A very interesting presentation at AES
Jan 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 42
Thanks.

edit: interesting indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 42
The first myth to die is that YouTube videos can only be a maximum of about 10 minutes long. The video is almost an hour long. Yikes (how'd they manage to do that). I'll have to plan some time for it.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 42
What's the auditory illusionatory bit with "legislature" vs. "legislatures"? I'm not sure what's going on there and why.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 42
Either he mis-speaks or they removed the s and added the cough which masks the "s" that isn't even there.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first myth to die is that YouTube videos can only be a maximum of about 10 minutes long. The video is almost an hour long. Yikes (how'd they manage to do that). I'll have to plan some time for it.

Youtube disables that restriction for certain accounts.

Kind of surprised I just sat through that whole thing at once, wasn't really planning on spending an hour that way. Pretty interesting stuff, although I didn't understand some of it.

I'm somewhat curious as to why headphones weren't addressed when talking about how sound from loudspeakers can be affected by reflections and the exact position of your head, etc.

I thought the illusion was that we don't really hear the 's' as the cough covers it up, but our brain inserts it anyway.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 42
That was really cool, had a good time watching that, didnt expect to watch it all at once either i wish we coulda seen more of the live footage from the conference, that was really funny stuff....and that chick was pretty cute huh?
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 42
Poppy (for it was she) was indeed pretty cute, and her "Stairway to Heaven" demo was both fun and illuminating.

The whole thing was very well presented, with interesting examples. I downloaded the file so I could play again. It's over 400 MB, so users with slow broadband beware.

Having praised the presentation, it hasn't quite made me change sides yet (from believer to sceptic). The arguments weren’t new and, despite lots of details, they didn't truly explain away the observations I've made over the years.

But that doesn’t stop me recommending that members of all persuasions should check it out. It never harms to be better informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back