About the Sennheiser HD 6XX and HD 58X..
May 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

galexem

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I've just purchased the ALEX CAVALLI TUBE HYBRID AMP and GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC. I have always been into audio, but never really pulled the trigger. I was looking to pair the two with the SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES, so I purchased them too.

Sometimes I feel extremely torn between them, as it sometimes seems (from what people say) the 6XX are somehow just a waaay superior headphone.

About me: I do like quite a neutral sound signature, but my "secret pleasure" is and always has been a bit of bass (definitely not muddy or overpowered, just present, if you know what I mean - to make the music sound more "alive"). Now I do understand that the HD 58X/6XX are definitely not basshead headphones and I am perfectly okay with that. But you should also know that I am not looking to analyse or monitor my music or equipment, but rather to listen to the actual music and, of course, enjoy it.
And this is where we come to my decision about purchasing the HD 58X over the HD 6XX's... from what I've read it seems like the HD 6XX headphones are a bit more "sterile", analytical and cooler sounding, while the HD58X (which are intended to be pretty much my daily driver for movies, gaming and music listening - mixed genre) are a bit warmer, have a touch more bass and are just more enjoyable and easy to listen to. I know they don't really need an amp for the most part, but I really wanted to get a setup that would be able to support maybe even some other harder to drive headphones down the line and I was hoping that the tube (I know it's a hybrid, but still) would help with the smoothness and warmth - at least a little bit. I need to mention that where I live (Slovenia) there is pretty much no way for me to test or try out headphones in some kind of store (even audiophile oriented stores) as they mostly only have more generic headphones on display. I have also never heard/tried out a tube amp, but this was my long time dream and I am glad I was able to finally get a pretty decent one! - I understand the basics of how tube amps work. So what I am trying to say is I have never heard of any other headphones apart from my long gone HD 518's and my V-Moda M100's (used to be used for DJing), so I basically had to rely on reviews on various platforms, when making this decision. I should also mention I do understand the 6XX might scale better with amps due to the higher impedance.
About the drivers: What's also gotten me worried is that the 6XX's use pretty much the same driver as the original HD 650 (basically a $500 pair of headphones), but the HD 58X use a newer driver, that is apparently NOT the same as the HD 660 S (as confirmed by Sennheiser, apparently).. and so at this point I am asking myself: is the $170 price on Massdrop right now actually worth it? What if I am actually getting a much much cheaper driver instead? - I do realise this is a funny and probably stupid thing to be worried about, but still.. I just have some doubts, which you can hopefully understand. I believe it is an interesting aspect of this situation to at least consider taking a look at.

So this brings me to the question: did I make the right choice based on what I'm looking for, because sometimes forums, videos on YT and reviews online make me feel like I should have gotten the HD 6XX instead?

I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you all in advance!

May 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 16
I forgot to mention..

Would anyone be so kind as to possibly provide me with some decent, but cheap (let's say up to aprox. $25) RCA cable recommendations.

Thanks again - really appreciate the help!

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 16
The 58Xs are a great deal, but the 6XXs are a better deal. I definitely wouldn't call the 6XXs sterile or analytical, but you're right that the 58X have more bass extension and perhaps a little more "fun" sound signature, but the 6XX are easily gonna give you more detail than the 58X, they simply have a superior driver that's more capable in my opinion. If you get the 6XX and decide you want more bass extension or something I'd say just EQ them

As for RCA cables, if Monoprice is available where you are I'd say just go with Monoprice. Expensive RCA cables are a ripoff.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 16
The 58Xs are a great deal, but the 6XXs are a better deal. I definitely wouldn't call the 6XXs sterile or analytical, but you're right that the 58X have more bass extension and perhaps a little more "fun" sound signature, but the 6XX are easily gonna give you more detail than the 58X, they simply have a superior driver that's more capable in my opinion. If you get the 6XX and decide you want more bass extension or something I'd say just EQ them

As for RCA cables, if Monoprice is available where you are I'd say just go with Monoprice. Expensive RCA cables are a ripoff.
Thanks for the answer! - I am glad I at least partly understood the differences between the two.

Yeah, I was debating this for the longest time.. in the end I decided I might be better off with a more fun sounding headphone + they are $50 cheaper, which honestly isn't totally insignificant... Though to be honest I've been doubting my decision ever since, because I don't know which one would be better for me in the long run.

Then again I have read a couple (but seriously only a few couple) posts from people that said they actually enjoy the HD 58X more than the HD 6XX's, but that they preferred the HD 6XX for more critical listening..

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 16
I see two likely scenarios

1. You get the 58X, love them out of the box and never look back or second guess your decision because they are really good headphones

2. You get the 58X, love them out of the box but constantly wonder if you made a mistake by not getting the 6XX and always wonder if they would have been better

I can't say which will happen because I think that's probably more down to your individual psychology haha. I don't think you should regret getting the 58X, the difference isn't HUGE, they're very similar headphones

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 16
I see two likely scenarios

1. You get the 58X, love them out of the box and never look back or second guess your decision because they are really good headphones

2. You get the 58X, love them out of the box but constantly wonder if you made a mistake by not getting the 6XX and always wonder if they would have been better

I can't say which will happen because I think that's probably more down to your individual psychology haha. I don't think you should regret getting the 58X, the difference isn't HUGE, they're very similar headphones
I think it might be best to just block massdro.com and sennheiser.com and youtube.com so I am not exposed to the potential of buying HD 650/6XX's hahah!

All jokes aside, I think I will enjoy them and if I ever ever find someone with a pair of HD 650/6XX's I will definitely give them a listen!

Thanks for the help @HipHopScribe - really appreciated the input.

I do hope more people decide to comment as well, as I want to know how badly/well I am going to be sleeping tonight hahaha.

May 26, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 16
About the drivers: What's also gotten me worried is that the 6XX's use pretty much the same driver as the original HD 650 (basically a $500 pair of headphones), but the HD 58X use a newer driver, that is apparently NOT the same as the HD 660 S (as confirmed by Sennheiser, apparently).. and so at this point I am asking myself: is the $170 price on Massdrop right now actually worth it? What if I am actually getting a much much cheaper driver instead? - I do realise this is a funny and probably stupid thing to be worried about, but still.. I just have some doubts, which you can hopefully understand. I believe it is an interesting aspect of this situation to at least consider taking a look at.

As far as I know it's not a totally new driver diaphragm - it's the old HD580J/600 diaphragm but with a 150ohm voice coil.

So this brings me to the question: did I make the right choice based on what I'm looking for, because sometimes forums, videos on YT and reviews online make me feel like I should have gotten the HD 6XX instead?

No. Get the HD6XX. Maybe try to order the Brainwavz angled hybrid with the mounting adapter so you won't need to gut the stock earpads. If it's not enough, sell hte HD58X and get the HD6XX; if it's not enough low end then try the Brainwavz pads on them.

I forgot to mention..

Would anyone be so kind as to possibly provide me with some decent, but cheap (let's say up to aprox. $25) RCA cable recommendations.

Thanks again - really appreciate the help!

Check Blue Jeans Cable.

May 27, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 16
No. Get the HD6XX. Maybe try to order the Brainwavz angled hybrid with the mounting adapter so you won't need to gut the stock earpads. If it's not enough, sell hte HD58X and get the HD6XX; if it's not enough low end then try the Brainwavz pads on them.
So let me get this right.. you're saying the HD 6XX is just waaaaaaaay better and worlds different and I've basically made a big mistake in buying the HD 58X?

Btw do not get me wrong, I appreciate your opinion, but just want to know if you've tested both of them, so I can get a nice point of reference.

Anyways @ProtegeManiac if you could further elaborate this statement I would appreciate it a lot!

Appreciate the reply man! Any info helps a lot.

May 27, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 16
So let me get this right.. you're saying the HD 6XX is just waaaaaaaay better and worlds different and I've basically made a big mistake in buying the HD 58X?

Btw do not get me wrong, I appreciate your opinion, but just want to know if you've tested both of them, so I can get a nice point of reference.

Anyways @ProtegeManiac if you could further elaborate this statement I would appreciate it a lot!

Appreciate the reply man! Any info helps a lot.

I'm saying based on what you want to get if it's between the HD650 and HD600 I've tried you're better off with the HD650.

I have the HD600 because I found one cheap in 2010. And it's still my reference headphone. But I have the Brainwavz angled pads on it and I have an EQ profile with a low shelf boost to everything below 70hz and a peak cut at 3500hz. It's basically an HD650. If you want to just get some bass then use a digital equalizer, if sparingly. If you hate the idea of using EQ then get the HD6XX.

Personally the main difference between them has more to do with the 3500hz peak on some HD600 drivers than the earlier roll off, so in your case you really just need to boost the low end.

May 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 16
You made an informed decision of getting the funnier version. You shouldn't ask for approval on a forum. It's your life choices, not any random dude pleasures. They are just torturing you.

Wait for your 58X, listen to them and make your own judgement. If you are not pleased with them, sell them back on the used market and try something else.

May 27, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 16
You made an informed decision of getting the funnier version. You shouldn't ask for approval on a forum. It's your life choices, not any random dude pleasures. They are just torturing you.

Wait for your 58X, listen to them and make your own judgement. If you are not pleased with them, sell them back on the used market and try something else.
Totally get that.

I, just like any other consumer with a limited amount of resources, simply wanted to make the best decision based on my flavour, but that is sometimes extreeemely hard to do, when you literary have to rely on people judging products "on your behalf" - if you know what I mean.

And the deeper I go, read various forums, watch YT videos, the more contradictory information I receive. So that is exactly why I came to this forum. To try (and hope, since this is literary THE audiophile forum) and find some information from people who actually have hands-on experience with these products - that is exactly the point of my inquiry.

So to get back at what you said: not asking for approval, not asking for "yes men", just want to see if anyone possibly checking this forum out would reply with a: "yep, had them both and I can tell you from experience - this is what they sound like", for example. So that next time I may make a more informed choice reinforced by facts & experience.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 16
I actually have a pair of HD6XX and 2 pair of HD58X. I love them all. I keep one of the 58X at my office and the other pair at a vacation place that I go on weekends. The 6XX are used at home. I drive them with a range of equipment including Schiit HEL, Magni3+/Modi3, Asgard3/4490, iFi nano iDSD BL, and a few different 70's era Receivers/Amps.

I'm actually listening to one of the HD58X now with the Asgard3 and they sound great. Honestly, while I can tell differences between them, they are both outstanding sounding phones. If I could only have one pair, I could go for either one - really. I love and enjoy them both.

While the HD6XX may be a bit more accurate and "flat" and the HD58X may have a bit more lively sound, I think you can't go wrong either way. I realize that looking toward the next upgrade is a natural/reasonable thing but worrying about making the "wrong choice" is just wasted energy. Don't regret your decision - the HD58X are incredible value and sound fantastic. In my opinion the HD6XX are not "waaaaaaaay better" than the HD58X.

May 28, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 16
While o don’t have the 58X I’ve heard quite a few of the 5 series and I think I’ll take the 6XX’s . While there is nothing wrong with the 5 series I just love the mids of the 6XX’s just my preference. While most will say the HD-800 is a very amp picky headphone I think the 6XX (650) is more so to me. While I have a Magni 3, Atom and Liquid Spark and while they all will run them fine and don’t sound bad a Bottlehead Crack is just something else with them they were made for each other . My next choice would be the Cavalli Tube Hybrid it is a fantastic little amp and does them well and also does the HE-500’s justice.

May 29, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Honestly, while I can tell differences between them, they are both outstanding sounding phones. If I could only have one pair, I could go for either one - really. I love and enjoy them both.
Thank you @dbf909 for your reply - really glad you could shed light on this topic from actual experience - means a lot!

Now THIS is exactly what I wanted to know. A nice comparison from a user who actually owns both pairs! From what it sounds like I made the correct choice based on what I wrote above and I am glad you were able to share a similar viewpoint on how they (should) compare sound wise!

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 16
While there is nothing wrong with the 5 series I just love the mids of the 6XX’s just my preference. While most will say the HD-800 is a very amp picky headphone I think the 6XX (650) is more so to me. While I have a Magni 3, Atom and Liquid Spark and while they all will run them fine and don’t sound bad a Bottlehead Crack is just something else with them they were made for each other . My next choice would be the Cavalli Tube Hybrid it is a fantastic little amp and does them well and also does the HE-500’s justice.
Yeah, this is exactly as I imagined the 6XX's as well. A headphone with a little more emphasis on mids. And because sometimes I like the mids to remain just slightly in the background and that is why I decided to go with the 58X headphone.

I purchased the Cavalli Tube Hybrid and, of course the Grace Design DAC (not the best, I know, but also really good at the price!). And I did so knowing it isn't totally necessary to drive the 58X's, but wanted to buy something that would be somewhat future proof, if I ever decided to grab a different less efficient pair of headphones.

Thanks for the reply and info - appreciate it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back