A500 or HD555?
Mar 7, 2006 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mpt

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones strictly for watching movies and gaming on the PC unamped. I know if I got a good set I would also likely use them for portable mp3 listening, hence why i haven't ruled out the ms-1 or SR80 yet.

For these tasks what would be better, the a500 or the HD555 (or even the AKG 81DJ), or should i really consider the Grados/Alessandros (i realize they have no soundstage).

Secondly, I live in Vancouver, does anyone know where I can pick either of these three phones up. The cheapest I've seen the A500s is 99 USD from AudioCubes with 7 bucks shipping.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Just a headsup that Audiocubes ships well to Canada and that after 4 purchases from them there has never been duty, taxes or brokerage.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mpt
Would you take the a500 or the 555, or are they equal?

I think if you're going to be playing games or watching movies in a noisy or even semi-noisy (think computer fans, roommates, etc) area then you would appreciate the closed design of the a500.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 12
well, I've been asking around the same exact question you're wondering, and frankly, I've been told that the soundstage on the A500s make them AMAZING for gaming, yet the 555's comfort is easily the better of the two. You say you want it for gaming and movies on your comp unamped? Then I would say the closed design on the A500s make it perfect, as the 555s are said to leak plenty of sound. I'm going to pick up either the 555s or the 595s myself. GL with your choice.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Downfall to leaking sound is other people can hear it and you can hear things around you. Everything else about it is usually a benefit though.

Personally, I find the HD555's have a much more thorough midrange compared to the a500's. In some respects the the a500's could have a little better bass or treble than the HD555's which make things more fun for rock or rap. But with properly produced recordings the a500's sound hollow because of the lesser midrange. The 555's appear to me to be much more well rounded out headphone and better for things that are produced better, like electronica, some rock, classical.

Then the other thing about the a500's and probably the sole reason I won't buy another pair of ATH's is, outside of Japan, they don't have a warranty. The ATH series is not meant to be sold outside of Japan and audio technica does not support people outside of Japan who bought them.

Then the pads on my a500's started to become horribly worn out after about 700-1000 hours and new pads are $60. Which with the 555's, since they are open, you won't need to worry about worn pads leaking sound and plus, since you don't have to import them, you can get new sennheiser pads for around $15-$20 if ever do need them.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeptemberWasp
Just a headsup that Audiocubes ships well to Canada and that after 4 purchases from them there has never been duty, taxes or brokerage.

that was information i needed to know a week ago!!

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody
Then the other thing about the a500's and probably the sole reason I won't buy another pair of ATH's is, outside of Japan, they don't have a warranty. The ATH series is not meant to be sold outside of Japan and audio technica does not support people outside of Japan who bought them.

Then the pads on my a500's started to become horribly worn out after about 700-1000 hours and new pads are $60. Which with the 555's, since they are open, you won't need to worry about worn pads leaking sound and plus, since you don't have to import them, you can get new sennheiser pads for around $15-$20 if ever do need them.

anyone else had this problem with the worn down pads? i'm REALLY leaning towards the a900's for my gaming needs, but pretty worried about the pads getting sticky OR them just getting worn out and me being screwed.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 12
You'll find that watching movies with headphones - that bass-y phones come off as the winner. Games? Bass, and positioning (FTS), and some isolation are primary considerations - ergo given your question re those two headphones - take the A500's. I had them and opted to move on to Darth Beyers.......if a pair of those had not become available (besides some musical fun with them, sometimes) the next choice might have been A900.......if at all - for those two purposes. If the question was to choose primarily for movies, then I'd say k240S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back