A151+PA2v2 or just CC51?
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

thisisSSK

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a noobie who is looking into getting into higher quality earphones. I want something "warm", easy to listen to, and clear. I had a pair of analytical earphones before but never could enjoy them. After some research, I'm looking at the MEE A151 and the NuForce NE-700X (I'll consider any other recommendation with a similar price range). Which one of these do you think will be best for me unamped? Also, if by any chance I decided to get a portable Headphone Amp, would you recommend the Fiio E11 or the Nuforce Icon Mobile? Thanks for helping a newcomer out! Please let me know if I'm being too vauge xD

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 31

Quote:
Hi, I'm a noobie who is looking into getting into higher quality earphones. I want something "warm", easy to listen to, and clear. I had a pair of analytical earphones before but never could enjoy them. After some research, I'm looking at the MEE A151 and the NuForce NE-700X (I'll consider any other recommendation with a similar price range). Which one of these do you think will be best for me unamped? Also, if by any chance I decided to get a portable Headphone Amp, would you recommend the Fiio E11 or the Nuforce Icon Mobile? Thanks for helping a newcomer out! Please let me know if I'm being too vauge xD

Neither of these headphones really need an amp and were designed for mobile use.  The MEE A151 are more warm while the NE-700s have more of a boomy sound to them (while still being a little warm).  If you want more detail, get the A151.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
Neither of these headphones really need an amp and were designed for mobile use.  The MEE A151 are more warm while the NE-700s have more of a boomy sound to them (while still being a little warm).  If you want more detail, get the A151.

Okay I'm leaning towards the A151 now, especially with the Newegg deal! One more question: If did get an amp for future earphones/headphones, what would you recommend that's affordable and portable?

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 31
I own the NE-700Xs and listen with them almost every day. They are a very nice pair of earphones, but they're not for pure unadulterated detail. The bass is a little less tight and more boomy, though with excellent impact and "feel", and the treble is a bit grainy and recessed. These issues are only mild, and for a fun 'thumping' kind of earbud, I haven't heard better in the pricerange. Certainly far better than anything Monster or Skullcandy can produce for the price. But if you want a little more detail and clarity, and don't mind sacrificing some bass thump, I would get the A151s.

As far as amps go, a FiiO E5 or an eBay CMOY amp would be a good place to start. Biosciencegeek (his ebay handle) makes excellent equipment for around $50, and custom tailors it to your desires, and it's superior to an E5 (and even an E7 in my experience).

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 31
Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question, but does "warmness" lead to a decrease in clarity? Also, can it be "detailed and clear" but also warm and fun to listen to? I'm asking because I feel like I had such a un-WOW experience with phones that specialized in clarity and detail.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 31
From what I've heard, the MEE CC51/CC51Ps have this type of signature.  Don't quote me on it though.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
From what I've heard, the MEE CC51/CC51Ps have this type of signature.  Don't quote me on it though.

I think the CC51 would be better for OP then A151.  It still has a lot of great detail but a more full bodied bass as it is a dynamic driver vs. BA.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 31
I'm a little worried about the quality of the CC51... I noticed you cut the cord with a shirt clip, which cant mean that the cord is great quality. 
Also, I'm almost certain that I'll get the PA2V2Which/what iem would be great/better with this amp? I'm very confused now on whether to get the cc51 or the A151 or something else entirely haha

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 31

I liked the cord quality on both of those IEM's, the clip is the problem with the iem and not the cord.  Going forward from that experience I have always just pried the shirt clip apart to get it off the cord. The PA2V2 is a great amp, although either the A151 or CC51 don't benefit from an amp, they will get louder obviously, they are sensitive with a low impedance.  They are both great straight out of a dap and plenty loud.  The RE0 benefits from amping.
Quote:
I'm a little worried about the quality of the CC51... I noticed you cut the cord with a shirt clip, which cant mean that the cord is great quality. 
Also, I'm almost certain that I'll get the PA2V2Which/what iem would be great/better with this amp? I'm very confused now on whether to get the cc51 or the A151 or something else entirely haha

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 31

Ah I see. About the RE0: isn't it considered lacking in bass? Can it still be warm and lack bass? What other iems are good with amps?
Quote:
I liked the cord quality on both of those IEM's, the clip is the problem with the iem and not the cord.  Going forward from that experience I have always just pried the shirt clip apart to get it off the cord. The PA2V2 is a great amp, although either the A151 or CC51 don't benefit from an amp, they will get louder obviously, they are sensitive with a low impedance.  They are both great straight out of a dap and plenty loud.  The RE0 benefits from amping.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:

Hey, trust me when i and others say that a portable amp will not improve the sound of these (and arguably, most) iems at all, as the guy above me said, it will just make them louder, which is just bad for your ears, honestly...these things are right next to your eardrums, after all. save your money and possibly buy a more expensive IEM

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 31
<3 your profile pic btw

I just want to have the same quality of sound I hear at louder volumes at lower volumes so that, as you said, I don't damage my ears. Or is that not what headphone amps do?

Quote:
Hey, trust me when i and others say that a portable amp will not improve the sound of these (and arguably, most) iems at all, as the guy above me said, it will just make them louder, which is just bad for your ears, honestly...these things are right next to your eardrums, after all. save your money and possibly buy a more expensive IEM

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 31
Some more good advice i've been given and can pass onto you - start low in the headphone market, and try as many sounds/headphones you can to find what you like so you know what you are looking for once you want to buy higher end phones. The a151 being under 50 sounds like a great option, i might be buying some as well. they are pretty well regarded for their price range, and are the cheapest balanced armature IEMs to boot. Check out the IEM shootout thread on the site to see some oter great options in the cheap area if you want.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 31
The previous earphones that I was so unimpressed with is the audeo phonaks... I thought that they were really "cold" and, although very detailed, were ultimately boring and not very special imo. Looking at that Multi-IEM review thread just gives me so many more alternatives, making the choice so much harder... I'd love to try a lot of them, but I'm a student so I want to make one right decision. The FA Silver Bullet sounds really good too... I CANT MAKE A DECISION

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 31
I feel you on that, it gets overwhelming. Ultimately you gotta make the call but again ill try and help - just keep your budget low, and maybe try to buy through a seller that has a 30 day return policy, and if you don't like ur purchase, you can return it. good luck man dont stress too much over it, just read a lot and pull the trigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back