Ablums? Singles? Or Custom Playlists? What do you listen to?
Mar 24, 2006 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
I've had an HD portable player for a year or so now and I like it quite a bit. I find that overall my listening preferences don't change much from when I'm on the go to when I'm at all. I seem to be an album kinda guy. If I want variety, I listen to the radio. By variety I mean random tracks.

I have been listening to Pandora a lot lately and really like the programme and the exposure to new artists. The idea that I'm listening within a genre *ideally* is really cool and I'm getting quite a lot of enjoyment out of the randomness of it all.

It would take a bit of work for me to get individual tracks I want on the iPod - difficulties would be in the realm of choosing, not technical.

How do you listen? Albums? Random? Playlists?

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

All of the above.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 27
Generally I listen by album, although periodically I will spend some time contructing a well thought out playlist, and this does tend to make me hear new things in the music. It's a great way to listen if you feel like you're getting bored with what you presently have, and the playlisting process is fun.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 27
I don't go by album so much as by flow. If the album is a unified whole and was meant to be listened to as such, then that's what I'll do. If it's a collection of unrelated songs, then it really doesn't matter. But, the point is more or less moot in my case since I'm still listening off CD in most cases.

Off a DAP, I never do playlists/random. I usually know exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 27
I usually listen by albums. I don't use playlists. Sometimes, I shuffle songs by artist.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 27
I listen at random, but sometimes I listen by genre depending on my mood.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 27
i'm now just hitting "shuffle songs" and letting random things pop up, and i'm hearing something new everyday as as result, fun. oh, and some clunkers, which i zip right past.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 27
Unless I'm specifically listening to something new, I like random play -- overall for the weird juxtapositions, as well as within genre, within artist, and (for flash players) within folder (folder established for new music, a particular mood, etc.).

On the Rio Carbon, I'll occasionally listen within a particular year or to "New Music" added within a designated period of time. On the Rio Karma, I've used such Rio DJ features as "Entertain Me."

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I've had an HD portable player for a year or so now and I like it quite a bit. I find that overall my listening preferences don't change much from when I'm on the go to when I'm at all. I seem to be an album kinda guy. If I want variety, I listen to the radio. By variety I mean random tracks.

I have been listening to Pandora a lot lately and really like the programme and the exposure to new artists. The idea that I'm listening within a genre *ideally* is really cool and I'm getting quite a lot of enjoyment out of the randomness of it all.

It would take a bit of work for me to get individual tracks I want on the iPod - difficulties would be in the realm of choosing, not technical.

Being the orderly person that I am, it certainly is albums. I sometimes like a little variety and that's where my organisation scheme for MP3 CDs falls short (I may put, say, all Madonna on one disc, with subfolders of each year the albums were published or released, and folders wthin the year-folders named after the albums). I guess this is where high-capacity HDD players can be handy.

Two of my friends just throw everything they got (thousands upon thousands of tracks) in a big XMMS, Winamp, or Foobar2000 playlist, put it in shuffle, and have it run 24/7. I don't like that method, as I have many tracks and discs which blend into one-another and would sound screwed up when listened to out of order.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 27
Thank's to iTunes and smart playlist, I'm mostly a playlist sorta person. I have around 20 different playlist. Things like 90's rock, female R&B, my favorites (broken down into genre) and so on. I have a few hand selected playlist filled with trip hop and acid jazz for when I'm in a cool sorta mood. Then I have a playlist filled with hard rock for when I feel like a bad ass.

If push comes to shover I'll put my iPod on shuffle. Sometimes I feel in the mood to listen to one artist and I'll have the iPod shuffle through say all of the Stooges songs. I hardly ever listen to an full album any more. I never really liked that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back