point seems to be that they both have unusually deep content and user involvement.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #36 of 44
This is a common complaint, by some but not all Mac and Windows users, and there seems to be no clear explanation. App updates help, sometimes, but more often it appears to be Tidal's regional servers, internet backbone partners, or other stuff in the cloud. Being in an area well-served by broadband doesn't seem to matter. Tidal reps probably don't know, and probably wouldn't be allowed to tell you if they did know. All I can say is that performance here has improved since recent updates, but I don't know if that is the reason it improved, and the app still sometimes hangs between tracks.

Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but this may help somebody.

The title spells out exactly how I feel: I WANT TO LOVE TIDAL, BUT STREAMING ISSUES ARE MAKING ME ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON IT. :rage:

FYI, I have very good broadband and a new Macbook Pro. I live in Brazil, so the quote above seems to be spot on: this is probably related to the regional servers. I assume that there are not many Tidal users in this part of the world.

Happy streaming!!!

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #37 of 44
I just switched to tidal and my only complaint is the only artist's it suggests are hip hop and next to Garth Brooks specifically and country in general the genre I hate most is hip hop.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #38 of 44
Same thing here. Amazing how they cannot figure out the "artists to discover" based on the artists that you actually listen to.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #39 of 44
After three months of using the service, most recommendations I get are in close vicinity of what I listen to and I get some spot on recommendations every now and again. What's most annoying is that Tidal seems to be pushing a lot of popular music (based on your location) that I never listen to and never want to see in my stream. Still, even after improving their algorithms, Tidal is behind GPM, Apple Music, Deezer, and far, far behind Spotify.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #40 of 44
Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but this may help somebody.

The title spells out exactly how I feel: I WANT TO LOVE TIDAL, BUT STREAMING ISSUES ARE MAKING ME ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON IT. :rage:

FYI, I have very good broadband and a new Macbook Pro. I live in Brazil, so the quote above seems to be spot on: this is probably related to the regional servers. I assume that there are not many Tidal users in this part of the world.

Happy streaming!!!

I'm in California, in the heart of Silicon Valley, and the same thing happens here.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #41 of 44
I just switched to tidal and my only complaint is the only artist's it suggests are hip hop and next to Garth Brooks specifically and country in general the genre I hate most is hip hop.

Same thing here. Amazing how they cannot figure out the "artists to discover" based on the artists that you actually listen to.

After three months of using the service, most recommendations I get are in close vicinity of what I listen to and I get some spot on recommendations every now and again. What's most annoying is that Tidal seems to be pushing a lot of popular music (based on your location) that I never listen to and never want to see in my stream. Still, even after improving their algorithms, Tidal is behind GPM, Apple Music, Deezer, and far, far behind Spotify.

Tidal seems to mostly push music by friends of Jay-Z, even after it gets to know you. I much prefer the discovery section of Qobuz, and that can be filtered by genre from day one.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #42 of 44
Qobuz is nice but no Roon integration which is a dealbreaker for me personally. Hope that changes someday.

I read some where that they've been in discussions. The sticking point seems to be that they both have unusually deep content and user involvement.

ICYMI, Roon added Qobuz when the latter launched in the USA. Just adding that info here, now that this old thread has been revived. Many Roon subscribers also subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz, and allow Roon to draw from those as well as local libraries to generate playlists and recommendations.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #43 of 44
The chance I'll click on A$AP Rocky is 0

And I understand when others like it but no matter how much they try to shove it down my throat the closest I'll ever get is Rage Against the Machine lol

I have Qobuz but hi def files don't play on my Android so it's gone

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 44

Tidal seems to mostly push music by friends of Jay-Z, even after it gets to know you. I much prefer the discovery section of Qobuz, and that can be filtered by genre from day one.

ICYMI, Roon added Qobuz when the latter launched in the USA. Just adding that info here, now that this old thread has been revived. Many Roon subscribers also subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz, and allow Roon to draw from those as well as local libraries to generate playlists and recommendations.

Brilliant, thanks for the tips. I find myself going back to Spotify more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back