About to buy an n95....yay or nay?
May 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
I'm extremely close to getting an n95-3 off amazon. I have read around, and it seems it would fit all of my requirements fairly well.
Should I go for it? Anyone have bad experiences with the phone? Or maybe a better alternative?
Thanks

May 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 21
The only thing I have against the N95 is that it needs charging far too frequent. I don't use the inbuilt AutoRoute feature though. I loaded up TomTom instead and use an external Bluetooth GPS unit. With a 8GB card it can take on any mp3 player hat I have tried. Camera is brilliant, but slow to cycle to the next shot. Email feature is something I couldn't live without. Browser should be updated to the Opera 9. I also have IRRemote and Call Manager installed. Fring is also there for my SKYPE use via wireless networks in range.
So all in all, it is a thumbs up from me.
Next stop is the Sony Xperia X1 when that gets released. Until then, the n95 is king.

May 1, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 21
Go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif
N95 is a nice phone, though a tad bulky.

May 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 21
Ok. So it seems the phone is good.
My last question would be.... 500 $ is a bit higher than what i usually spend on a phone. So I want to be sure I won't have to update any time soon. Are there new, better, devices coming out real soon that I should know about?
My priorities would be camera ( I don't have an actual camera yet), wifi w/internet browser, quad-band, a fairly big screen, and i would like a full keyboard, but it's not really a need ( which is why i'm considering the n95, even though it doesn't have a qwerty).
thanks

May 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 21
The N96 is coming out Q3 of this year. It's supposed to have a 5MP camera with better flash, 2.8" screen, and up to 16GB. Plus, it's prettier, and very shiny-looking (in press pictures, at least).
You might want to stick with the N95, though. I see no major "ZOMG my phone is useless now!1!!" differences between the N95 and N96.

As for other phones, you might want to look into the HTC P6300/P6500, though the cameras aren't as good as that of the N95. They do, however, have QWERTY keypads.

May 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 21
For me personally I think it's too wide and heard that battery life is terrible. That's why I went for E65, cheaper, although battery life isn't that great either.

May 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me personally I think it's too wide and heard that battery life is terrible. That's why I went for E65, cheaper, although battery life isn't that great either.

I have the N95-8GB and the battery life is ridiculously good, it really is amazing. I can go for quite a while without charging it. It has a lot of good features, and it's a phone that'll last (I've somehow managed to drop it a few times...).

However if you only want a cellphone to talk and txt message, then this might not be the best cellphone for you, unless you want to show off to your friends
wink.gif

May 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 21
yeah, i personally find that the battery of a hassle.

If you actually have a charger, then why spend 500$ on a phone... get something like an eee =P

May 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I have against the N95 is that it needs charging far too frequent. I don't use the inbuilt AutoRoute feature though. I loaded up TomTom instead and use an external Bluetooth GPS unit. With a 8GB card it can take on any mp3 player hat I have tried. Camera is brilliant, but slow to cycle to the next shot. Email feature is something I couldn't live without. Browser should be updated to the Opera 9. I also have IRRemote and Call Manager installed. Fring is also there for my SKYPE use via wireless networks in range.
Next stop is the Sony Xperia X1 when that gets released. Until then, the n95 is king.

N95-3 has pretty decent battery. Usually last about a week on a single charge...if doing alot of stuff probably around 2-3 days

May 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree about the camera, it is slow to cycle to the next shot, the video recorder is quite good though...

You can install Opera on the N95, and Fring is good but it doesn't work properly a lot of time, I wish Skype themselves would come up with a Skype app for Symbian OS...

May 2, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 21
I had just bought an N95-4 myself (which I would suggest you get over the N95-3 BTW) about two weeks ago. Prior to that I had been a diehard "QWERTY required" on phones kind of a guy and was on an E70-2, and most recently an E90, until I realized the reality was, I was hardly texting or emailing or web browsing on my phone anyways. So I decided my next phone should be a "fun" phone. And the N95 is certainly a fun phone.

I'm loving mine a lot, and the funny thing is, prior to getting one, I never took the N95 seriously and never understood why it was so expensive. But minus the QWERTY keyboard, it's a phone that's pretty much got everything but the kitchen sink thrown in it. I've been able to throw full blown movies into it encoded with XviD to 1024kbps, fit to its screen resolution, and run them at 30FPS with 128kbps audio without a hiccup. The speakers are simply the best out of any phone out there currently. It's able to capture videos quite clearly and has a solid camera. The OS is also very fast and snappy as well, which was NOT the case with the E70-2 I had. Battery life hasn't been an issue at all with the N95-4; I can go for 3-4 days with normal phone usage, or 2 days if I go nuts messing with its multimedia side. I have not had to charge it within the same day so far, which seemed like an issue with the N95-1.

I decided to pick the N95-4 over the N96 because, as somebody else said, there's nothing mindblowingly amazing that the N96 has over the N95-4. Plus it may go through a usual Nokia release phase of coming out in the European version first, before finally having a North American version a year later.

In any case, I'd say go for it...it's a phone that truly lives up to its hype IMO. You may also want to look into the N82 if the camera is really important to you, as the N82 currently has the best phone camera available I believe. Pretty much all of its other specs are very similar or the same as the N95, other than an obviously smaller screen.

May 2, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 21
I have the N95-1 by the way. Bought one in the 1st week of its official UK release. On those the battery life is terrible. But yep, the newer versions are far better on battery now.

May 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 21
Vertigo-1 :
I found it interesting that you mentioned I should get the n95-4. Almost every single site, review, article, etc. i'v read seemed to be in favor of the n-95-3. I was leaning towards the -3 only because of the price
smily_headphones1.gif
So, in your opinion, what makes the n95-4 a better phone?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back