About EQ
Apr 30, 2021 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JediMa70

500+ Head-Fier
I never considered to use an EQ because I was thinking and hoping that headphones should sound but reading more it seems that to use a good EQ setting can solve few flaws. I'm really unexperienced and I've a limited knowledge (and my english..is bad..) but I love music and I love Headphones... So I would like to know how to start to try to play with some EQ setting with the headphones I have in my signature, in particular to cut the boomy sound of Meze and so on .
Which software I should use? I'm using at the moment the MusicBee one with 10 - 15 bands

thank you

May 1, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 11
oh TYVM!

May 1, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 11
I currently use the Equalizer APO's Configuration Editor without the Peace plugin. Which is not particularly intuitive or easy to use for a newbie. (Though there are some tips on using it in my signature.)

Before that though I was using a simple 10-band graphic EQ like the one you've been using. And was able to get some pretty good results with that, just going by ear.

I have also tried all of Jaakko's recommended 10-band settings for my current headphones, which are the closed-back 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT-770's. And I found most of them to be lacking in some ways. Fwiw, the ones which worked the best for these particular headphones were the ones with the highest bass and treble settings, and the lowest settings in the upper mids around 2k.

The higher bass settings may not work as well, and cause too much distortion with open-back headphones though, like your Senn HD600 and AKG K712 Pro.

All of Jaakko's settings are currently based on the Harman target, but with a 2 dB reduction in volume in the bass, which I don't like with my closed-back headphones. (Though it may still be too high in the bass for some open-backs, as I mentioned above.)

The Harman curve is also too forward in the upper mids, imo, around 2k. And too laid back in the treble. So that's why I suggest using the settings with the lowest levels at 2k (relative to the other bands), and the highest settings in the treble at 8k and 16k (again relative to the other bands).

A couple of your headphones are already pretty neutral to begin with though, and may only require some minor tweaks to improve their sound. The Senn HD600 is pretty neutral in the mids and treble, for example. But maybe a little too bright in the 2k range. And maybe just a tad too laid back at around 8k. And it might also benefit from a slight boost in the bass, mainly in the 32 and 64 Hz bands.

Distortion may occur though if you try to raise the bass too much on an open-back headphone like the HD600. Because they just don't have the necessary pressure in the lower frequencies to deliver the same impact in the sub-bass as a closed headphone, like the AKG K371, Meze 99 or V-Moda.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 11
If you are using a simple 10 or 15-band graphic EQ, without a preamp setting, btw, then you may also find that the sound will begin to clip or distort at certain frequencies if you raise any of the bands above the 0 dB or unity setting.

To get around this problem, you can start with all of the EQ bands set a few dB below the 0 dB/unity setting, and then make the adjustments up or down from there. IOW, if you start with all 10 bands set at -2 or -3 dB. Then you can either lower or raise any of the bands by a few dB, without the risk of clipping the audio at any frequency.

Here is an example of the kind of thing you might try with the Senn HD600.

FREQUENCY:CHANGE IN VOLUME:
32 Hz0 dB
64 Hz-1 dB
125 Hz-2 dB
250 Hz-2 dB
500 Hz-2 dB
1 kHz-2 dB
2 kHz-3 to -4 dB
4 kHz-2 dB
8 kHz-1 dB
16 kHz-1 to -2 dB

An EQ configuration like this will also lower the overall volume of the headphones. So you will probably have to raise the volume a bit more on your amplifier to compensate for that.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 11
If you have a preamp setting, then the above configuration might look something like this.

PREAMP SETTING: -2.0 dB

FREQUENCY:CHANGE IN VOLUME:
32 Hz+2 dB
64 Hz+1 dB
125 Hz0 dB
250 Hz0 dB
500 Hz0 dB
1 kHz0 dB
2 kHz-1 to -2 dB
4 kHz0 dB
8 kHz+1 dB
16 kHz0 dB to +1 dB

You will still probably need to make a small correction on your amp though to raise the volume up a bit, because the -2 dB preamp setting will now reduce the overall volume of your source, in order to prevent any clipping.

The net result should be identical though with either one of the above configurations.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi guys :) @JediMa70 , sounds like you and others could be interested in the free EQ utility I'm developing (see here for all the info and news).
It requires Equalizer APO to be installed, and supports HeSuVi if it's installed too (which I strongly suggest).
It's easier to use than PEACE, and it aims exactly at people like you who want to EQ all their headphones and loudspeakers and switch sound modes easily.
It provides everything you need to function, including the best parametric EQ presets currently available, for various target curves (Harman, Optimum HiFi, custom targets can be defined too).
It's currently in Beta phase, but it already works great so far and it should be released soon hopefully.
I will make a proper Head-Fi topic when everything's ready. Let me know if you could be interested ! :)

May 1, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 11
And again thanks a alot guys.. I will try to use those settings with Senn HD 600 and off course I'm going to give a try to your software Jose.
Senn sound naturally ok (although off course they can improved) but the ones I would like to improve are Meze - Vmoda and Fostek

May 1, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 11
FYI my app relies on AutoEQ database, which is the most extensive EQ preset database available today (3355 presets).
It currently provides ready-to-use presets for all your headphones except the HE-560, the Diamond and the K731. These 3 simply aren't listed on AutoEQ website. If anybody has parametric EQ presets for these headphones I'll be happy to add them to the app's database.
Also, there is an AutoEQ preset for the Fostex T50RP Mk2, not Mk3. But I suppose they are really close in sound, so you should be able to use the Mk2 preset.

I have a 99 Classics too and I see what you mean. The Harman preset greatly improves the sound, you'll see. :wink:
FYI my headphones are : Audioquest Nighthawk / Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon / Meze 99 Classics / HIFIMAN Sundara (Revised Earpads) / Sennheiser HD 600.

The app works great, I just need a little more time to finish the User Manual. If you can wait a few more days, the User Manual explains everything so you won't have to worry about anything else. I'm using my app personally with all my headphones, and I couldn't live without it now ! :D

May 1, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Not sure. But I suspect the AKG K731 in JediMa70's sig is probably the K371.

Also, AutoEQ is Jaakko's EQ project. For those who may not already know.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 11
FYI my app relies on AutoEQ database, which is the most extensive EQ preset database available today (3355 presets).
It currently provides ready-to-use presets for all your headphones except the HE-560, the Diamond and the K731. These 3 simply aren't listed on AutoEQ website. If anybody has parametric EQ presets for these headphones I'll be happy to add them to the app's database.
Also, there is an AutoEQ preset for the Fostex T50RP Mk2, not Mk3. But I suppose they are really close in sound, so you should be able to use the Mk2 preset.

I have a 99 Classics too and I see what you mean. The Harman preset greatly improves the sound, you'll see. :wink:
FYI my headphones are : Audioquest Nighthawk / Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon / Meze 99 Classics / HIFIMAN Sundara (Revised Earpads) / Sennheiser HD 600.

The app works great, I just need a little more time to finish the User Manual. If you can wait a few more days, the User Manual explains everything so you won't have to worry about anything else. I'm using my app personally with all my headphones, and I couldn't live without it now ! :D
Looking forward to checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back