About to buy- first set of nice speakers
Aug 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
av123 has some issues right now - they used to make good stuff, buyer beware now

Interesting- what do you mean?
In what way(s) have they changed or what issues are they having? Can you elaborate just a bit please?

I am just about decided on a set of their ELT 525T floorstandings - I would be interested to hear any opinions - especially criticisms/downsides etc - any reasons these would be a "bad" or non-ideal choice...

Thanks again for all the help!

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 25
One more quick question -

Here is what I am planning on getting-
http://www.av123.com//index.php?page...mart&Itemid=37

The only question/concern I have:
"Is it going to be a pleasing set-up if I buy just the pair of floorstanders or do I NEED monitors + sub?"

I like the idea that I can add these later, I just want to make sure that the sound isn't going to be dissapointing w/o those.

Also, just to clarify my first post a bit - I do live in close quarters with many neighbors, but I am not worried about bothering them with volume or bass - it is a fraternity house and everybody is used to (and expecting) high noise levels pretty much 24/7. I will be AMAZED if anyone even notices the sound of my rumbling bass through the walls over the ambient chaos.
My purpose in mentioning my living arrangement in the first post was more to say that they are going to be used in a small room so I don't need the LOUDEST speakers available. I want ones with good bass that I can "feel" and I really can't afford a dedicated subwoofer at the moment. I am not ready however, to sacrifice overall SQ for good bass - it needs to be a good balance overall.

Thanks much!

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 25
If you have a tiny room and plonk floorstanders with low end response it'll sound crap, I know I made that mistake. If you have floorstanders you don't need a sub (for music) only for movies is it worthwhile.

Trust me your neighbours will complain if you have a decent subwoofer, I've had things crashing to the floor in other rooms. And it's a detached brezeblock/brick house. SVS PC Ultra 13 subwoofer.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a tiny room and plonk floorstanders with low end response it'll sound crap, I know I made that mistake. If you have floorstanders you don't need a sub (for music) only for movies is it worthwhile.

Trust me your neighbours will complain if you have a decent subwoofer, I've had things crashing to the floor in other rooms. And it's a detached brezeblock/brick house. SVS PC Ultra 13 subwoofer.

Iriver dude - so are you saying that the set mentioned above (ELT525 floors) will be good for me and that I won't need anything else? Or are you saying that putting those specific floors in a small room will sound like crap? If you think there are better options, please educate me
smily_headphones1.gif
I am not looking to buy a dedicated sub so no worries there.

Also, no exageration here, but I think you underestimate the noise levels in the frat house
very_evil_smiley.gif
There are no shelves in any bedrooms because things fell off and broke so frequently. Also, we have a very nice loudspeaker system in our basement that is thumping roughly 14 hours a day - (noon- 4am) - so my puny speakers will be the least of our worries.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 25
The point is if you buy those speakers, and they're too bassy there's not much you can do (in a Hi-Fi setup) if you had a av amp you could use a higher crossover so they're not as boomy. I can't say whether they'll be boomy or not, I'm not in your room and I don't have those speakers.

A pair of standmount speakers may be the better option.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 25
Understood- thanks for the clarification and input.
I will have a fair amount of tweaking capability due to my projected set-up, and if they are too bassy, I can deal with it for the 9 months or so that I am in the room. I would rather have too much than too litte as I think that affords me more flexibility and options in the future.

I am not buying the speakers for the room: the room's temporary, the speakers I hope to hold on to for a long time.

Anyone else know what twylight was refering to with his warnings earlier in the thread?

EDIT - one more question - as far as wiring these up - what cables are reccomended? How are these: http://www.av123.com//index.php?page...mart&Itemid=37

Anything I can get cheaper without sacrificing too much quality?

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 25
To bump an old thread. Buying speakers I expected to do last but my dad keeps trying to push speakers my way and influence me to get a mcintosh 225 amp with klipsch heresy speakers. I have a technics 1210 turntable and grado 225i's. I was planning on a diy amp next, maybe a bijou or something similar since I want tubes.

At the end of the day could a (headphone) tube amp be used to run speakers when needed?

I know using components for multiple purposes is less favorable than using seperate components each serving one purpose. Although I would like to minimize some of the equipment if they could also run a set of speakers....

Maybe my turntable to a phono pre-amp to a tube amp to headphones/speakers??

Still having trouble with all the options and opinions out there. My dad is obviously biased because he already owns two 225s (for mono or something idk) a mcintosh reciever something else mcintosh (i think one is for the radio lol) and plays them through klipsch (not sure of the models but he has had them 20+ years)
(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back