about to buy sony mdr 7506
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

taiwanesebrothaz

New Head-Fier
for
a. gaming at home (especially at night when everyone is sleeping)
b. gaming on my psp
c. listening to music: mostly hiphop, instrumentals, pop, light rock, rock.
d. listening to music on the go

is this phone good for these daily uses?
i've made a previous post before and people were saying they are OKAY and FLAT sounding, so the only thing holding me back is this 'flat sounding' will it affect the way i enjoy music and games at home and on the go?

(a side question: how does the regular $10 sony earbuds and $15 mdr -150 sound like?)

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiwanesebrothaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for
a. gaming at home (especially at night when everyone is sleeping)
b. gaming on my psp
c. listening to music: mostly hiphop, instrumentals, pop, light rock, rock.
d. listening to music on the go

is this phone good for these daily uses?
i've made a previous post before and people were saying they are OKAY and FLAT sounding, so the only thing holding me back is this 'flat sounding' will it affect the way i enjoy music and games at home and on the go?

(a side question: how does the regular $10 sony earbuds and $15 mdr -150 sound like?)

The regular Sony earbuds have no extension at all whatsoever at both ends of the audible frequency spectrum - severely rolled-off bass and treble, and somewhat bloated mid- to upper bass response. The Sony MDR-V150 is just plain dark- and muddy-sounding, with too much upper bass response and barely any treble or low-bass response to speak of. With few exceptions (the MDR-7506 is one of the few Sony headphones with a street price under $200 which are actually decent), the Sony headphones priced under $200 are not very good - sound-quality-wise, most are easily beaten by other brands of headphones at the same price points.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I'd say rather good. They are very dynamic sounding, have slight emphasis on bass and treble and have punch/energy. A slight minus is the coiled cable, which isn't a problem if you a bag or just large pockets. A plus is that they're very comfortable.
For that genre-preference I'd say they're good. If comfortability isn't an issue, I'd suggest trying a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 I's. I have these and have been very happy. Have yet to find a better overall portable. They squeeze slightly on your head and block external noises rather effectively.

BTW, they are no way near flat-sounding
smily_headphones1.gif
... I mean the sony's. But very engaging, far from boring with certain music, if tonal accuracy around the mid-area is not your thing..

-K

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR the V6 was better than the v506. but ive never heard them so i can't confirm this. I think they are about the same price too. Check that one out.

Actually, you were comparing the V6 to the V500 or the V600 (there is no V506).

The MDR-7506 is the exact same headphone as the V6 (not the V600), but with a gold-plated plug tip and a slightly higher street price.

Originally, the V6/7506 was made in Japan. But later models were made in China, and the current production units are now made in Thailand.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 9
R10
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 9
No, they are not flat... and no, they are not boring. I think you would enjoy them. The mdr-v6 is less money, and as others have told me, is basically identical to the mdr-7506. They are a little bright for my taste, but otherwise, extremely good headphones for the money, IMO.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiwanesebrothaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see thanks a bunch!

besides v6 and 7506 , what are other really good sony headphones? (btw has anyone tried a 7505?)

Have you considered, sony CD-900ST. It's slightly lighter and smaller. Supposedly, it is the better version of mdr-v6, But of course it cost ~$200. =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back