a tale of two pcdp's
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Magnum22

100+ Head-Fier
Today i went to circuit city and put down $40 for a psyc (d-ne320). sound's all right with eq, but distorts at higher volumes. this sound normal to anyone? does a pcdp need burn in? i have an old aiwa xp-r220 which sounds great, never distorts, and has defeatable EQ but i was fearing at five years old it's gettin feeble for carry. i thought this because i hear it torque when i press play. turns out the new sony makes a similar sound when you press play, but i'm guessin that's normal.

so, to sit on it and see if it gets better or just return it? i don't even know if circuit city will take it back. their return policy good? i don't like this stupid remote either.

all cuz i left my ipod charger in new brunswick....

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 9
my vintage PCDPs make all kinds of grinding and churning noises when waking up from a deep sleep (like their owner
biggrin.gif
). But after 10+ years thats kind of to be expected.

Garrett

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 9
you carry them out?

I can hear the cd scrapin the lid when i turn it over. that lid doesn't pop open with authority anymore either. I wanted to get a new aiwa, but don't see those anywhere anymore. i think the new ones retain the same harware as the old models.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum22
you carry them out?

I can hear the cd scrapin the lid when i turn it over. that lid doesn't pop open with authority anymore either. I wanted to get a new aiwa, but don't see those anywhere anymore. i think the new ones retain the same harware as the old models.

No way!! I have a creative MP3 player that I amp with a pimeta or mint... depending on how much portability I need.

Garrett

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 9
that reminds me, what is the difference between all those tiny creative players?!?! zen micro, muvo, tons of tiny little things, what's the deal? then there's iriver n iaudio, who also have a ton. my idea today was to get a g3 but saw the cd players ad figured that was more justifiable. there a difference between g3 and u3 besides video? same audio? this is not the focus of this thread.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 9
I have this sony cd player, its the best cd player I've ever owned, and I've owned many many pcdp. I like the EQ too, and I do know about the distortion and very high volumes. As far as I know there is no breaking in, as I've owned them for a year and to me breaking in a cd player doesnt make sense. Anyways, the headphone output of this player is 5mW, while their new 2006 model is 15mW output, but as far as I can tell everything else is the same except cosmetic changes, and a couple more hours added to mp3 playback. Its the d-ne330 btw, and will run $59.99 retail I believe which is why the d-ne320 is probably only $40, I bought my 320 for $59.99 a year ago and never regreted it. All I can say is, definately dont turn the volume up all the way (I never had to, unless I want to hurt my hearing) and keep the clearbass at 2 or less. I never use 3, but if I were it would be at very low volume, like half the bar. I use 2 with 3/4 of the bar with no problems at all, if I want to go past 3/4 I have to go to 1. And mess around with the EQ, use your own custom settings, personally I boosted the treble, and mids 1 notch. And invest in an ac adapter, that will probably help in home use if you use it at home.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum22
my xp-r220 is 12mW output. i'm guessin that's a lotta headroom by today's pcdp standards. takin this thing back.

The only way you should get distortion is if you're using a cheap set of cans or the cheap earbuds that come with it at really high volume. Otherwise, you got a lemon.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi
I own a similar 420 model (new crappy sony I put in my pocket) for work around the house and what not, and BE CAREFUL with the battery door, it wants to come open during play partly, since cheap. And when it does, sometimes the scraping noise is the outer rim of the cd that is grinding up agaginst the edge/corner of the batt compartment that came loose. The first time this happened I attributed user error, the next time it happened, was sure that the batt compartment was secure, but it happened again. (to a CSN 24 kt gold cd DOH!!)
anyway, may be this to watch out for too, if not now in the future!!
Hope this helps
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back