A versatile, inexpensive amp with BIG bass + bouncy sound?
Jun 16, 2004 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Any suggestions. Needs to be $400 or under preferably, solid state would also probably be preferred, but I am not adverse to a valve amp as long as it isnt too expensive, or needy, or have expensive valves that need replacing often. Something that can drive any headphone cleanly regardless of impedance.

Headphones at the moment are the Beyer DT531. The Perreaux wont be around here much longer since I have sold it, as I have found it not really to my tastes - too smooth and laid back.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it must be able to drive my Beyer DT531's to VERY loud levels for movies and whatnot...

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 42
The PPX3 is quite a fun amp, and it's going for under $500 so its slightly over your budget. It has great bass response and is very enjoyable to listen to. The 6CG7 tubes it uses aren't very expensive (easy to find new production ones for $11 each) and are quite durable. The amp is also able to drive anything from Grados to high-impedence Senns.

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 42
Used Emmerline XP-7.

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Any suggestions. Needs to be $400 or under preferably, solid state would also probably be preferred, but I am not adverse to a valve amp as long as it isnt too expensive, or needy, or have expensive valves that need replacing often. Something that can drive any headphone cleanly regardless of impedance.

Headphones at the moment are the Beyer DT531. The Perreaux wont be around here much longer since I have sold it, as I have found it not really to my tastes - too smooth and laid back.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it must be able to drive my Beyer DT531's to VERY loud levels for movies and whatnot...

I am entering another vote for the ppx3. From reading your signature musical enjoyment is first and foremost. The ppx3 is the essence of musical and fun. At this point I have owned or auditioned most of the top amps and there have only been two amps I would take over the ppx3.
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 42
Indeed, PPX3 is a good choice. Its not only ultra smooth, yet punchy. If you are looking for solid-state amp, try Corda HA-1 MKII or used Gilmore V1.

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
At this point I have owned or auditioned most of the top amps and there have only been two amps I would take over the ppx3.
eek.gif

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I know one is Supra. What about the other one?

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 42
My vote is for the xp-7. Very nice sounding amp with my HD650. I have to admit that I am biased as I may be selling my xp-7, if I receive and like the Eddie Current HD300 better. Having said that I have kept the xp-7 after comparing to LaRocco PR and Perreaux.

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I know one is Supra. What about the other one?

The prototype you auditioned with the tube rectified power supply is the other, unless your referring to the prototype as the Supra. The other Supra is Tom Hankins Singlepower Supra SDS.

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 42
Is the PPX3 a relatively forgiving amp? I dont want an amp that is ruthless and shows me every little fault, but I do want an amp that is friendly, and BANGIN!!

Also, where can I get a PPX3?

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Is the PPX3 a relatively forgiving amp? I dont want an amp that is ruthless and shows me every little fault, but I do want an amp that is friendly, and BANGIN!!

Also, where can I get a PPX3?

Yes it is forgiving. I would skip the solen stage 1 upgrade and go completely stock for the warmest and most forgiving signature. If you desire a little more neutrality and treble extension then consider the solen upgrade.

www.6sn7.com for info

www.sales@singlepower to contact them

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 42
I see that it would cost about £275 UKP to ship a PPX3. Thats more than I ideally wanted to spend, however, if it really is that good then I guess I will cough up the cash.

Only problem is I dare say if I went that route, it'll have me wishing I kept the CD3000's
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

I see that it would cost about £275 UKP to ship a PPX3. Thats more than I ideally wanted to spend, however, if it really is that good then I guess I will cough up the cash.

Only problem is I dare say if I went that route, it'll have me wishing I kept the CD3000's
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

The headphone that sounds best with the singlepower amps in general(to me) is the senn hd 600/650, but I am turned off by the cd3000's treble. Read go_vtec's review of the asl otl 32 /ppx3/ supra 6cg7 prototype as he was quite pleased with the ppx3/ cd3000 combo.The Eddie Current amps(hd 300/ hd 25) could be quite good too. I have one coming soon if you arent going to order something immediately. So I could give you some feedback on that one too. The hd 300 is an otl design for high imp phones while the hd 25 is transformer coupled to drive any impedence. These amps have only 2 tubes and can be retubed inxpensively as long as you dont get a rare and expensive 6sn7.

www.eddiecurrent.com

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 42
Woo Audio 1 fits your requirements. I have one now and it is uber awesome for the price.

Around $350.00 gets you a nice headphone amp with a lot of tuberolling potential although the stock sound is already very bassy and nice.

Cheers!

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 42
So would I be right in assuming you guys believe that tube amplifiers are the way to go to add flavour to the digital sound, add a bit of punch and welly and make it less analytical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back