A500 vs. A900?
Mar 10, 2004 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bubbers214

100+ Head-Fier
After much debating I have decided to go with either the A500's or the A900's, because I dont have the money for an amp atm, or probably not for a while. I have tried searching for a comparison between the two and have found a few threads that have a brief mention of a comparison but not really anything helpful. So, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had both or have heard both and give me a comparison between the two. I have the money right now to get the A500's but if i decide to get the a900's i have to wait until next paycheck (not to mention they are backordered.) Thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 18
I remember I did some extensive searching for the same info almost a year ago and I came up with as little as you. I think it's due to people who get the A500 can't afford the A900 and the ones who got the A900 have no reason to get the A500. Since these headphones seems to be really hard to find for auditioning alone and not to mention side by side, it'll be tough to find someone with experience of both. Anyway I wish you better luck in your search than what I had.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I remember I did some extensive searching for the same info almost a year ago and I came up with as little as you. I think it's due to people who get the A500 can't afford the A900 and the ones who got the A900 have no reason to get the A500. Since these headphones seems to be really hard to find for auditioning alone and not to mention side by side, it'll be tough to find someone with experience of both. Anyway I wish you better luck in your search than what I had.

Did you end up getting either phones or did you end up getting some different phones? If you got either what is your opinion on what you got?

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 18
I may consider getting an A500 in a few months, because I just want to know how much the difference between these two headphones are.

TMC is completely right about his hypothesis though... since they are so hard to find to audition, most people either picked one or the other based on their budget consideration and little else.

Only reason why I would get an A500 now is for the consideration of the community in general, for people who wants to know how different they are.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbers214
Did you end up getting either phones or did you end up getting some different phones? If you got either what is your opinion on what you got?

Actually I ended up with another closed headphone that I got from the sale forum, Sony CD1700 that I have been really happy with
smily_headphones1.gif
So unfortunately I can't give you any help in this matter. If you don't mind buying used I would suggest you wait a short while and look for the A900 in the sale forum. With the amount of A900 being bought recently there is bound to be people that don't quite find them to their liking, or just want to upgrade shortly after getting them.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 18
Well I guess not many people not very much on this subject so I guess ill just have to buy one and if it doesn't suit me sell it and by the other.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by xand
Well, J-curve definitely has both. You might want to ask him?

Also - why are you getting these, and not, say, the HFI-650 or Grado SR60 or Ety or Shure?

I PM'd J-Curve so we will see what he has to say about them.

I have yet to hear of the HFI-650's can you enlighten me on those, i decided against Grados because these will be my main computer phones and comfort is a huge issue. And I don't want buds which is why im not getting Ety's or Shures, i may be getting some E2c's for my Ipod, but thats another day, after I get some nice phones for my comp.

Mar 11, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by xand
eh. grado's aren't necessarily uncomfortable?

hmm. you should audition them somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

i've been looking for places to audition, but there is nowhere here in Salt Lake city, i can find that has anyt good headphones i can audition.

Mar 11, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 18
Either way your going to be happy with the A500 or the A900. Someone just recently got the A500 and was very happy with them.

The real issue here is whether or not you want an open or closed design.

Open is going to leak a lot of noise out, and leak a lot of noise in.

Closed is not going to leak very minimal amouts of sound out, depending on volume of course, and isolate quite a bit of outside noise, depending on volume.

On the other hand the Shure/ETY is going to isolate the most. You wont hear anything with these on...Same goes for thoes around you.

The AT/Grado sound is pretty comparable in my humble opinion.
I was thinking of purchasing the Grado-SR80s for home use, but they just leak too much, fan noise was also an issue.

Besides the build quality of the Grados is not that great, compared to the Audio Technica phones at the same price level.

As for an amp, you wont need one with the AT series, they sound great without an amp. You might need an amp for optimal performance with the Grado series for the SR80, if your picky, and definetly the 125+. To me unless properly amped, the grado line sounded pretty much the same until the RS1.. (unamped)

Anyone feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong..
biggrin.gif

Sorry for any spelling errors ahead of time
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
Either way your going to be happy with the A500 or the A900. Someone just recently got the A500 and was very happy with them.

That would be me
wink.gif

I just did a write up here on the forums (search for A500s & look for my name as the topic starter) on my new ATH-A500s...here's what made my decision between the A500s or the A900s. I knew for a fact that within 6 months or so, I'd want to upgrade. So I went for the A500s now to save up for a nicer pair (W1000s or CD3000s probably) to get within 6 months. This also means I will be able to keep the A500s around as a spare since I didn't go broke buying them. I couldn't be happier w/ the A500s, and trust me, if you've never heard audiophile quality cans, the A500's will be like a dream come true...you won't have any dissapointments.

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 18
thanks for all your replies, i think im gonna go with the a500's for now, and maybe upgrade later. So thanks for all your help!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back