a700 or hd580 to complement my ms-1's
Feb 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm trying to find a good complement to my ms-1's.

a700 or hd580

i would be running these out of my laptop out of my c&c amp (same as my ms-1's) comfort will help me decide on these two. which one is more comfortable. and what are the different sound signatures of the two?

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 17
Well; now that I've got my HD600s to complement my MS2i, I have absolutely got to say: HD580s would be a perfect complement to your MS-1s!!"

....works for me; anyway!!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well; now that I've got my HD600s to complement my MS2i, I have absolutely got to say: HD580s would be a perfect complement to your MS-1s!!"

....works for me; anyway!!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

why not the a700's
smily_headphones1.gif

how would the a700's compare to the hd580's?

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Good question; I'm afraid I didn't take too close a look at the ATHs, the A700 especially, since(I think)it's a closed phone.

Probably should have looked closer though.
frown.gif

What I like about the MS2i and HD600....and I suspect the MS-1 and HD580 as well, is both phones are really good at their ends of the spectrum and have only a little overlap in the middle, but neither can be classified as a middle of the road phone. The HD600 is the clear winner in classical, and the MS2i is equally the winner on the rock side.(IMHO)

.......and it's a toss-up in the middle ground depending on mood!
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah; I'm sure that with a little looking, there are certainly a number of good cans out there to adequately complement MS-1!

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600 is the clear winner in classical, and the MS2i is equally the winner on the rock side.(IMHO)

I gotta say if there is 1 thing the HD580/600/650 cannot do it's classical, they have a tiny sound stage compared to the likes of Sony SAs and AKG 501-701s, there is no clear musical separation and lacks the delicate detail of the aforementioned.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta say if there is 1 thing the HD580/600/650 cannot do it's classical, they have a tiny sound stage compared to the likes of Sony SAs and AKG 501-701s, there is no clear musical separation and lacks the delicate detail of the aforementioned.

Thems fighting words!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
The HD580/600 is a bit more upfront then the HD650, so they're better for smaller ensembles. But my HD650s are the best headphones I've heard to date for symphonies. When you have a large soundstage, detail is not as bright. The 650s have a good treble extension that really has some great dynamics: movements in a Gyorgy Ligeti and Bernstein's 1812 Overture CD had me leaping out of my seat yesterday.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the difference between open and closed??

can someone answer that question first?

i thought open meant that closed cans don't leak noise and open ones do.

and yes i am using a C&C

your MS1s are open for example. It basically means that the back of the headphone has open holes to let the driver elements be ported (ie air can freely move around as the driver is playing). So that means that sound can leak in and out. Most audiophile headphones are open, because it's easier to get soundstage and brightness from an open headphone (close headphones can sound less airy). The DT770s and A900s are the classic closed cans (well there's the R10 if your budget is big enough). Closed headphones seem to have some recession in the mids to my ears (not hearing the R10 withstanding).

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 17
It really depends what you're looking for. The HD580s are a better deal: they were once Sennheiser's flagship headphone. IMO, they excell in accoustic, alternative, and classical. The A700s would be better at some electronica genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back