A strange request.
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #16 of 36
Hey OP: Not to get off topic, but what made you realize that listening to music at low volume levels lets you hear more? I personally listen at the highest level I can without making the headphone sound harsh. I give myself breaks often to protect my hearing. What is your opinion on this?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:
Hey OP: Not to get off topic, but what made you realize that listening to music at low volume levels lets you hear more? I personally listen at the highest level I can without making the headphone sound harsh. I give myself breaks often to protect my hearing. What is your opinion on this?

Yeah I find most stuff sounds better at high volumes, it extracts the juice from the IEM or HP.  Just a guess, perhaps listening at low volumes in a quiet environment improves concentration, like playing chess with the music, idk haha.

The DT-48 sounds really interesting to me, wish I could access one.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #19 of 36
I always heard that higher volumes make the sound better because the frequency response of our hearing gets flatter as the volume goes up due to the equal loudness contour. 

The DT48 is not for everyone. They sound so different from everything else. When you realize why they sound the way they do, you won't want it any other way.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 36
Sony sa3000, even more cold and detailed with less bass than its brother.
Otherwise vintage stax and floats :p

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 36
From what i'm reading, I think the SA5k looks prefect for what i want.
Also, Eyedrop, i say that for a few reasons, for one, what kiteki pointed out, lower volume requires more concentration to hear details, and all the detail in the world will never matter if your not paying attention.  For two, i'm very, very sensitive to loud things, and find it uncomfortable to turn the volume up. And three, if the driver doesn't have to recover as much from movement, the quicker it can start doing the next thing.
Thank you all for the input, now i just need to save some monehs.
-Owl

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 36
From what i'm reading, I think the SA5k looks prefect for what i want.
Also, Eyedrop, i say that for a few reasons, for one, what kiteki pointed out, lower volume requires more concentration to hear details, and all the detail in the world will never matter if your not paying attention.  For two, i'm very, very sensitive to loud things, and find it uncomfortable to turn the volume up. And three, if the driver doesn't have to recover as much from movement, the quicker it can start doing the next thing.
Thank you all for the input, now i just need to save some monehs.
-Owl

Don't forget they require a warm amp to shine, you should be able to pick up a used pair fo around 250 hereabouts.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 36

i guess more concentration? higher levels probably causes more resonance around your ear too inside the cups and can be very irritating. i find it better listening at low levels as well.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 36
Don't forget they require a warm amp to shine, you should be able to pick up a used pair fo around 250 hereabouts.

i like the SA5000 off a transparent amp and source personally. if op wants a warmer sound. just get a warmer sounding headphone and done. he can always use eq as well if he feels like it(i personally don't use eq or tone controls for music listening and playback. it just makes me feel dirty and wrong for some reason).

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 36
i like the SA5000 off a transparent amp and source personally. if op wants a warmer sound. just get a warmer sounding headphone and done. he can always use eq as well if he feels like it(i personally don't use eq or tone controls for music listening and playback. it just makes me feel dirty and wrong for some reason).

Which amp/source are you talking about? Going with a more transparent and arguably "cold" setup will only emphasize the brightness of the lower treble and the sa5000's innate character, one that is thoroughly untame as it is. That's the reason most people recommend otl tube amps to counter the effect.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #28 of 36
Which amp/source are you talking about? Going with a more transparent and arguably "cold" setup will only emphasize the brightness of the lower treble and the sa5000's innate character, one that is thoroughly untame as it is. That's the reason most people recommend otl tube amps to counter the effect.

if curious, i just use speaker outputs always to drive headphones as well as speakers. just easier for me. main amp as of now is 1980's Yamaha M-45 class A power amp and using my echo audiofire interface as my main source and also as a passive preamp. dead quiet noise floor and good clean transparent sound. just does it's job i personally think.

i tried warmer amps/preamps in the past and even high output impedance headphone jacks(high output impedance on certain headphones might give a warmer sound due to less control in the bass region. i tried amps with 250ohm and high as 680ohm output impedances) but didn't like it as much as older yamaha gear. i find nothing wrong with the treble(the Sa5000 is bit bright but not piercing,grainy or sharp. it's very smooth). it's defiantly much more tamed compared to other headphones i heard and own. i listen at low volumes as well so maybe that can be it too. who knows.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:

I agree. The SA5000 sounds phenomenal to my ears with the ZDSE, one of the most transparent and "neutral" tube amps I've ever used.

Last time I checked the Zana Deux does not include a source.
It's all about perception, to me, the zana duex amp is less "flat" than the isabellina combo and has a slightly more warmer tone.
If you go back and read the sentiments for the sa5000 since its conception, it becomes quite evident a wide variety of opinions is offered.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back