A very interesting presentation at AES
Jan 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I mostly agree with what's being said, but who doesn't?

Hehe, trying to be funny eh?
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, trying to be funny eh?
jecklinsmile.gif

Please note that I'm the proud owner of overpriced cables
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #34 of 42
Great lengthy vid! Will have to finish the rest later though. If you haven't taken a cognitive processes class or have done some reading, I would encourage anyone to dive in! Quite interesting stuff!

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 42
"Double-blind tests are the gold standard in every field of science'

Correct.

However, only if you isolate very single factor except that, which people don't do, therefore makes most ABX testing audio wise invalid.
ABX testing is great only if you isolate those factors. e.g. the headphones must be at the same position on your head every single time, you must in the same position away from the loudspeaker in distance every single time etc.....

This is why scientifically valid ABX testing in audio much harder than in other sciences, which the vid doesn't address directly. Otherwise, the vid's fantastic.

I firmly believe in the theory of ABX however the way it's conducted by most people makes it scientifically invalid.

Anyway, 13-14 bit audio is where it starts to get :S for me. 16-24 bits = zero difference.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #38 of 42
Thanks, excellent, pragmatic, it makes a lot of sense. (feel the fresh air). Everyone commenting on a Head Fi forum should be forced to watch the first 10minutes at least!

After watching this I can't help asking myself the question, with all the BS and 'pseudo science' around audio;

just how much does it cost to build a decent Hi Fi system?

I'm thinking, if you get your speakers to integrate with the room correctly, not too much!

OK I don't want to go off thread I'll start a new post.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone commenting on a Head Fi forum should be forced to watch the first 10minutes at least!

Make that the whole thing! Watch it first, and then think about whether you want to post about the audible jitter differences you hear in coaxial vs. optical cables...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back