a suggestion...
Jul 2, 2002 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
hey moderators,

i was wondering, would it be possible to make a sticky thread for best cd player under $500 in the amps/sources forum, best headphones under $100 and grado vs. sennheiser under the headphones section? may help on multiple topics, and it will be easily accessible to new comers and researchers at the top of each forum.

just a thought.

best,
carlo.

Jul 2, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 15
this sounds like a pretty good idea that is used quite frequently on most internet forums i see. 99% of new users don't run to the search function, plus i'm sure it'd be fun to have a really nasty debate about the topics mentioned by carlo.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 15
The idea may not be new, but it is good. This site expands quickly and almost every week, there is a question on the best < $100 headphones, by someone a little naively assuming that there is an easy answer as model X.
The problem is that someone has to write these overviews. Might not be impossible with headphones, but how with cd players with new models all the time?

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Good idea Carlo!

A faq with a list of the "best" headphones with links to reviews and the sort would be extremely beneficial.

As well as a faq answering many often asked questions (where do i buy beyers pads, etc etc).

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Sounds a cool idea to me...

I'm a little concerned that there is some confusion here though... are we talking an FAQ link/page... or a normal discussion 'thread' that could/should be moderated/edited to contain concise, and precise information much the same as an FAQ would be anyway?

Basically I'm asking... something us mods 'create', or something that posters create / add to with moderated edits (if applicable)?

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 15
...Or moderators could start sticky threads asking for favorite (oops, looks like i'm getting used to the American way of spelling
wink.gif
) equipment, and peoples opinions of it... and the top ten items could be listed with quotes from the original thread saying why the item is good?!?

That'd be kind of cool... wouldn't it? - or - was there something different in mind?

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 15
I think that's a good idea...start a poll asking for the top ten most commonly asked questions and threads from the past related to them. Then we could gather the threads into stickys.

Jul 3, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Guys/Gals,

Check out www.nancies.org/forums and read the faq forum, i think you'll see the way i think it could be set up.

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
gloco you person !

i can't believe you knowingly sent me to a dave matthews band website! excuse me, i must go wash my hands now..

very_evil_smiley.gif

hehe, sucka

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 15
dunc,

Quote:

or a normal discussion 'thread' that could/should be moderated/edited to contain concise, and precise information much the same as an FAQ would be anyway?

thats pretty much how i see it: lets say its the $500 cd player thing: people would post choices with impressions of the sound. it'd be a running thread as a sticky (a la' the headphone amps available thing) at the top of the forum, moderated, and just easily accessible.

vert,

yeah, that would be cool. but i have no idea what topics people want to have as choices, perhaps people could start listing them here?

gloco,

that link is broken, but i clicked around and saw the faq/getting started forum. that's not what i was thinking of, but maybe other people like the idea?

best,
carlo.

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 15
dunc,

Quote:

...Or moderators could start sticky threads asking for favorite (oops, looks like i'm getting used to the American way of spelling ) equipment, and peoples opinions of it... and the top ten items could be listed with quotes from the original thread saying why the item is good?!?

hmm, thats an interesting idea. you guys could take multiple quotes from users and post who said what about it. it may be cool to just search the archives (i know a ton of people have had "best headphones and why" type threads) and post some of the impressions under a sticky thread. i'm not too sure that this wouldn't just inspire more debate though...

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
dunc,

hmm, thats an interesting idea. you guys could take multiple quotes from users and post who said what about it. it may be cool to just search the archives (i know a ton of people have had "best headphones and why" type threads) and post some of the impressions under a sticky thread. i'm not too sure that this wouldn't just inspire more debate though...

Thats the beauty of this idea though... because you COULD have debates in the 'original' thread... and then 'we as mods' could go through... and for lets (for example) say Senn HD600s just have one post with good AND bad points quoted (two sides to every coin and all that) ~ we're allowed something like 100,000 characters per post... i'd hope that that would be enough
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Carlo...

I've started a thread here for the headphones... we'll see how that one goes, and then if things go well, start up threads for the other sections too?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back