About to buy...does this setup look good?
Jul 17, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
A Sony SACD/DVD/CDP NS500V (the one Tuberoller loves)

A 120w NAD Integrated Amp (refurbished) (you can't ever have 'nough watts (
smily_headphones1.gif

Axiom M3ti Speakers.

What do you think?

Also, I am thinking of getting into building speakers. Where do I start?

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 15
Hrmmm...

So let me get this straight...

That Seven speaker can be built for $213, goes down to 25hz and can be driven to 101db on only 1wpc?

Jul 17, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 15
With lots of elbow grease... probably so. I haven't heard them but lots of people like 'em. They look like cheap but good DIY speakers.

Kit price is $212.77, but assembled is $849.95. That either represents lots of work to be done, or extra parts that must be ordered... or both.

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Czilla, sounds like you've got the start of a really good system...

I always liked the *idea* of DIY, but I need my music now...

Of course, with my SS setup getting almost to the point where I'm (probably) not going to change it for a couple of years, those Bottlehead projects look mighty interesting...

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 15
there's probably a lot of work going into that folded horn, and I'm betting all the kit comes with are the drivers and the plans.

I would say that, unless you know someone who can help you build such an enclosure (maybe dad's got lots of tools, I wouldn't know), you should start off with something simpler. a bookshelf speaker is generally small and simple, so that would be a better starting point IMO (plus you can buy a lot of prebuilt cabinets if you're building something bookshelf size, and that helps). Do you want to design something from scratch or buy a kit? Perhaps something like this would be a good place to start, or you could try something from GR Research. If you want to start from scratch then I would take a long time and do a lot of research if I were you (as I'm doing now). There is a lot to learn about loudspeakers and how to go about building a good one. I've been studying this stuff for quite a while now myself, and there's always more to learn! And then you actually have to start building stuff...

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Neruda is correct,you get the drivers,crossovers and plans.The reasoning is that either you any local cabinet maker could do the construction and keep the cost down of not only the cabinet but avoid the shipping cost as well.Does make sense.
To cut cost even more you could ask for the plans at the pi forum,shop for the best price on the drivers and purchase just the crossovers.

the Theater Four Pi looks like a great stater system

Jul 18, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 15
Well....my dad is a PHD physicist at NASA who has been mentioned on CNN, and Science magazine many times....do you think he could help me build my speakers
biggrin.gif

However he sucks at anything mechanical (they won't let him use the telescopes by himself), he can't figure out how to use a laundry machine...

But rockets, no sweat...
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 15
He he...you guessed right...my dad is a theorist, not an experimentalist...

...there is a reason why
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I was thinking of building an easy one way speaker using an aluminum tangband (the brand Neruda talks about) 2'' full-range driver in an aluminum Coca-Cola can. The properties of the can would amplify the sound. I was thinking of calling it "The Pop"

I was also thinking of putting a massive 12 inch driver in a giantic aluminum beer keg and calling it the "Super Pop".

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Surely that would sound horrific? (for want of a better word)

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000

Anyway, I was thinking of building an easy one way speaker using an aluminum tangband (the brand Neruda talks about) 2'' full-range driver in an aluminum Coca-Cola can. The properties of the can would amplify the sound. I was thinking of calling it "The Pop"

I was also thinking of putting a massive 12 inch driver in a giantic aluminum beer keg and calling it the "Super Pop".

I think Eagle_Driver already has patents on those designs. craptacular?

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000

hey, no way man! there's already a pop: http://www.adireaudio.com/misc/free_...s/the_pop!.htm
biggrin.gif

I have a feeling that one of the 3" drivers would be a better choice than the 2" (although I haven't heard any of them
frown.gif
). Then go down to a plant nursery and pick up a few miniature clay pots to use as speaker enclosures! Pair it with a nice cheap sub like the Sony SA-WM40 (only $160 if you shop around, requires a small modification to sound its best) and you'll have a decent system going. That's basically what I plan to do...

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 15
oh, and one more option might be one of the kits shown on speakerpage.com. The two that look particularly good are the K05B50 bookshelf and the K08T23 floorstander. The K05B50 you could buy fully assembled for $160 (and keep in mind that would require a sub), or you could buy the kit for $85. The floorstanders could be had for $180 in kit form, and I'd spring for the assembled crossovers too (for an extra $15). The hard part would be building the enclosures, which you can't get preassembled unfortunately.

Jul 19, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 15
one last thing (sorry, but you've touched upon something that really interests me
wink.gif
): Speaker City sells some very promising looking kits, some of which are rather cheap.

(for bookshelf kits go here)

l6.jpg

the M6.1. Fully built they'll cost cost $170 each.

l6_peerless.jpg

The L6. Fully built they'll cost you $120 each. Audioreview has some reviews of this speaker: http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Spea...2_1594crx.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back