A summary of recently recommended new arrivals, and March sales at SHENZHENAUDIO!
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
There is an old saying in China that gold in March and silver in April (the promising season). Recently, Chinese brands were about to release their new gears catching this end! Let's see what products they bring are worth looking forward to!

SMSL DA-9 ---Power Amplifier
4.jpg

2.jpg

DA-9 landed today at a budget price of US$249.99, SMSL almost didn't disclose much information about it till its launching. It adopts a balanced design and supports Bluetooth 5.0.

More its features or specs as follows:
Features:
Balanced Design, From input to speaker output both balanced greatly reducing distortion caused by signal transmission.
Precise CNC Aluminum Alloy Shell, The outer finish is anodized and chamfered to bring a delicate smooth finish and reliable durability.
New Bluetooth 5.0 reception, longer transmission distance. Support APT-X, better sound quality.
Built-in SMSL SDB patented sound and treble bass adjustment function.
NjRC's electronic volume control chip NJW1194 from Japan precise volume control and low distortion.
2xGerman Infineon's new technology class D power amplifier chip higher quality, efficiency up to 92%,further reducing power consumption.
Large-frame low-leakage switching power supply transformer. The greater magnetic flux is far better than the dynamic performance of the power adapter.
Two levels power input filtering Bringing its own power supply purification process to thoroughly filter the mains
interference.
Specifications:
Inputs: XLR. RCA. BT
THD+N: 0.003%
SNR: 11dB
Channel separation: 96dB
Input Sensitivity/Input Impedance: 250mV/47k0
Output Power: 150Wx2(2Ω) / 90Wx2(4Ω)/50Wx2(8Ω)
Power Consumption: 40w( Normal Volume)
Standby Power: 0.5W
Dimensions:187.5X154X40mm(WxHxD)
Weight: 0.96kg
Weight(With Package): 1.45kg

MOONDROP Aria ---High-Performance LCP Diaphragm Dynamic Driver IEM
DSC06635-ok.jpg

Aria has almost the same looking as KXXS or Starfield! You may also wonder why MOONDROP uses the same naming as its predecessor, is it the same tuning and just different looking? Absolutely not! Not only the looking but the tuning are absolutely different! Generally, we don't recommend customers to purchase blindly, but Aria, with such excellent workmanship and at this price tag of US$79.99, can be blindly owned! Of course, the reviews would come out soon.
配件.jpg

DUNU EST 112 ---Custom Knowles BA Drivers Triple Hybrid IEM
DSC08543.jpg

EST 112 is the first triple-hybrid configuration IEMs among DUNU's product catalog. It actually features a quad-driver triple-hybrid setup consisting of a powerful 13.5mm dynamic driver, a premium balanced armature driver, and two high-performance Electrostatic drivers and it has got a price tag of US$489.99. No wonder, it's a star item since the official revealed that they will launch a hybrid electrostatic IEM!
DSC08482.jpg

SMSL A1 ---Class A High-Resolution Power Amplifier
01.jpg

6.jpg

SMSL updated two new ones into their catalog, the above-mentioned DA-9, and this flagship priced US$659.99, A1! A1 adopts a classical FET Class A amplifier circuit to provide better high frequency and feedback loop stability. It makes the transistor always work in the linear region, so the Class A power amplifier has almost no distortion, other than these advantages, the Class A amplifier is easy to construct with a single-device component and minimum parts count. This means then that the Class A Amplifier configuration is the ideal operating mode, which can provide a very smooth sound quality, a soft and warm tone, and ethereal treble. The users who have used their flagship P1 amplifier and D1 DAC know that SMSL's flagships perform beyond our imagination, so let's take a look at how unexpected A1 will bring us!

As always, read some parameters of A1:
Use high- quality components:
1.The front stage adopts parallel stabilized power supply
2.Low distortion, high precision, Volume control chip PGA2311
3.Imported Porcupine Power Transformer
4. High-quality audio socket imported from Japan
Powerful driving force:
Adapt to most speakers on the market, Powerful driving force, proper magnification and precise volume control make A1 can match most of the desktop small bookshelf boxes and most of the earphones and earplugs on the market, and adjust (for specific gameplay, please scan the code and refer to the official account article to Satisfactory timbre.
Specifications:
Input: RCA
Output: Speaker terminal (banana head) Headphone holder
THD+N: 0.01 %(4Q)
0.008%(82)
0.002%(32N)
SNR: 110dB
Channel separation: 105dB
Output Power: 15Wx2(4Q)
10Wx2(8N)
2Wx2(32Q)
Power consumption: 30W
Standby power: <0.5W
Volume: 210X205X39mm(WxHxD)
Weight: 2kg

In addition, a hot sale is holding at SHENZHENAUDIO store (shenzhenaudio.com/shenzhenaudio.jp/ Amazon/ eBay /Aliexpress) from March 29-April 3 (UTC+8), Most items are up to a 15% discount! Check-out or ask for a matched price/price guarantee are always welcomed! Our JP website is also greeting already to Japanese friends, you'll get a convenient and professional service through shenzhenaudio.jp! And lastly, our TOPPING D30 PRO giveaway will end after 24hours, check here!

We greatly appreciate your support, and yes, comments, suggestions, or other feedback are firmly welcomed!

Last edited:
ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Mar 30, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 17
That rear headphone output is way too dumb.
Its for speakers ths amp will kill your headphones the headphone out is just a nice to have thing

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Its for speakers ths amp will kill your headphones the headphone out is just a nice to have thing
I'd challenge that.

They've listed a power rating at 32ohm so I suspect they anticipate some users using it to drive the likes of an Abyss TC or Susvara.

I also think the rear headphone output is a poor design choice. Its a pitty it doesn't have balanced XLR inputs.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 17
DA-9 is an interesting amp. Plenty powerful and clean. As you'd expect a chip amp to be it is also a bit flat/sharp. Not warm or 'full of life' but it is a perfectly reliable (I'd assume) power amp for HTPC purposes. Very good for gaming, where I prefer less warmth.

Now on to the most important part.. the old DA-8 is a LOT warmer (Not s, I didn't like the s) in operating temp.The DA-9 runs STONE COLD in operation and still has an internal supply which is fantastic. There is one glaring feature missing though, sub out volume level adjustment. I'd have loved this feature.

I plan to give this a go in my main system, however I doubt it'll mesh well as my modded Akitika mitigates the forward nature of LS50 nicely. We'll see, maybe I'll be surprised. For the money and those hunting for neutral, the DA-9 is a slammer.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm also looking at the SMSL DA-9 to replace/upgrade my DA-8s. On my DA-8s I replaced the factory chip ceramic glue with something that is capable of high processing CPU's that generate much more heat which in turn made my unit run stone cold. I NEVER turn my class-D amplifiers off as they draw little to no current.

The one thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is that the DA-9's display cannot be turned all the way off. I hope this is something that S.M.S.L will address through a firmware update as there is no reason for OLED screens to be running unless you want them to fail before the rest of the amplifier does. Also, it's distracting to me to have extra lighting if it's not an Analogue VU meter. I hope they realise that not everyone wants the screen to be simply dimmable, it's only one more step to turn it off entirely.

I'll probably purchase the DA-9 regardless, though no doubt in 6 months to a year, there'll be an even better version by then.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm also looking at the SMSL DA-9 to replace/upgrade my DA-8s. On my DA-8s I replaced the factory chip ceramic glue with something that is capable of high processing CPU's that generate much more heat which in turn made my unit run stone cold. I NEVER turn my class-D amplifiers off as they draw little to no current.

The one thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is that the DA-9's display cannot be turned all the way off. I hope this is something that S.M.S.L will address through a firmware update as there is no reason for OLED screens to be running unless you want them to fail before the rest of the amplifier does. Also, it's distracting to me to have extra lighting if it's not an Analogue VU meter. I hope they realise that not everyone wants the screen to be simply dimmable, it's only one more step to turn it off entirely.

I'll probably purchase the DA-9 regardless, though no doubt in 6 months to a year, there'll be an even better version by then.
Thanks for your kind feedback, I'll phrase it to SMSL. Thanks again. Of course, we'd love to hear more feedback after you get DA-9.

ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Apr 12, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 17

The 8s never ran warm for me, so I never attempted anything with it.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 17
I posted on SMSL official's twitter account that I just placed my order for the DA-9. I am looking forward to it. I hope you can get SMSL to allow for turning off the screen all the way like the DA-8s could!

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 17
The 8s never ran warm for me, so I never attempted anything with it.

Mine never, ever was turned off except for upgrading the thermal paste. Mine runs cooler to the touch than my audio rack made of HDF or room temp. It's not a risky operation, the amplifier and chip is very easily accessible but I wouldn't recommend it as you'd void any warranty. There was zero difference to sound quality/noise. So it was a precautionary measure.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 17
DA-9 is an interesting amp. Plenty powerful and clean. As you'd expect a chip amp to be it is also a bit flat/sharp. Not warm or 'full of life' but it is a perfectly reliable (I'd assume) power amp for HTPC purposes. Very good for gaming, where I prefer less warmth.

Now on to the most important part.. the old DA-8 is a LOT warmer (Not s, I didn't like the s) in operating temp.The DA-9 runs STONE COLD in operation and still has an internal supply which is fantastic. There is one glaring feature missing though, sub out volume level adjustment. I'd have loved this feature.

I plan to give this a go in my main system, however I doubt it'll mesh well as my modded Akitika mitigates the forward nature of LS50 nicely. We'll see, maybe I'll be surprised. For the money and those hunting for neutral, the DA-9 is a slammer.
The variable sub-out should be something relatively easy to fix with a firmware update. Let's hope that they do this. Though my powered sub does have front panel controls, it's a little bit out of the way to reach. I'm looking forward to receiving mine as I just placed my order. Maybe there'll be a V2 later on, I'll buy that too. I like the fact that SMSL continues to improve with each generation. As for the amplifier sounding cool, the DA-8 was ICEPower and frankly it's a very, very old design. That amplifier board has been in so many products that i can remember having the same amplifier board in a TEAC amplifier in 2008. I would suggest changing cables to see what that brings to the table. You might find a cable that offers a richer sound. Not so much the speaker cables, but the interconnects. Speaker cable can get very costly. I have original western electric cotton sleeved twisted 16 gauge speaker cable and also NORDOST cable for my speakers. They have their merits. Cables do not all sound the same. Kimber Kable used to use a dye for their wire that really inhibited the sound after a week of use, they acknowledged this and went to a clear PET sleeve/jacket for their wires. The black and brown was a rubber material. The actual wire itself was the same.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 17
The variable sub-out should be something relatively easy to fix with a firmware update. Let's hope that they do this. Though my powered sub does have front panel controls, it's a little bit out of the way to reach. I'm looking forward to receiving mine as I just placed my order. Maybe there'll be a V2 later on, I'll buy that too. I like the fact that SMSL continues to improve with each generation. As for the amplifier sounding cool, the DA-8 was ICEPower and frankly it's a very, very old design. That amplifier board has been in so many products that i can remember having the same amplifier board in a TEAC amplifier in 2008. I would suggest changing cables to see what that brings to the table. You might find a cable that offers a richer sound. Not so much the speaker cables, but the interconnects. Speaker cable can get very costly. I have original western electric cotton sleeved twisted 16 gauge speaker cable and also NORDOST cable for my speakers. They have their merits. Cables do not all sound the same. Kimber Kable used to use a dye for their wire that really inhibited the sound after a week of use, they acknowledged this and went to a clear PET sleeve/jacket for their wires. The black and brown was a rubber material. The actual wire itself was the same.
I'm using very nice wire. My comparisons are to a well modified Akitika GT-102 with the likes of Pulsar CUii internal wiring, etc. I still prefer the GT-102 to the DA-9, but like the 9 very much for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back