A/V stand/rack suggestions
Nov 25, 2008 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mister Crash

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I've reached the capacity of my old A/V stand. I'm expecting delivery of a larger amplifier within the next week or so, and it will not fit in my current stand. I need a new rack, and I have been tearing my hair out trying to find something that will meet all of my particular needs. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Modular construction is wildly preferred. I move a lot, and having something that I can break down and set back up would help out a lot. It also makes it easier to get it up the stairs if I can do it in pieces.

- Shelves need to be at least 18" deep. My CD player and amplifier need that much depth. Both of those are around 60 pounds, so the shelves must be sturdy as well.

- Open construction is an absolute must. I want to diffuse as much heat as possible. Enclosed cabinets are totally out.

- I keep my TV on top of my stand, and given the dimensions of my room (there is a sloping ceiling), I'm limited in height to about 30" or so. The total width can go up to 6 feet, but needs to be at least 40 inches.

- Isolation would be great as well.

- Budget is US$1,500 or less.

- I don't have any DIY skills or equipment, so that is not an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions for racks like this?

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 13
I recommend the Salamander Synergy rack system. I have the Synergy Twin 30 in my system.

htsetup2.jpg

Here's a link to the product website:

Salamander Synergy Products

The construction of the rack is extremely modular with high quality materials. The metal posts are thick metal with an annodized finish. The shelves are thick MDF with the top and bottom plates of the rack appearing to be made of solid wood.

The shelves can hold up to 150 lbs. The top and bottom plates can hold more. I have on the bottom plate a little over 160 lbs of equipment directly placed on it. I probably have about another 160 lbs of equipment spread across the various shelves and top plate.

Depending on how you option it out, you can very well have a nicely pieced together rack setup for under $1500.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Why not build yourself a FleXy rack? Theyre very easy to build and provide isolation between the shelves. I laugh because many of the hifi shops around here charge $400+ for them, while you can go to Home Depot and buy all the materials for under $50. You can build them to suit your needs very easily. The price greatly depends on the materials. You can use MDF, wood, acrylic, or marble for the shelves. So many possibilities. Wood or MDF will set you back ~$50, while acrylic or marble will put the price above $200. I know you said you dont have the means to DIY, but Home Depot can cut and drill the wood for you, all you need is a wrench to put it together.

TNT FleXy Rack

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 13
I've seen the FleXy racks before, and I've considered them, but I just don't think I'm up for that project. For one thing, given the number of components I have (CD player, integrated amp, headphone amp, power center, switch, TV, cable box, three video game systems, BAM, voltage converter), I would basically need to build three of them (or one really huge one). I would also need to find some way to get the holes drilled for the legs, which I don't have the means to do. I've thought about it, and I realize that I'm not cut out for that kind of project.

The Spider rack looks interesting, but I couldn't find any prices for it. It reminds me of Solid-Tech's Rack of Silence, which is the unit that I would love to have if it wasn't so expensive:
Svalander Audio AB, Solid Tech Rack of Silence

The Boltz furniture looks interesting. I'll have to find my measurements to see if all of my equipment could fit into one of their units.

When I tried looking at the Salamander Synergy series, I only saw enclosed cabinets. Are there other items in that line that aren't enclosed?

Thanks for the help so far. If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not build yourself a FleXy rack? Theyre very easy to build and provide isolation between the shelves. I laugh because many of the hifi shops around here charge $400+ for them, while you can go to Home Depot and buy all the materials for under $50. You can build them to suit your needs very easily. The price greatly depends on the materials. You can use MDF, wood, acrylic, or marble for the shelves. So many possibilities. Wood or MDF will set you back ~$50, while acrylic or marble will put the price above $200. I know you said you dont have the means to DIY, but Home Depot can cut and drill the wood for you, all you need is a wrench to put it together.

TNT FleXy Rack

You know I had been looking for something like this for a while. Was not looking forward to spending so much money on something. This looks like a winner to me. Thanks for the info.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Nov 26, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen the FleXy racks before, and I've considered them, but I just don't think I'm up for that project. For one thing, given the number of components I have (CD player, integrated amp, headphone amp, power center, switch, TV, cable box, three video game systems, BAM, voltage converter), I would basically need to build three of them (or one really huge one). I would also need to find some way to get the holes drilled for the legs, which I don't have the means to do. I've thought about it, and I realize that I'm not cut out for that kind of project.

The Spider rack looks interesting, but I couldn't find any prices for it. It reminds me of Solid-Tech's Rack of Silence, which is the unit that I would love to have if it wasn't so expensive:
Svalander Audio AB, Solid Tech Rack of Silence

The Boltz furniture looks interesting. I'll have to find my measurements to see if all of my equipment could fit into one of their units.

When I tried looking at the Salamander Synergy series, I only saw enclosed cabinets. Are there other items in that line that aren't enclosed?

Thanks for the help so far. If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

If you look at the picture of my rack, you'll notice no side or rear panels. The side panels are actually an option you have to pay for. The rear panels come standard with the setup. But you can choose not to install them like I did.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 13
I'll second Racks and Stands. I've ordered from them a few times and never had a problem.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 13
zx10guy: OK. I thought that maybe Salamander had redesigned the series from open racks to enclosed ones, but that makes sense too.

SundayDuffer: I've seen the Adona racks as well, but given the number of components I have, it would end up costing US$2,000 or more.

I did come across a couple other sites that have a large selection of furniture. One is Dynamic Home Decor:
TV Stands, Home Theater Furniture, Audio Racks, Entertainment Centers

It also looks like MusicDirect is offering substantial savings on some of their SolidSteel racks through December 31st:
Import and Domestic Vinyl, SACD, DVD Audio, Audiophile Hardware - musicdirect - (800) 449-8333

Users who are viewing this thread

Back