A thread for the supermicro 4...??
Jan 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone using this little monster? How do you like it? The good / bad / ugly? Lay it all out!!

How long does it run on a standard AAA NIMH?
Does it perform any better with a 1.5V alkaline, as compared to a 1.2V rechargeable?
Hows the noise / hiss with low impedence, high sensitivity cans?

Is there anything a pimeta, govibeII or cmoy does that the Micro can not?

I tend to prefer a warm/somewhat bassy, yet detailed kind of sound. I prefer the sound of an OPA2107, over an OPA2227 for example. Does the supermicro fit this description?

I'm thinking about selling all my portables to fund this purchase. Should I or shouldn't I?

Lastly... Any comments/personal experiences you can give regarding the Xin ordering procedure? keep it civil though and to the point if at all possible. feel free to PM me as well!!

Thanks!!
Garrett

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 27
I've ordered a black SuperMicro IV today (first portable amp purchase). Was planning getting a RSA Tomahawk, but portability is important to me. Even though a Tomahawk combined with a Nano is around the same size as a HD-based DAP, I'm after something that's more pocketable.

Placing the order on dr Xin's site (www.fixup.net) was pretty straightforward. Got email notifications confirming my order.

Now I just gotta be patient, and look longingly at ALO lods...

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 27
if you can make it till march, I'd love to give you my opinions, from someone who used to own the supermini iv. i sent back for a micro in november, don't expect it back too soon
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered a black SuperMicro IV today (first portable amp purchase). Was planning getting a RSA Tomahawk, but portability is important to me...

if portability is the overriding factor, then you should've gone for the tomahawk which is built to last years...

xin's supermicro has two major negatives:
1) terribly weak battery contact-will break off if you're not gentle with them.
2) case is one drop or accidental sit-on away from damaging the tiny/fragile
circuitry.

big positive is that it's the smallest there is and it sounds very good.

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if portability is the overriding factor, then you should've gone for the tomahawk which is built to last years...

xin's supermicro has two major negatives:
1) terribly weak battery contact-will break off if you're not gentle with them.
2) case is one drop or accidental sit-on away from damaging the tiny/fragile
circuitry.

big positive is that it's the smallest there is and it sounds very good.

I would probably mod it into a small durable enclosure with a more robust battery attachment, although I'm very careful with my stuff.
Yeah I cant believe what I am reading... in that mrarroyo / Vorlon1 review thread.

Do you guys think there will be one for sale at the big meet in April?

????

thanks,
Garrett

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you can make it till march, I'd love to give you my opinions, from someone who used to own the supermini iv. i sent back for a micro in november, don't expect it back too soon
wink.gif

I'm wondering why you're switching to a Micro ??

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 27
I've had a supermicro III for a year, with absolutely no problems with the case (I use a clear poly band around it), nor with the battery contacts.

For anyone who wants some cheap insurance regarding the case... Xin sells extra cases for a massive $9.99 each... get a few and you're set for life < s >

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 27
would dispute the weak battery terminal claim. Had a SM III V6 and now own the Supermacro IV--Xin has improved battery terminals tremendously in both these units over the past year. Love mine and this after owning Portaphile, the SM III V6 and Airhead. And my rechargeable batteries last forever on one charge.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 27
tnmike - do the supermacro iv and supermicro iv share the same battery contacts?

I posted a thread on xin's forums about the durability of the supermicro.
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2156

One SuperMicro owner seems to find the SuperMicro fine - it's no tank, but with care, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Like Kramer5150, I'm pretty careful with my stuff. I've requested a spare case nonetheless just to be on the safe side.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tnmike - do the supermacro iv and supermicro iv share the same battery contacts?

I posted a thread on xin's forums about the durability of the supermicro.
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2156

One SuperMicro owner seems to find the SuperMicro fine - it's no tank, but with care, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Like Kramer5150, I'm pretty careful with my stuff. I've requested a spare case nonetheless just to be on the safe side.

no, the supermacro 4 and supermicro 4 do not share the same battery contacts...

the supermicro is not just fine, but a very fine little amp...one of the cheapest and best sounding portable amp in any class...

i mentioned the shortcomings of the unit because you mentioned that portability was your primary factor in wanting to carry it in your pocket...yikes!

enjoy and don't fret about the negatives because the positive overwhelmingly out weights it...

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, the supermacro 4 and supermicro 4 do not share the same battery contacts...

the supermicro is not just fine, but a very fine little amp...one of the cheapest and best sounding portable amp in any class...

i mentioned the shortcomings of the unit because you mentioned that portability was your primary factor in wanting to carry it in your pocket...yikes!

enjoy and don't fret about the negatives because the positive overwhelmingly out weights it...

I kind of made an impulse buy based on what I'd heard about the SQ and form factor. Thanks Takezo for bringing the negatives into consideration. I never carry electronics in my back pocket, so I should never find myself sitting on it.

Kramer5150 - if you decide to take the plunge, just be aware that it will take a while before you get it. Other head-fiers who've ordered Xin amps back in the beginning of October have just been shipped / received (~3 months).

Got another question - several users have mentioned polybands. Does this mean the enclosure for the amp does not remain closed without a elastic band / polyband of some sort? [Edit] seems the case is held together by friction between top and bottom halves. Explains the need for bands.[/Edit]

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 27
Some pictures and impressions of the SuperMicro by other head-fiers:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215945
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192145
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ro#post2295524

Loose battery contacts is another issue - which is easily fixable by using something to thin to leverage the battery contact.

Sensitivity of volume is another. I've sent Dr Xin an email asking if the gain on the SuperMicro can be modified. I assume if I want greater degree of control over the volume at the cost of reduced output, I want the gain lowered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back